How to covert std air cylinder to quickfill

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by JamDoughnut, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JamDoughnut

JamDoughnut Member

Club:
    Kibby
    Having successfully carried out this upgrade I thought I'd share this, as it's really easy to do yourself.

1- Drain out all air from cylinder - just connect to you diving cylinder and open bleed valve.

2- Remove valve from end of cylinder - you will need to make a little 3 pin tool to fit the holes on the valve.
    (takes a few minutes to make this tool, drilling holes at the correct centres and screwing in 3x M4 bolts)
    Unscrew main valve by turning CCW, it will be tight but a gentle warm and a bit of grunt will shift it.
    An oil filter tool helps too.

3 - Once the main valve is removed you will need a long 5mm Allen key or better a 5mm key on a socket extension.
    This will need to reach the length of the cylinder. Unscrew the pressure gauge with this Allen key turning CW as you look down the cylinder from the valve end.

4 - You will need the following which I ordered from Best Fittings -
    1x M10x1 male to 1/8 BSP male
    1x Air arms male fill valve ( pre 't' bar type)
    1x pack of 1/8 bonded seal washers.

5 - Put the cylinder in the lathe or get someone with one and turn the end knurled ring off allowing an external fitting cap to be fitted later. I turned it down to 34.5mm which you will see leaves plenty of material. you are not weakening the cylinder as this ring is forward of the threaded area. I also put in a recess for a retaining o ring to be fitted to hold the cap.

6 - Make a suitable cap to protect the new quickfill valve.

7 - Clean everything up and reassemble fitting the M10x1 end with bonded washer as shown into cylinder, 1/8 BSP end with bonded washer onto air arms adapter. tighten everything well.

8 - Put in the air and test for any leaks with a pot of water.

9 - Dry everything off and fit to riffle.

10 - Enjoy your handy work.:D

I have stripped he main valve down too as I am now getting it all anodised black :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    quickfill

are you on about the styer tube ..if so the thread is m10x1 and not 1/8 npt .
    so the adaptor you need would be a m10x1mm x 1/8 bspp

3. JamDoughnut

JamDoughnut Member

Club:
    Kibby
    Thanks Mike

On re-measuring there is a subtle difference in o/d 0.1mm but I guess it enough to make it a tight fit.:(
    Pitch seems about the same though.
    edited post to give correct fitting.

4. Jon

Jon Member

Two totally different threads neither will fit each other, no way should be forced in stripping the alum thread because its a different pitch as well.

5. JamDoughnut

JamDoughnut Member

Club:
    Kibby
    That's why the post was edited to give the correct info Jon :)