How do you use your scopes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by emerey, Mar 23, 2011.

1. emerey

emerey Member

Club:
    Tiro Federal Argentino de Buenos Aires
    Hello, as i post in my presentation i ´m from Argentina. here we are just starting shooting FT, the fist year, 2007, it was a promotional practice, we use CO2, springers and PCP ´s designed for hunting or plinking, aka... "normal" airguns, all of them in .22 and FAC, (for your laws) on 40mm KZ figures, (Gamo i think).

this year, we decide satr one new category, called "International" or 12 ft/lb limit.

Well here goes the question, us, whith FAC rifles and .22 guns, (up to 1100ft/sec), never mind about "ballistics" and "pellet drop"... our scopes are most 4-16x or 8-24x

Seeing the big scopes used in FT worldwide mostly 10-50x. can you tell me, (or us), how use thise scopes at different ranges? I just try one 32x one week ago and at 7Mt must shoot hith "lower MilDot ´s" at 8x and 10 Mt, was enougth 10x, 20Mtr 24x and 50 Mt 32x BUT, i know and/or feel, there something wrong adjusting this way.

Tks

Marcelo:D

2. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Hi Marcelo,
    And welcome to Shooting the breeze.
    Most people in FT use a high mag scope on the highest mag to judge the range. This is acheived by marking the parallax ring/wheel with the ranges. (example - when the 20mtr target is in perfect focus, the wheel is marked 20mtr and when the scope is focussed on the 30mtr target, the wheel is marked 30mtr)
    So when you have marked all the ranges on the wheel you can then focus on any target and the mark on the parallax ring/wheel will indicate the correct distance. You can then work out your aimpoint/dialling.
    The higher the mag, the better this works.:)
    Hope this helps.

All the best

Alec.

3. emerey

emerey Member

Club:
    hello Alec! of course, we do the same way with any of our scopes, all of us use the parallax as a virtual "telemeter". my question goes more to the magnifing range at every target distance.
    Just as an example, with my EdGun Matador or my Talon SS ToGo both .22 and almost 960ft/sec with 15,9 JSB ´s i use no more than 12x up to 20Mt and 24x from 20 to 50 Mt.
    Again this ONLY in HFT and our promotional category... (i ´m thinking about our silluettes... all of them seem be build to Powder Guns! hahaha to thick for long lasting use. :shot:

Now waiting for a couple of 16 joule rifles here, is like a new start for all of us, imagine that, there are ONLY 6 to 10 A EV2 in our country! and a couple of Daystate, FX and Theoben.

Some "fellas" ask me to get some more rifles for us. all of them are charmed whit the "new" category

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I range and shoot all of my targets at 50mag, except for the standers which I shoot at either 15 or 25mag.

5. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

The BFTA site have a good document on setting up scopes for FT here. However I might have got a bit confused.

However a quick summary of the two main versions
    Dailing in.
    This is where at each distance the elevation turret is marked so that for 40yds is one setting and then a 20yd one is another. Usually find that the turrets are custom made so they stop turning just past the point of where the ranges start going down. As in my case 20yds is the furthest 'down the turret turns to.

Aiming off.
    Using the scope at one magnification and zeroed at a distance say 35yds. You shoot at an mark on a target at every 5yds from 10 to 55yds. You can then use the actual pellet strikes in reference to the mildots on a scope for example. You then have a 'chart' with all the aim points for each distance.

With regards the scopes shooting I range at 45 shoot at 25 apart from standers at 15 mag.

6. emerey

emerey Member

Club:
    Yes, i undestand both systems, i prefer the second, one thin we are using as reference by now is th ChairGun Bllistic Program.
    For example, a friend of mine, uses three "different charts" the first setting is fron 7 to near cero at 10x. then change parameters ando go from, (as example), 11,5Mt to 32Mt at 24x, finally the las one from 32 to 55 mt at full zoom (32x i bellive).

seems too complicate, don ´t you think?:rolleyes:

btw, in the las 3 days... i ´m sleeping 3 to 5 hours... the rest of the free time, i spend front of the monitor!!! my eyes look like this guy --->:eek:
    :D

7. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I also use the milldots (holdover) instead of dialling.
    I don't understand why he uses different mags for different ranges?
    At 50 mag, holdover can be just as accurate as dialling, but not at lower mag.

8. Jon

Jon Member

Emery i cant honestly say i know of anyone in this country that holds over thats any good. Everyone dials in the range, very easy.

Fast speeds theres very little drop off, very easy within 40mm from 20 to 55 yards with heavies.

At sub 12 ft/lb (16J) region its entirely a different game bringing in to effect the trajectory and wind over 45 yards.

I range usually on or around 50 to 60, if its tough maybe 80 for confirmation. If no wind i shoot on 60 and maybe a few at 80 mag, as theres no zero shift with mag adjustment like nearly all scopes however expensive.

What was the question again.

9. emerey

emerey Member

Club:
    don ´t now the question, but the matter is LEARNING... :rolleyes:

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yes, it's very complicated.

Most shooters rangefind with parallax on the highest magnification of their scope, and dial in. Quite a few lower the magnification to fire the shot though. The remainder of shooters take their shot on full magnification.

There are very few shooters who use mildots instead of dialing for FT.

For HFT where you cannot dial, many use mildots.