Highly amused by YouTube pellet cleaning videos

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by heidi, Aug 4, 2014.

1. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    This is not to insult anyone on Youtube just my amusings.

Pellet cleaning videos technically I can see the point [just] that's where it stops.

99% of the videos show the pellets dumped in various glass tubs/coffee pots etc filled up with hot water along with various forms of washing up liquid [wow men do sometimes come in contact with washing up liquid [maybe my husband should watch these videos]

Once the pellets have be swirled around in the liquid they're then dumped into a drainer.. This is where I find things amusing

Cleaning pellets supposed to remove lead residue/moulding junk [I can understand that]
    Why then dump the cleaned pellets into a drainer swish them around which will cause chips etc
    Then they're dumped back into a pellet can ??????? [Now that's lost me totally]

In short why wash the pellets to remove the lead junk just to dump them into a can which will knock the pellets around causing more lead junk !!!

Am I missing something or taking life too seriously

Answers on a post card please

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Dishwasher works best for washing
    Tumble drier is best for a good thorough dry after washing. I've tried the clothes line but the pegs are a bit cumbersome.

3. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Think we get a thread every month on this but I use the SoYo Method:

1. Open Tin
    2. Select Pellet
    3. If damaged leave on the floor for our Andy. (Which he then knocks are target over with!)
    4. Select Pellet
    5. Not damaged, Shoot it.

Seems to work.

4. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    You're all wrong!

1). Empty tin of pellets into rugby sock.
    2). Tie knot in sock.
    3). Place sock containing pellets into washing machine.
    4). Select "hot" cycle. Add "Persil better than ever before, much improved whiteness Mk.2"
    5). Press "go"
    6). Wait an hour.
    7). Remove sock containing pellets.
    8). 90 minutes in tumble drier

9). Hey presto - clean pellets and a clean sock. You can do the other one later! :lev

This has an added bonus too - the sock can be tied to your belt, with the pellets still in it, negating the need for a fancy pellet pouch.

(Sorry, too much time on my hands, must do some work now!)

5. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    Highly amused

I think im going to try your method

Open tin of pellets
    Put pellet into rifle
    Shoot pellet
    Repeat

6. Catabatic

Catabatic New Member

Don't forget to blow, kiss , roll between fingers, pray over and any other ritual that ft shooters seem to do before inserting said pellet into breach

7. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    amused

Not forgetting when the shooter misses the 10 "It's the guns fault" and definitely not the shooter.

Heidi

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Ah, but if you then remove all mechanical/ballistic elements from the shot cycle a miss can ONLY be the shooter. Thats why some people do the full on pellet prep.

9. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    The thing is heide with folk on here is some will be having a laugh and some wont, you will learn who to listen to and who not Chrisc is a guy to listen too .

10. Catabatic

Catabatic New Member

Yes but the trick is to be clever enough to be able to remove the mechanical and ballistic elements that affect the shot from breach to target it's why we keep on tinkering and tweaking

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I have to admit that in the past i have done the whole nine yards when it comes to pellet prep. Washing, weighing,lubing and sizing and still can't really say that i have seen noticable benefits. Mind you, i feel that i can group quite well on card and any anomalies due to pellet/batch/barrel mismatch would become apparent quite quickly. I aim for a group around the 10mm mark at 35 yards and can get that with a decent batch of JSB's straight out of the tin. However....i have noticed that my Steyr does prefer a fairly clean barrel and i think washing/lubing might help with that. Currently i have an excellent batch of JSB 4,52's and have 120 tins so nothing for me to worry about for a few months;)

I would still like to get a tin of my good batch and wash/lube a few hundred to see if the group sizes reduce and also to weigh a few hundred. It's the long range groups that i like to see tight and my current batch is pretty good down range despite being average over the chrono (10-15fps). It's worth trying these things as barrel/pellet combinations can be really weird and to dismiss the whole wash/weigh/lube/size regime as daft without trying it yourself......is errr, well daft:D

Think i will prep a tin this weekend just for experiments sake....:D

12. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    You'll need to remove the Div Unit from gun Chris, they cause to many variables for the results to be accurate. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. wullie72

wullie72 Member

Club:
    Bedlay Airgun Club
    What about the pellet temperature lead is a soft metal and is more plyable the hotter it is :D just saying;)

14. Catabatic

Catabatic New Member

I don't think that the temp of the pellet matters to much cause when it gets smacked up the arse end by 100 bar it will take the shape that the breach and barrel dictate pellet to barrel match is where the big gains in accuracy are the smaller more crucial gains need a little more work especially in the twilight ranges 45-55 yards now if you take air temp now that is a whole new world