Hi from South Wales

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WelshAndy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. WelshAndy

WelshAndy Member

Club:
    Tondu AR & FTC
    Hi

My name is Andy.... suprise that! :D

Ive been shooting Airguns, shotguns and firearms for nearly 30 years. Im originally from Risca, South Wales, though now live nearer Carmarthen. I used to shoot some FT in the early days at the Travellers Rest, penyfan pond site. which some of you will remember.

Ive read this site since the early days and am impressed how its grown. I enjoy the friendly atmosphere here.

I have more air rifles than I can remember :eek: . Its not that theres lots of rifles, just that my memory is bad. :D

I would like to get back into FT/HFT, though I think my main rig, a .177 R10 is geared more towards HFT, and my preferred shooting position is suited more to FT... Not to good from kneeling.

Ive been training lots and am using a friends Barn door and can now hit it 3 times out of 4, so lots more practice is needed. :D

Andy

2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Not a bad standard 3 out of 4 on a barn door I think I could match that if I was inside with the door shut

3. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Honestly

Steve,

Doubt it heehee....

Berty

4. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Morning Andy

Morning Andy,

I remember the old ground at Blaenau Gwent with that wind fella, was a bitch of a place on times fair play...

As your now living in Carmarthen, I think the nearest FT club is Tondu, which is the same ground as it has been for years, not sure if you shot there before though, its near Keens Guns in Aberkenfig....

For HFT, Quarry is the main club in Wales for that, they have been running for many years now and are at the same ground they have ben for again many years. So there are options there for yourself to think about club wise.

Hope to see yourself soon at some comps anyway...

Mark "Berty" Bassett

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Welcome on board :)

6. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Hi Andy,
    Welcome.

Afraid you got a bit of travelling to do for your nearest Ft or Hft club, We in Tondu are nearest FTclub as Berty says and its Quarry for dedicated Hft.

Saying that, there are plans to put out a HFT practise course over the coming months at tondu.

Be great to see you pop down to Tondu soon, will pm you details etc.

simon

7. Rhys

Rhys Member

Club:
    Freelance
    Hi Andy,

Im not far from you, Kidwelly and Llanelli depending on whether im in my house or the parents.

There is a target club that meets on Carmarthen showground. They have indoor 10m in one of the cabins and some outdoor targets in the field. Its no where near a HFT/FT club, but they do have some facilities which are fine for practice. They do alot of work with disability shooters and are as far as i know the foremost club for this, with memebers travelling to comps all over the world.
    If its proper HFt your after, then as above, Quarry etc are fantastic you will love it.

Regards,

Rhys

8. WelshAndy

WelshAndy Member

Club:
    Tondu AR & FTC
    Thanks guys!

I have heard about the club in Carmarthen Rhys, though thought id go somewhere that had more regular ft/hft comps. BTW hope the wedding went good, I see youve bought some new guns!! That pump is still going strong.

I had thought of tieing in shooting at quarry with visiting family etc. but I dont think I could visit them that often :p

Simon youve invited me to tondu previously and I never got around to going so now will make an effort. will pm you back thanks.

Yep berty it really teaches you about the wind having shot there. Not that I ever get it right now though!!

9. Twang

Twang New Member

Club:
    Isfjorden FTK
    Welcome

Welcome Andy ;)

Norwegian Andy

PS. Do you have your name written under your shoe ?

10. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

problem with barn doors is they are not a standard size so they can be quite difficult to judge the range!:)

welcome matey!

11. Dazzzle

Dazzzle New Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi Andy,

You will always find a welcome at Quarry, theres usually a challenging course on a Sunday.

12. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Fixed it for him ;) Andy welcome to the forum and if its HFT in Wales then it has to be Quarry "The Home of UKAHFT":D, you would struggle to find a better club in UK three of us do a 120 mile round trip and there are 3 others that travel a lot further to shoot there and we have to pay to come across that bloody bridge:D but its worth it;) small comp this Sunday :cool:

13. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Judging range

14. WelshAndy

WelshAndy Member

Club:
    Tondu AR & FTC
    Thanks guys, I shot at tondu yesterday and great guys, really helpfull.

My equipment was somewhat under spec. I tend to use gun shops, I think they all get their equipment from Nasa :p

Im going to get rid of some of my stuff like unused sporters etc and invest in a new scope for starters.

I will be in Gwent next weekend or the one after and will come along to quarry so thanks for invite, Its just I'm rubbish at kneelers. :eek:

And its allways worth the bridge toll to get into Wales :D ( I would normally add a rugby comment here but think I'd better not for a while :eek: )

15. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Next weekend is the UK National at Treetops, Newport mate. I doubt Quarry will be open;)