Hot Weather

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by neilL, Jun 27, 2011.

1. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Hi
    OK I had a horrible score at GP5 score but I loved the ground and hope I can get back there again (Diolch!)

I had an Anschutz 2002 plus a Leupold 40x (BKL mounts but single strap and the 2002 has the 'bridge' add-on across the top) and at one stage I was just scoring 0s but once I took the hint and went for shade and cooled things down I got going again (and had a much better finish - too late though). The chrono said 777 (Exacts).

So, when it is warm what can happen and what is the best approach?

Rangefinding was still fine but I think POI was shifting with temp rises (and I just checked and found windage was out by an MoA .. sigh but trying to work out the wind yesterday was another thing altogether).

I have the uncomfortable feeling that both the Anschutz and the Leupold have warm weather issues but until recently it just hasn't been warm to experiment (it coped well enough with Wendover hahaha).

What are the experiences with guns, scope, combinations? Us novices would love to know :)

Thanks
    Neil

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Cant help you on the scope and gun as i have not used them, but do you carry your gun in gun bag?

Keeps the rain off it, or the sun to keep it cooler.

Comps are known to shift, but you will need to find your scopes shift point as for example yours could shift at 28 but others at 30 etc. Have a look at photos / scopes in use to see how many comps have temp strips stuck on them?

I did not have any temp shift problems with the ev2 but a few times had high strikes which i just put down to the warm air. Tended to only happen down the third field when the wind was coming seemingly straight towards us?

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    My march shifts above 26-28 degrees... once it's over it's over and settles again... so I learnt from Andrew Gillott and baked it in the sun... that got it up to 38 degrees!

The walther occaisionally has a hissy fit as well in high temps, moving POI up, but not speed... i started 10 x 1/8 clicks up from where i should be and had to work it out as it changed down to 4 x 1/8 clicks... fun and games.

It's normally the shoots without shade that cause a problem, not only because of the heat, but aslo because they tend to be more windy, and spotting shots land becomes more tricky. Same in some respects to bad weather in winter, where shots seem to go low on some rigs, and the wind pushes them wide. There's many reasons as to why you see shifts, but it's important to realise what is shifting, and ideally when, and then you can compensate more accordingly. But to do so often takes uncomfortable honesty with the kit. I know for the most part the most common shift will be heat on the scope, but i am not wholly convinced that walther doesn't still have it's own little quirk in heat which i've still got to work on.

For me though, the biggest heat issue yesterday was with me. A late arrival meant I didn't get the prep i wanted to done in time, which would normally be a large intake of water. As a result my shooting suffered, and it wasn't until i had a cold sugary drink some 13 lanes in that I started to actually shoot properly. I reckon not being hydrated and sugar setttled probably cost me 2-3 targets yesterday, more than any shift.

4. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Agree with Rob - the key part to get right is you. If you suffer in the heat then it doesn't matter how good your gun / scope is - you won't do well with it.

I was very surprised at the number of people who did not take their guns round in a bag yesterday. Its great for the gun but also allows water bottles and snacks for the shooter.

One of the first things to suffer with dehydration is your eyes - you need them fully functional in this game :)

Also - prep before the shoot - anti hystamine (sp?), water intake, food intake, insect repelant, sun cream etc.

Clothing is another consideration - I do not shoot well in a t-shirt so bought a gimp coat. Now I could sweat for England and wearing the coat is hard work in the heat but if I am going to travel 450+ miles for a shoot then I want to be competitive when I get there otherwise I could have gone down the club and saved £60

Try to arrive with enough time to get all your prep done and kit in order - again - 30 minutes extra in bed or get there early and prep for the comp. How much do you really want to hit those targets ;)

The gun / scope combo is down to spending practice time with the gun in different conditions.

5. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Is it too late to change my mind and accept the offer of some sun cream?
    I look like a Ribena berry.
    I thought I'd left the light on last night, it was me glowing :D

6. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I use a light coloured towel to cover my gun at all times , doubled up keep the heat off & also rain at times.

Take my Blue Stratos Gimp Jacket off in between lanes & again laid over the Haggis Cannon gives it a bit more protection from direct sunlight.

My Comp shifts at 20 Degree C , i know when it goes it's roughly around 5mm on wheel 2.5 yards.

Ran out of fluid by lane 16 , on the 5 hour drive home i drank 3.5 liters & no pee pee until i got home , dehydration ......................... Yes !

7. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

if you shot the afternoon session using a Leup comp, it would definately have moved in that temp, mine did, as it always does, not a problem because it does it consistantly.

8. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    My 45x comp moves at 20 degrees as well - I have a second mark on my pointer to allow for it.

