1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Targets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Gibbs, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Whatever happened to high targets?
    I shot FT for a couple of years back in the late 80's early 90's and there used to be a few targets high in the trees. Have they all dissapeared? Or is it just Cornwall that's short of them.
    I did see a couple of high-ish targets on the GP circuit last year and I noticed they were fitted with two strings so they didn't cause any holdups if a string broke.
    I realise they are harder to set up and maintain and they could cause legal issues when a pellet misses and heads for the boundry fence! But is there any other reason for their demise?

2. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Health & Safety ?

It ruins everything else so why not Field Target :eek:

Calps always puts a few high ones in at Anston.

3. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    Alec

Come to SWEFTA League 2 at MENDIP on 20 March ..... we have a good few in trees! ;) ;)

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Hi Tony,
    I missed the Mendip league shoot last year due to illness, so it will be good to get back to that course (for only the second time)
    I think the only high targets I shot last year were at Anston.
    Atb

Alec.

5. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Club:
    Purleychase
    We have plenty of trees at Purley Chase, so could be a few on the 20 th.

6. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Really need to stop taking notice what the daily fail keeps telling you! :D

7. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    our winter league this month will hav their fair shair of up the trees im the nutter going up up and away,at purley chase,also millride ,harriers,far coley,castle,and dowry this year hav had their fair share of up the trees,must be a midland thing and anston do it as well

8. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Nope, us Islander must be part monkey as we just love trees. We have access to a 20ft ladder and a mahooosive triple ladder if needed (might well be for our Winter League round :rolleyes: .

Trees and sloping ground just make for such interesting shots. Ground slightly sloping down with a high tree target means you just can not get to a stable position. If you choose the right spot then its the same for right and lefties.:D

9. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Flat shooting surface

Are you saying your trying to make it a wobbly shot? Cant say I agree at all if so as it should be a test of shooting, not lottery which is what achieved by an unstable shooting position?
    This was my only problem with Buccaneers, the three lanes where the ground was sloping made shooting 2nd place to managing to sit still, or kneel.

Alec, you shot two high and long targets at Tondu, Gp 3. Think you hit both of them?

10. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Yes, I thought there were some at Tondu. I think that was my first and favourite GP course of last year. It was a tricky course and a tad windy too!
    It's starting to look like it's just SWEFTA that has forgotten about high targets!?

11. Dale

Dale Member

Some courses just don't have places to put high targets.

Also given the law requires that pellets must not leave your boundaries, I would guess some clubs may be concerned about that as an issue as well.

12. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Wrong choice of word on my part, it was more about getting the core position correct. By having the feet slightly lower than the body the natural aim point is lower by then placing a target slightly higher (15ft upwards) the elevation of the supporting hand/arm can then come into play.

I find having targets 20ft above the gate work out quite well, especially if 20ft above the gate is in reality 60ft above the ground :D

13. NJR 100

Club:
    Ah, i see. That actually helps me due to the roundness of my standing ballast support.otherwise know as 10 bellies.:eek:

14. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    On high shots do you aim low in the kill, and when do you think about aiming low (15 degree angle). Also does it depend on the range? Does the same apply to low shots?

Sorry if I've highjacked a posting.

Dean

15. NJR 100

Club:
    Cant honestly say i have ever done it no.

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Been to a couple of shoots where it's been required, but unless it's seriously steep I don't usually bother...

The rule is you're supposed to range the horizontal distance and use that, then no need to aim down, but that can be difficult with a tree because it might not be directly above the trunk base...

One of those things where a bit of experimentation pays off to see the effect... I'll be having a play with it soon so I am ready for Euskadi, where there's a lot of up and down shots.

17. blackscale

blackscale Member

I only shoot HFT at the moment but if a target is at say 30-40 degrees and say 25yds to the target, the pellet will strike 10-15mm higher than normal in my experience, same down hill!

:D:DX

18. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Thanks for replies.

Those shots at 25 yards would be missing reducers if we have them at that angle up trees (and you aim dead on)- could be interesting if they are like that in the GPs - with wobbles and all.

I remember, a downhill shot (standing) in a GP last year. - think it was Anston - about 15 yards and very steep angle downwards (standing on a pallet) - where should I have aimed? Still think about missing that one!

Dean

19. NJR 100

Club:
    It was anston dean, my last lane! Took it straight down the middle.

20. blackscale

blackscale Member

I would aim low...:D:D
    Pellet should strike higher than it normally would at 15yds!
    Actually i remember all the banter about that shot....sometimes there are shots you just never forget!:D:D

XX:D