How many people shoot HFT in the UK?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Ceathreamhnan, May 30, 2013.

1. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    We've seen 350-odd at the WHFT, 200 or so at UKs, must be many more in regional series around the UK who don't travel to the bigger events. Could it be as much as 1000?

2. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    We quite often see 70-80 when we hold the Sussex interclub competition throughout the summer. Only a handful shoot the worlds or Uk's, so yes, there must be alot on club/regional level.

3. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

NW gauntlet also sees anything between 50 to 100 usually around 70 with many not competing nationally.

4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

The Midlands Daystate Hunter comps over winter are also well attended.

Isn't there a list of clubs in the UK?

My own club is a small club and probably only has 15 members with others that come regularly as guests. I'd say about 5 or 6 shoot Worlds/ Nationals.

There will be a difference between how many shoot it regularly and over a sustained period of time and how many have had a go or pop in and out.

5. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    is it now time for HFT to move to regional and national committees

6. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

No it works just fine the way it is.

7. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Errr.....

years
    Hmm.. a sport that has increased in popularity and become more successful annually over the last 11 years.
    Has a tried and tested set of rules that are easy to work to if you follow them.
    Is run by 2 dedicated and tireless individuals that both promote and compete at the highest levels.

And having regional and national committees would improve it how ?

Alex

8. stillwater

stillwater Active Member

Club:
    KSG, Misfits
    If it aint broke and all that.
    at Kibby last season we had 190 different people take part.
    the DMHS had over 120

9. blue dragon

blue dragon Member

Club:
    Rivington riflemen
    well put alex and greg
    atb steve

10. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

NO NO NO leave it as it is. It works well at national and regional level with the people who run it as it is.

WORLDS GREAT
    NATIONALS GREAT
    NORTH WEST GREAT
    MIDLAND HUNTER GREAT
    NEFTA HUNTER GREAT
    SOUTHERN HUNTER GREAT

11. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    just going back through the north west summer and winter series since 2010, we are getting between 160 and 170 shooters per series. Nice eh:)

12. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Committees in theory are a good thing ... they can allow all parties to have an input. In practice they can become time consuming machines that can clog up with people wanting to spend an eternity talking b*ll*x about trivial nonsense.

So it can be best if one or two people, who have the enthusiasm and drive to make decisions and get on with it, run the show. As long as they listen to reasonable input from others.

I've had the odd abrupt reply occasionally but I do appreciate the amount of cr*p that they will have to put up with.

It's gone from nothing to a big thing in 11 years and attendances are good. Keep going.

13. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

Can I be on it ???

LAity:D:D

14. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Getting back to the original question and not for a moment inferring there is any inadequacy in the current set up of HFT ...

At some stage this sport / pastime may have to represent itself to government or the press. It could be when the anti-shooting anti-gun lobby tries to have us all shooting pink peashooters with plastic pellets on the grounds that real guns kill etc. But at that time it would be really, really useful for somebody to be able to say, with authority: "HFT as a sport has grown from [this] to [that] in the past N years. There are X adults and children shooting, who are learning safe gun use, and it is a sport popular with women and children, with family membership making up Y% of clubs."

The various shooters insurance companies, the shooting magazines, the manufacturers, the RFDs and BASC can only guess. As far as I can see, UKAHFT has the best chance of answering that question, but "dunno for sure" isn't going to be of much use.

Would it be a major problem to require all clubs affiliated to UKAHFT to make an annual return regarding numbers?

Of course the risk is that UKAHFT might indeed become an "official body" for the sport, rather than an organiser of events and arbiter of rules. And please understand I don't for a moment mean to trivialise anything that the current organisers do or have done.

15. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    you could play the pound game on the way vote may go;)

16. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It's difficult to state exact participation numbers in both HFT & FT as you have people shooting club courses for either plinking or practice then you have open comp, club comps, regional comps & national comps plus of course you have comps that are run to variations of both sets of National rules (UKAHFT & BFTA)

As mentioned above what criteria would you use to say they have shot HFT plus there are probably more clubs who either use our rules but don't affiliate or run HFT shoots to their own rules.

We are the "official" body in the UK, the majority of HFT clubs in the UK use our rules or slight variations, there are also more that a dozen countries using those same rules. Not really sure we are the arbiter as such as although the UKAHFT organisers create the rules we don't force anyone to use these rules so don't have any ultimate authority & where the national shoots are concerned the Chief Marshals have more authority whilst shooting is taking place. The main job for the organisers are to maintain a set of rules which allow shooters to compete on as level a playing field as possible & run a national series of events.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Nice point though that there are lots of ladies and children shooting HFT ... and veterans ... and disabled folk.

Quite nice actually to see 200 folk including young kids and vets, male, female, able and disabled, all competing and chatting away at the same sport, and out in the fresh air.

18. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Then as the official body there's no reason why UKAHFT shouldn't require affiliated clubs to complete an annual membership return as part of their affiliation, such a return could indicate total membership, broken down by gender etc, and the type of shooting undertaken at the club, perhaps even with an estimate of how many members compete, on average, in any club HFT comp.. I'm sure such an exercise would get support from the various magazines and would thus drive membership / affiliation / competition. I think that driving club membership (and affiliation to UKAHFT as a by product) is an excellent way of promoting the sport and safe gun use.

I believe it is only a matter of time before yet more attempts are made to license or otherwise control gun ownership and use, and if you'll pardon the metaphor, forewarned is forearmed. :shot: :)

Again, let me emphasise, this is in no way any sort of criticism of the way UKAHFT is run or of the people who run it, merely developing some ideas for discussion.

19. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Sorry but you are trying to give reasons why we should find that information not the other way round.

I'm not sure that knowing the numbers/demographics of a club is going to drive membership, affiliation or competition but it is down to the individual clubs to run their clubs as they see fit & UKAHFT aren't going to start demanding figures from any club whether they are affiliated or not, plus getting averages & estimates of numbers is pretty pointless.

Figures for competitive shooting are readily available on the internet for a lot of clubs but it would be an enormous task to collate them & would probably be well below the actual number of participants, you could always ask the clubs yourself if you want figures.

20. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    The main reason, apart from curiosity, that I asked the original question is that when people ask me "what's that trophy for?" and I tell them what HFT is, is to be able to say how popular it is when they've never heard of it.