My one regret from yesterday was not going on the plinking range as I came off the course to double check the gun in the heat. I think it would have been worth while to put my mind at rest as to what had changed.

I was that knackered though that I just wanted to hand my card in, get some food and lots of ice cold pop / water from the butty wagon :)

9. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    This is an interesting subject regarding drink,s i thought sugary drink,s were out when shooting .

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    They are for me as is any drink with caffein winthin an hour of starting the comp.

The can of pop I refered to was after the comp (and was sugar free anyway)

I only take water with me and an oat based snack bar or two.

My travelling partner drinks coffee as he shoots (from a small flask) so everyone is different :)

11. RobF

Club:
    depending on your arousal level, and where you are on the curve, they can help or hinder... low blood sugar can have as much as an effect as a high one... generally for most they aren't a good thing as the release is like a hit... slower energy releasers are better... bananas are about the best...

one thing that H learned at the weekend was that glucose drinks can help her under some conditions, but when water is being lost, they make it worse by sucking up more to release their energy...

it's not all cut and dried... i wouldn't attempt to try and promote a certain feeling, more try and repair a flagging one... i know for me that sugar hits work, but i know for some they really dont... milk is really good for me, but when it's really hot, the best prep is about 2L of water beforehand and another 2 around the course, and about 2 afterwards... i think in SA I was doing about 8. I also know I dip around 2-3 pm... i need something to kick me through that part of the day often... if i eat a slow release meal, it makes it worse...

12. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Really need to get buttoned what works with me but for fear of asking a silly question, not 100% sure what i'm looking for. Tend to shoot hungry but carrying and drinking water as if I eat prior to shooting can have a mega indegestion attack and that buggers me right up. Not sure how to determine sugar/no sugar though?

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I find that having a drink that is cold to take round is good. On hot days I take a 1 ltr drink that I froze the night before. Means that it takes a while to unfreee but at least is a cool all the way round.

I will also be takeing my gun bag around to keep water and some nibbles in on hot days. It has four puches that mean I can carry upto 4x 500ml bottles. I wonder if one of the hydro packs cyclists use would be any good, they would get lighter as you go round. Hmm experimentation coming on I think.

14. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Practice days at the club are for far more than just sitting on the plinking range and putting lead through the gun ;)

Try different things and see what helps and what hinders. Try various drinks (hot / cold / with and without caffein before you practice) For me I find that my pulse is elevated by either sugar or caffein. I can visibly see my pulse through the scope.

It may take a while but even small changes may help you gain a few targets

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  15. RobF

Club:
    Low blood sugar mild symptoms can be:

Hunger
    Abnormal thinking, impaired judgment
    Moodiness, depression, exaggerated concerns
    Negativity, irritability, belligerence
    Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep

There are others, but those are the look out ones for low brain sugar. It's funny, if you notice someone being unusually ratty, and stuff some food down them, and if they return to normal, then it's a sign perhaps. It's often difficult though to self assess. Lack of concentration does take some objectivity to detect, and the biggest symptom is usually an odd bit of behaviour.

Perhaps there's a noticable trend in performance (assuming a constant start point and conditions)? Start well and crash? Crash and then get better? Remember it's about how you feel you were shooting rather than the results.

But also remember that in order for the body to process sugar, it needs water, and lots of it. When you get dehydrated your glucose levels rise, you then have a different set of issues.

The general trend for normal day to day stuff is a litre of water per hour of exercise. 3 hours shooting might not seem like exercise, but if it was a walk in the park for 5 mins we wouldn't suffer so much ;)

High blood sugar mild symptoms can be:

Pronounced hunger
    Excessive thirst
    Wanting to pee a lot
    Blurry vision
    Tiredness

Usually if you have hunger though on it's own, it's just normal hunger :)

But remember i'm not a doc, so if you have concerns, speak to one.

16. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC

I normally experience all of the above in the first 3 lanes ;)

17. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    same here i suffer from all of them and on sunday by the last 8 lanes i was so hungry i nearly ate on darrens arm ,i am looking into some nutritional bars and taking more cold drinks ,
    i think i need a bloody wheel barrow to carry all my stuff

18. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    Being a border line diabetic in the last few year,s this thread has given me somthink to think about thank,s guys.

19. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Food for thought Rob (literally) cheers! Have found, especially on long or hot shoots the mind wandering and just wanting to get it all over with for the last 10 lanes or so sometimes. Although I dont want to stuff myself with food (the indegestion/heartburn issue) i'm thinking of experamenting with either banana or glucose tablets. Thoughts?

20. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    With family history among other reasons thinking along the same lines myself