Hi All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Carl, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Carl

Carl Non member

I'm looking to start Field Target shooting with a local Devon club in a couple of weeks after I get over an operation. Only ever shot a couple of crappy air rifles before but quite a bit of full bore handgun in the 80's. Looking forward to a new hobby and discipline. I haven't got a rifle or scope yet. Thinking of an Air Arms S400 to begin with but no idea of scope. So any opinions would be most welcome. Anyway have a good day ya all. Cheers,Carl.

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Im not improving in Nefta Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Hi and welcome.

Go to your nearest club ( google swefta clubs) and try out the kit in use before buying anything. There is always something for sale locally so you may well pick up a nice bargain.
    Perhaps you can make the east Devon shoot in February.

3. The Inkerman

The Inkerman Banned

Club:
    Castle
    If you've got money to waste go out and buy all the top range gear & look the part.
    If you haven't , then buy what you can afford.
    First things first......learn how to shoot that wind ! ;)

4. Ewan

Ewan Ewan

Club:
    Iden Ferns
    Firstly Hello & Welcome to STB Carl.

Yes you can go & buy the S400 (my lad has one) as it's a very capable rifle, light & easy to maintain.

I always try & buy the best I can afford at the time or save up for longer, don't forget about the other things as well like scope, bag or case, mat or bean bag, filling bottle, clothing etc as it does soon mount up.

I knew when I started shooting again I would enjoy it so I opted to buy the kit I have as I didn't want to 'sell & upgrade' later on, in a way it saved me £'s.

With the S400 I would look for it in a better stock than the beech one as it's very basic & not good for FT if your serious.

An MPR may be a better choice but doing some homework first always helps you make a good choice in the long run.

ATB
    Ewan

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Hello Carl,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of air guns. You'll find lots of us ex-pistol shooters about.

As Simon suggests, visit the local club and see what others are using. Then see what type of shooting you like the look of, as all clubs in SWEFTA have zero ranges, FT and HFT courses, plus, as has been said, there is always kit being sold at good prices, with the advantage to trying before you buy.

The SWEFTA web site will give you club contacts, and shoot dates if your into competitions.

Take a look at: http://www.swefta.org.uk/

6. Carl

Carl Non member

Thanks for all your replies. I am going to East Devon club on the 23rd to have a chat with Jeremy Stamp to find out more and what the next step is. Looking forward to it.

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Look forwards to meeting you at a shoot sometime.

8. Carl

Carl Non member

Likewise. Just have to get my hand working and sort a rifle and scope out!!

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    There is always s/h kit for sale around the region, plus Ronnie Sunshines in Newton Abbot is run by a SWEFTA member and ex-FT 'name', so plenty of good kit and advice about.

10. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Good man! He'll get you sorted. Hope to see you in the Summer League

11. Carl

Carl Non member

After searching high and low I have finally bought a Weihrauch HW100T .177 with Hawke Vantage 3-9-50AO IR scope. East Devon FT club here I come.

12. Darron

Darron Trainee Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Welcome and good luck with your FT journey Carl

13. Carl

Carl Non member

Thanks. Looking forward to it.