How do you store/put away your steyr

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by fireblade, Jan 7, 2014.

1. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    A few questions for all you wonderful steyr owners (or if your ginger and named conor....Brilliant pumpmeister)

Do you put it away filled up ready for the next shoot?

do you empty it?

Do you leave the cylinder attached?

Do you leave the cocking handle closed or open

or do you do other things in your routine?

(please keep all smutty comments to a minimum and pm them staight to conor:D)

Ta guys.

2. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    However much air is in it, sometimes I fill it back up to 180. The cylinder rarely comes off.

I take the pressure off the o-rings by slightly opening the cocking lever. Dave Semmens told me to do this, and he's mega.

I leave it in the gun bag for a few hours to warm up when getting home. Taking it out straight away results in lots of condensation.

Martin (Redfearn, A grade)

3. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    I always take it out of the bag, let it get to room temp then give the barrel a damn good rodding, then give it a wipe over with a lightly oiled cloth including the wood, it is a 100 circa 2002 still looks like new. Leave the cylinder screwed up, talk nicely to it (just a few loving words) then put it away in a peli case, don't leave it in the bag in case it is damp.
    Gary.

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

As soon as i get home it comes out of the bag for around an hour to aclimatise, then wiped down with an oily cloth before being put away. Air cylinder is not removed but topped up with air and the cocking lever left slightly open to ease pressure on the breech o ring.

5. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I agree with all of the above :)

6. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    hmmm interesting, anyone else care to comment? :D

7. AlexS

AlexS Member

At the end of the training I unscrew the cylinder but leave it in the gun. The steyr always stays outside, so there are no condensation issues.

Strange thing, yesterday the reg didn't vent when I unscrewed the cylinder. The same thing happened half a year ago and steyr changed my regulater. I'm alarmed now. Maybe it is caused by this kind of storage, maybe this is the only way to notice it.

Is this a common problem? Are you willing to unscrew your cylinder and check, if there also is still air in the valve for an extra shot?

8. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    If the gun gets wet at the shoot I always wipe it dry with some kitchen roll before bagging it up. When I get home I remove from gun bag and leave in the warm for a few hours then wipe down with an oily rag and pull through the barrel as many times as needed to clean properly.
    I then unscrew the cylinder so there is no air pressure in the reg un-cock the lever so ther is no pressure on the o rings, this also allows air to flow through the barrel and avoid corrosion.
    I then remove the butt hook and stand the rifle on its bottom in the gun safe till next time. Job done and I've alwYs done the same with all my rifles and never had any corrosion problems.

9. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    So in general, who would say its better to leave the cylinder unscrewed in without pressure in the reg?.

10. Bullseye basher

Bullseye basher Non member

Think about the Rifles that has quick fill systems and regulators, you wouldn't remove the cylinders from them would you? just something to think about. besides is there any evidence to support the reasons for removal or or emptying the regulators for prosperity there are some people who would say quite the opposite would happen.

11. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I was talking to our Hungarian friend Andras and he put up an excellent argument for not leaving the regulator internals under pressure. Made sense to me anyway

12. Bullseye basher

Bullseye basher Non member

Fine
    are you going to share his view on the subject.

13. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I like to warm my own up to room temperature for a few hours as if the gun is allowed to remain at outside temperatures, it takes longer for it to warm up when we go to bed.

Frank

14. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Basically what he was saying that with the cylinder still connected the belville washers are being deformed and will eventually weaken which will obviously effect the working of the reg?
    I may have lost some of the meaning in the conversation as although Andras speaks excellent English it doesn't take much to confuse me ☺️

15. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Cosy

I get round that particular problem Frank by putting the fleece nightie on I bought her for Christmas

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    OI

Oi paul . you told me you just chucked it in the cupboard , when done ??? HOLLY:):D

17. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Great idea Paul! I reckon I will have a problem finding a "onsey" to fit mine due to all of the sharp edges though. May have to consider taking a hair dryer to her during the cooler months.