How much do you practice for an event ??

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Just after a bit of info on how much people practice & how you go about it, paper punching or shooting knockdowns? Do you practice alot or just get to the course & check your zero & get on with it, does practice actually improve your scores or are you a natural ??

I get to the club twice a week, paper on Monday & 10/12mm k/z targets to 25yds on Thursdays, Sundays i'm nearly always at an event.

How do you eat yours :D :shot:
    Steve

2. MonsterMob

MonsterMob New Member

Once a week mybe twice if i'm not knackered after work on a wed.At least get to shoot a 30 target course:)

3. skipper

skipper New Member

I generally have a quick zero before the comp :eek: but that reflects my scores, so on my report card from sparky and Mr dutton it says MUST TRY HARDER :D:D

......but i am determind to get to shepreth this year and iron out the creases

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Paper punching... hmm, well i'm always shooting a paper league, but I like to have a practice a day or two beforhand before doing a set of cards... just because I find 10m quite intense and there's always something to do better.

FT I don't really get the time for practice... i might go down the indoor range on a friday before the shoot for a touch base session / zero check... or I might pop down to weymouth if I want to get to the bottom of something, or fancy blowing out the cobwebs... but that's about it.

HFT, erm... nah... but i need to at least sort the ranges out... (been saying that for 2 years! :D)

I wish I had more time... given a 50m indoor range I think I could probably do something different and shooting related every day. I'd be single and broke, but it would be tempting :D

And simmo has posted some benchrest links... there's just not enough time.

5. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Got access to an indoor 55 yd range:D:D:D:D Practice at least once a week and club comps in between the majors. Still bloody turning in rubbish scores though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    When i get the Walther back from Mr Dutton may take you up on that invite:cool:

Pete

7. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Start using it m8:D:D:D:D:D

8. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Course out every Sunday at Quarry and sometimes practice in the week before a comp.

Pete

9. JAGXKRS

Would slap you but I was always told never to pick on the afflicted:p:p:p

besides I don't think I can reach that low :D:D:D

10. simmmo

simmmo Member

Rob the benchrest with 2mm bulls is f@@king addictive sorts out your kit and f@@ks your mind. The HFT is top of the kill and if you win you win. Shoot a course put the gun away shoot another course, cannot remember the last time I practiced for HFT rangeing is simple no matter what the KZ its just wind that does me mostly but I suppose that is the practice.Give the UKBR22 a go its kin fantastic.10 10 10 10 6 and the card is f@@ked.

Andy benchrest beginner.

11. JAGXKRS

You did well at the Worlds then Andy:p:p:p Was it the wind or the ranges???:D:D:D 60/59 would have got you outright second;)

12. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I practice as often as I can and I still don't think it's enough. This time last year I was doing 3/4 week nights for a couple of hours, then both days at the weekend! Now I've an agreement that it'll only be 2 week nights max and 1 day at the weekend.

I try and shoot the FT course at the Greyhound at least twice a week and generally shoot the course at whatever club shoot a couple of times after handing my card in. And always shoot the ones I missed until I get then 3 times in a row!

I'm not a natural shot so really have to work hard so I turn in performances I'm happy with, unlike a certain young lady who's currently snoring!:p;) Hopefully the longer I keep shooting the more consistent my performances will be. And I'll never spend as much time preparing for a comp as I used to for a Rugby match!

Ryan

13. simmmo

simmmo Member

So would 59/59 and as I don't do free standers that would have been the best I could ever have hoped for. I don't do range finding and once we get a few targets resized I can sort a click or two.

Oh and if you press the side of the butler creek it pops up Chris so you don' have to look over the top of the scope.

Monkey.

14. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

I used to practice at least twice a week, but now I'm lucky if I even get time to check the zero before a comp (as you will see by my scores in the worlds).

I really do need to find the time to get more practice in though

15. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

im much like steve l , i get to practice twice a week i think we need to do the in-door hft every thursday like we used to , i think regular practice keeps you on top of your game for sure . the paper target comp which my self and derek came up with about two years ago has a hft stance training background to it which is good for any new members joining the club ,gets rid of any bad habits from the start , the way the comp works is there is five shots per stance the first three shots are taken @25yrds then the forth @20yrds fifth@15yrds al standing again the same for kneeling , the only differance is the prone ,all prone shots are taken from 25yrds but to get a fifty point card you got to get all five shots in a ten mm bull without breaking the line not easy i might add . any ways thats how the hawks do there thing week in week out including local hft events and our own club hft events . :shot:

cheers nick.:)

16. Alegazmoz

Alegazmoz Member

Club:
    Buxted RPC
    Practice?​

:confused::confused:

17. JAGXKRS

Bugger thats where I went wrong:D:D:D:D

18. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I try to get to a club every weekend when there is a course on then go and practise on paper at least once a week if I can through the summer when it's a bit lighter.
    Does practise help ? Well put it like this I find that my shooting isn't as good in winter when I get a bit lazy and miss more practise sessions through the week.

Dave

19. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Since we bought our new house I am lucky to have two 55 yard rages in different direction. I shoot 10 pellets prone 10 kneeling and 10 standing minimum every day.

Since starting this my scores have gone through the roof. You just beet practice. Also I only paper punch for prone. With a modern pcp you should be trying to get 1 hole groups at 45yds.

Still cant shoot in the wind though

Gary

20. Feral

Feral New Member

35 yards max at home for me but I do have a 30 shot course set up, the only problem is time to use it :(