How is your Steyr Challenge for POI shift?

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by bootneckbob, Sep 5, 2018.

?

Are you experiencing POI shift or not (specifically with the Challenge chassis)

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. I'm having POI shift and rifle is standard spec, damn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm not seeing POI shift and have floated my barrel so feeling smug right now

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. I'm not seeing POI shift and rifle is standard, back at you!

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. I'm still getting POI shift and have floated my barrel and am bloody annoyed!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Thought I'd try this as I've not done a poll before and I noticed someone else is asking the same questions I'm thinking.

My Challenge is totally standard and I really wanted to keep it that way, but I've seen my shots going high in this heat this season (first FT one with the Challenge but I've used 4 scopes this season) which I thought could be attributable to a few things as I'm not the only one who has experienced this and their rifles have floated barrels (and not Steyr either).
    Now I thought I could learn this movement and effectively dial it out but the weirdest thing happened to me on Sunday. I had done some testing earlier in the week and checked zero for 45yds which was all but on. The temp then was around 20C. On Sunday it wasn't much higher so at best I was expecting to maybe give a couple of clicks for a high shot but my first two shots went low. I didn't see the first shot tbh as the target was shot up (35yds) but the second was at 45yds and I saw the low hit clear as day. Although I was amazed it went low I went bold and gave it 10 clicks (1/8 moa on a Leupold Comp). From then on I hit the targets stand fast a couple for wind.

So, I'm seeing POI although I'd definitely like to do more testing now I've got my Leupold back.

Might be useful to add how much testing you've done and what you shoot HFT FT because I don't notice it when shooting at x9 HFT but have at x40 with the comp. Must add it's early days with the comp.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Have the guys or girls that floated theirs done it themselves or had it done professionally?

3. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    My challenge had poi shift..and barrel went off...quite badly after 30 shots..power was hard to settle...so a new barrel got it accurate and a reg rebuild back to the configuration of the older 110 before they changed it for the challenge seemed to sort problem....along with polishing everything that could be internally, and changing the reg pressure back to the original 110 level...sorted the stabilizer that wasn't 100%...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I haven't redone my FT rig yet (although got my FT Sightron back) but i've shot my Steyr (not Challenge though Bob) through all seasons for quite a few years with a 10 mag scope. We're lucky to have a full HFT practice course out and almost always have a FT course so we're able to shoot these in all weathers/temps. My 55 yards aim point on the 10 mag Sightron hasn't changed in years and that's shooting from 35 degrees plus down into the minus temps. I have no doubt that a rifle can shift POI due to temp shift as they are a mechanical beast but i suspect it's more down to the FT scopes.

luddite likes this.
  5. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Chris, I'm inclined to agree with you regarding scopes as I've only noticed it on my FT scopes not my Leup Mk4 HFT. But, I'd be the first to admit I need much more time testing, I've really just had to get on and shoot it in comps this year.

I'm going to assume yours are all floated? Although this was for the Challenge I know you could say it's the same for the LG. I just wondered if the three points of contact is turning out to be more of a problem or not?

My last LG110 was floated but I blame Mr Male for that! I didn't want to tinker but he had an idea which we tried on my rifle first (I thought he'd already done his) this ended up with me floating mine and he kept his standard. I don't think Tony's done too badly with that rifle, but when we used to shoot together at Nomads we never noticed one rifle behaving differently from the other.

What I noticed as soon as I started FT though was how you see everything when shooting at x40 instead of x9.

6. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Molly, is your's floated then or just had that work done?

7. Where's Molly

Club:
    M.A.D
    Floated....

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Yep mine is floated.

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

What is all that extra metalwork supposed to acheive on the challenge ?

I'd love to see how much rob would chop off if he had one

10. Where's Molly

Club:
    M.A.D

It stops me pressing down on the barrel with my finger when I do a supported stander!!!! I know dreadful habit I picked up when shooting the junior Annie.....drives poor Vince Holland batty when I shoot with him!!!.....

11. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Putting my recent POI issue down to the breech pressure not being set right after I last stripped and assembled the rifle. I noticed the contact pressure on the sidelever wasn't enough after the first couple of shots and mentioned to my partner I'd need to sort it out after the shoot. This is why I believe I had the two low shots before I corrected the error with the click adjustment after seeing the fall of shot on the second target. The rifle has been used at length over the weekend on two courses and various fill pressures and I've had no change. I even shot a fill on paper to check if there was movement from the first to last shot.

Lavant_Lad and chrisc like this.
  12. salvatore

salvatore New Member

I did it myself. It is simple and easy. Hand reaming ftw.

steyr_ff1.jpg steyr_ff4.jpg steyr_ff5.jpg steyr_ff6.jpg steyr_ff7.jpg

13. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Looks good. what's your clearance around the barrel now?

14. Total SS

Total SS Member

wish i had a long hand reamer

GoKidd likes this.
  15. salvatore

salvatore New Member

I used 19mm, long hand reamer. There is 1.5mm clearance around the barrel.

16. tworods

tworods Member

Club:
    Greenfields
    I read this thread with interest as I am considering getting a Challenge FT. Have people considered that the POI shift could be don't to atmospheric pressure and not necessarily Temp.

17. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    How much difference do you think it moves from the 14.7 psi in high to low pressures