Home Office's Independent Safeguard:Vetting & Barring

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Sep 11, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I've sent this up to the BFTA. so this should not be considered EFTA or BFTA advice or info, more my personal take on it... but it might be a heads up for others out there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8249020.stm

Looks like a shed load of more paperwork for the clubs & orgs... how this is approached I don't know...

http://www.isa-gov.org.uk/

25 (!) page FAQ here http://www.isa-gov.org.uk/pdf/20090618-FAQ_current.pdf

Below are some cherry picked items that I feel are relevant and my comments.

So, if I charge for an instructor's course, then I will have to do this if it involves minors.

So, we won't have to worry too much about some, but we will have to perhaps consider the requirements of those attending Sportability shoots if they require assistance from some one else to participate in FT shoots etc.

So that covers Range officers or marshalls for a start. There won't be a fee though for them.

Pretty straight forward to understand.

So all under 18's in the club or as guests...

2. martin c

martin c New Member

here we go

does that mean that any club member giving advise to a junior is liable or even shooting at the same time.
    quite what this will achieve apart from criminalising a large percentage of the population i dont know and i have been led to believe that many offenders {and we all know who this is aimed at} are friends or family of the victim.
    so like i said here we go

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

As a registered foster carer I already have to go through an extended CRB check so it will be interesting to see where I stand on having to register.

4. RobF

Club:
    Martin, I think it applies if they are acting in a supervisory role up... so accompanying one on a course as a buddy marshall, might well do, running a shoot i'd say yes, just being near one on a shoot, no. (in my opinion)

Certainly organised training/coaching yes. And you should check that you are insured to coach and train anyway, because the insurance requirements are quite specific on that under some schemes. I raised this with informally with an NGB rep recently as to what the advice was between the difference between coaching/training and just giving advice, and it's a grey definition that seems to rely on the intent at the time as to the depth of contact... ie a few short words about how to hold a gun, advice... 10 mins to one side working through a position... instruction/coaching/training...

bloody minefield!

5. RobF

Club:
    Have a dig in the FAQ link Chris, I think that is covered... I didn't quote it as it only applies to a few...