How do I know when my head is correct

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by BigBluey, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

And before you all say its never been correct , I know that.

May sound like a stupid question but if you dont ask you never know.
    I am having issues getting my head position the same. Trying out a new scope (Lightstream 4-14x44FFP) but I am finding it dificult to reproduce the same placement everytime.
    Today I shot at a target 3 times and only got it once, although I placed my mildot at the same point.
    Now I know its down to PX error, but can someone please advise a way that I can reduce the effect, I have a perfect ring round the scope but I can move my head and the target moves about 5 mm each way, but I still have the perfect ring from the scope, anymore and I get a shadow.

Its driving me crazy and its costing me stupid points.
    Come on oh wise shooters on here, I really need to get this sorted.

Is there a way that I know I am absolutly 100% dead center to scope? then I can use it as a reference point

Simon

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Simon,

The method I use is to move the scope backwards slightly so you get the black edge of the sight picture inside the eyebell, if the eye is slightly off centre this sight picture will not be concentric with the eyebell but off vertically or horizontally. As long as the sight picture is centred your head is in the same place everytime.

Also make sure you zero your side to side on your scope at your parallax distance, that way you aren't risking zero'ing with parallax error.

3. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Sorry whats this mean?

4. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hi Paul

At the distance you have your PX set there wont be any movement of the reticule due to PX error, so its safe to set your windage at that range.

On windy days ill shoot closer plate's and/or see what movement other shooter's are getting. Much prefer windless days for setting windage though.

Mark

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

As an example... if you set your parallax at 23y but zero at 30y, you could therefore zero at 30y whilst getting parallax error due to a bad head position, this would then mean you will not be zero'd side to side at your parallax distance, you would also not then have a datum, such as perfect centre head position as you have no idea of your exact head position when zero'ing

If alternatively you zero side to side at your 23y parallax distance you cannot get any parallax error at this distance so will be setting your windage exactly with no error, then every other distance will be zero'd for windage assuming a perfectly central head position.

It's also no use winding the parallax setting on adjustable scopes to 30y to zero side to side as the ret could move when shifting parallax.

I've seen no end of shooters trying to figure why they are missing side to side at 15mm targets around their parallax distance as no matter where their head is positioned they are going to miss the crosshairs side to side.

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Thanks for the above Pete. Never even thought about setting windage at px distance, then setting elevation separately at zero distance. :)

7. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Thanks for that :D

8. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Hi Simon, there is no easy fix and to be honest the best I can do is suggest that you and me spend some time at Petes farm and at MAD, I don't Prapose to be the best shot in the country or an expert by any means but I do shoot both my walther and steyr with lightstream's on top and know a few tricks to help with your head position.
    As Pete said earlier just a simple thing like bringing the scope further back or forward can make a real difference.

Darren.

9. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

Pete that is something I have never heard of, but it makes so much sense. Thats why I ask these sometimes daft questions. Cheers mate

Darren, I would glady take you up on the offer mate, as per text, Thanks and dont put yourself down, your not that bad. :rolleyes:

10. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

What gun is it on Simon? Does it fit you right and what shape is the cheek piece?

11. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

Its a Platinum, ( I know not a BSA) who would have ever thought it :rolleyes:
    Its also had the cheek piece flattened off.

12. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

traitor!!!!!!! serves you right for selling the r10.. :p

you ought to check the left right movement, you remember when people kept asking why i didnt zero my setup on my crosshairs, ? i noticed drift with my tac30 more than the current panorama.
    if it where me id raise the cheek a touch so i had to rest firm on it. youl likly then feel when your not so square.
    but then i cant shoot straight at the best of times!

13. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

Wash your mouth out Tommy, Ive still got my R10,s and the Lightnings and the Scorpion and Cadet and Airsporter.
    I have raised the cheekpiece so I can rest my cheekbone on it, a little difficult with my chubby features but its doable.

14. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Oh, I see. So you're zeroing your windage at the parallax range, and then the elevation at 30/35yds etc.

That's clever. I would have never have thought of that. Makes a lot of sense.