High mounts?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by shinything, Mar 2, 2012.

1. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Hi I'm new to Ft and was wondering if there is some kind of an advantage to having high mounts, I've seen a lot of people with them but every think I have read befor about rifle set ups says to keep the scope as close to the barrel as you can.

I have ordered some high mounts any way now to see what all the fuss is about I don t want to miss out.

2. skires

skires Well-Known Member

One of the FT guys will be along to give you a proper answer. I think when you are shooting using a 56mm front objective lens you need to use high mounts to get clearance of the front of the scope.

You then need a higher cheekpiece to line up the eye with the higher mounts/scope.

Generally using higher mounts means that the holdover ( or dialling ) is less at longer distances than your zero. So that can mean the ranging at longer ranges is less critical.

The payback is that you then normally get more dialling to do at the close targets.

Anyway ... like I said a proper shooter will explain better but that's a nutshell's worth.

3. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Hey thanks for that makes perfect sence to me now.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    chairgun will give you a rough indication if you enter details about scope height, pellets fps etc correctly.

it seems to get the flat trajectory at the more common Ft ranges of 40 + yards, you will need a scope quite high above the barrel.

take a look at BFTA Chamopion mniel daniels set up. his Leip Comp is high above the Walthers barrel.
    the disadvanatge is on the fewer shots below 40 you may go more than a full turn out on dialing?

Experiment with your set up and make note of results, see what suits you best?
    what are your weak points etc?

5. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Have you any idea where i can see a photo of his set up?

I had know idea what i was getting my self into when i started doing this started of with a s400 now i shoot with a panther, but im sort of wishing i tryed a ev2 but the club on the isle of wight is quite small and there is not really meny diffrent rifles to try. what im trying to say is boy there is a lot of stuff to learn and there is some expencive mistakes to if you buy the wrong kit.

6. TourneySteve

TourneySteve New Member

Club:
    Midshires
  7. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    This is right - if you shoot HFT or shoot with firearms. But not for FT.

High mounts have two main advantages:
    - more comfortable & upright head position
    - less effect of misranging at greater distances
    Some say that higher mounted scopes are more sensitive to canting but this is only a myth so don't be afraid to raise your scope.

8. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Thanks for all this info guys just looked at my order and it says nikko high mounts 1inch dohh
    So just tryed again got sports match this time 30mm

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    UP

You need to get your scope three and a half inches above the barrel , optimum . any higher leads to more problems than it solves . i have gone as high as six inches , but on occasions i hit the ground . you will need a very good , big level bubble to make sure you do not cant the rifle . plus you will need to do all your ranges from 8 yards to 25 yards , every yard . oh and you need a quarter click scope . i have a eighth and i have to go around 4 times for 8 yards . bit of a pain but it does work and it gives you a good head up postion too ??? HOLLY:):D

10. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

I have a bit of a variation on Holly's answer - my scope is restricted on the turns from 10 yards to 55 yards. Below 10 yards the scope bottoms out on turns and I use mildots - a bit of both in that respect :cool:

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Then buy a leupold ??? HOLLY:):D

12. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

:eek: or I could alter the turret, but one day doing that, I just know I will go one turn out :eek:

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Not ?

Well you are not wrong there . i even did it with the so called impossible to do it with S&B at newbury . see quite proud of that . they said it could not be done . oh yeah ??? HOLLY:):D