High or low scope mounts?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by gavin hopps, May 9, 2013.

1. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi im new to comp shooting. And have seen people with scopes close the the rifle barrel but i have also seen people with the scope realy high up off the barrel.
    Im wondering if there is more of a benefit for one then the over. Or is it more up to the shooter.
    Thank you gav

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Higher mounts can give a flatter curve on the longer ft tagets, so less clicks and thus if you mis range more chance of a hit by not dropping or being to high, wind not an issue. slight down side is more clicks at low ranges.
    Lower mounts usually more for Hft ranges to give a nice flat curve around 15 - 35 yards, though i know some ft shooters that do well with lower mounts.

Try a set up up with both, but remember to go high if going high.

3. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    typically low mounts will give you tighter close range aim points and high mounts give tighter aim points on your long ranges.

4. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I suspect you are doing HFT, if thats the case then you are best off using low mounts, ie keep your scope close to the barrel.

5. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Ya i am doing hft. Well i think i will leave it as it is with low mounts then. But i will give high ones a go as im thinking of doing some ft comps next year as well.
    Thanks everyone

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    You can get raiser blocks from Sportsmatch which will increase your height without having to change your mounts, also a rail made by AJP or Jon and you can slide the mounts onto it. Would be an option if you wanted to keep you mounts the same and no fiddling with removing the scope from mounts and having to set eye relief, align cross hair and rezero.

7. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Use the mounts that suit you ;). No point in low mounts if you have to get into a uncomfortable position to use them, use higher mounts if they suit you and learn the aim points. I have a longish neck and find low mounts impossible, prefer high mounts myself. A comfortable shooting position makes for a more accurate shot.