How many FT shooters in the whole UK ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Can anyone guess how many FT shooters are in the UK ?

I heard for example, that there are 2 million 10meter enthusiast/competitors in Germany ...

So for the UK, does anyone know with some accurate authority the exact number ?

Eg: Does the BASC or any other shooting organization keep numbers, like how many individual members for all registered FT or HFT airgun clubs in the UK ?

Thanks for any info.

:cool:

2. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    their is more 10 metre shooters in the uk,check bfta site for ft numbers who shoot comps,and hft sites on ere matey

3. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Just checked on BFTA...so checked "Graded Shooters" and went through all the drop down Clubs from A to W.

If the ' Card Number' is an indication, it seems therefore that there are 80,896 + (!!!) Ft shooters in the UK !

BUT, this does not seem correct, as the first 2 digits might be an ' area' code :confused: since there are not 80,000 names on this list...

Anyhow, have emailed BFTA, so will hopefully get an accurate number of FT individual shooters...

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    The BFTA will just show shooters who have registered for cards and is not an accurate measure of how many shoot FT in the UK, Some may only stay in the region and shoot FT plus now you do not have to register everyone in your club to the BFTA as its not a requirment of any insurance to have the card. as For shooting numbers not got a clue, You need to do a census of all the clubs to get that.

5. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor

There you go Peter..that should keep you quiet for awhile.:rolleyes::p

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

According to the Latest grading list the BFTA has 2631 register shooters

7. Jon

Jon Member

Knew there were over 2000 on the books years ago.
    What never happens is names taken off. For instance around 50 in my club of which i know of 8 could be more who i have not seen for years even at club level.

8. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Quite a few names have been removed over the last few years, Phil had a major clearout when he took over

In Jan09 there were 2962 on the grading list

In Feb10 there were 2175 on the list

There are now 2631 on the list

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC

I recon with the casual FT shooters you could be doubling that figure but only at a guess

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    club ft shooters their is 1 or 2 at the greyhound,i think they hav 7 bfta members and the rest just play,way over a hundred members,i no moxans farm at hinckley r in the bfta but have 90 members but no active ft shooters,purley chase has near 20 members and 10 of use do winter league 4 may be 5 do the gp's

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It varies between region depending on the approach to card carrying... some regions get every club member to get one, no matter if they actually shoot FT or not, others don't but the league/circuit shooters will buy one... so you have a mix between card holders that may not do FT, and missing names that may do it at a club level only, but aren't on the list.

Not an easy one to solve, been plenty of discussion how to...

Certainly though, if you look to FT and HFT, they're probably bigger than something like 10m in the UK i would suspect. Would be interesting to know the numbers of Bell Target...

Of note, it seems that HFT is more popular at grass roots level, with FT shooters often leaving a vacuum as they go onto the circuit... perhaps in part something to do with the thick national calendar, where as ukahft seems to be more spread and allows perhaps more time back at the club...

12. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    bell target

hinckley and bedworth we hav over a hundred shooters,ian stoddard would no more in the area he shoots

13. clubshot

clubshot Member

Lea Valley was a FT Club - Lucky if We can get 5 FT Shooters shooting Monthly Competition

More Shoot Sporting than FT -

Club has Close to 200 Members and most do not Shoot any Competitions

BOB/R

14. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Members

I believe that clubs send for BFTA cards when lads join.

Nelson always sends for cards as soon as people join to show how many ft club members there are.

It depends if club members want to shoot comps though. It would be nice to know how many club members there are in ft and hft in total mind. I know in Wales (WAFTA) there are approximately 60-80 members. At local ft comps the number vary from 30-50 at comps, the higher number in the summer.

Would be nice to see more people at shoots in WAFTA throughout the year, it is suprising how much work goes into the comps that are put on for the lads and ladies to shoot.

Berty

15. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    We should also rememeber that its not only the hardcore FT shooters who use the top kit. I have seen club shooters (who never go to the comps) using Steyrs, Walthers and Leup, Nightforce etc. scopes.

So just concentrating on FT shooters may not answer the question.

Dave.

16. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Why do you want to know?

17. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    FT scope project research...I have the "ears" of a US company and some stats on the FT market would be helpful :D , as opposed to S&B...and we all know how THAT turned out for them ! but on a mundane level, Its actually interesting as I got an answer from the BFTA this afternoon. One would think quite a few thousand FT shooters...but it turns out to be only an average 1600- 2200 UK FT shooters , due to the 60 or 70 clubs applying for individual cards, in any given year....

18. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I see, I take it your not an Ft comp shooter yourself? The numer of "serious" ft shooters and by that I mean shooters who compete at Gp level on a regular basis is very small, 100 -200. Of those, again only a small % say around 20 - 40 would be looking to spend "silly" money on another S&B type thingy.
    There are lots more Ft shooters in the country mainly doing regional level where perhaps the equipment level is much lower than at gp. Certainly so in wafta region.

Personally, I think the only door open to a new Ft scope is a 10-50 at around £400. Wonder when that will turn up?:D
    Be great when it does as I will recomend all our new shooters look at the new falcon before the nikko etc.

19. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Since 2006 UKAHFT have had 816 different shooters do the Nationals, from 1 shoot to doing them all, there is then shooters who only do it at club level and then some that only do regional series.

Pete

20. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    shell we do on ere start a new post saying chris lee shoots gp's in ft,and only shoots 1 or 2 hft comps you could do 1 for hft and 1 for ft saying clubs regions etc ft i think their is 200plus hardcore shooters who shoot gp's due to distance for travel and regions etc