HFT500 vs Steyr HFT Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Grant Stretch, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Grant Stretch

Grant Stretch New Member

Club:
    BFTO
    As ever at this time of year I am writing my letter to Santa and am wondering what to put top of the list - HFT500 or Steyr HFT Hunting. So just wondering if anyone out there has used both guns and if so what are your thoughts on the pro's and con's of each. Thanks

2. SJR

SJR Cleanest giblets in Yorkshire

Club:
    Anston
    Hi mate,
    The steyr is the better option trigger is far superior but try the hunter stock before you buy they don’t suit everyone.
    The HFT 500 is an accurate gun but the trigger lets it down.
    They’ll both knock targets over so does it just come down to price.
    You’ll pay a few hundred quid more for the steyr and it won’t be noticeably more accurate

3. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Same kinda advice has the man above the steyr has the better trigger also the steyr stock might feel better adjustment wise.
    If possible try the two different rifles at a club or a shoot if possible.
    Yes the steyr costs more and has above probably no accuracy gain.
    Air arms steyr walther Anschutz all have differences but all accurate if you do the right things shooting technique wise and a good batch of pellets.

Coggie likes this.
  4. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Active Member

My answer would be, take a look at the recent HFT world championship and see how many Steyr rifles were at the top compared to HFT500s. :cool:

Ian Ree likes this.
  5. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    a pal of mine had an HFT500, he had a go with my Steyr........he now has a Steyr.

MickyFinn likes this.
  6. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    I haven't noticed anyone swapping a Steyr for an HFT500.

That says a lot! ;)

MickyFinn and Ian Ree like this.
  7. Coggie

Coggie Mad as a box of budgies.

Club:
    Cloybank
    Interesting one this. I agree with madplinker. Try some out if you can.

My son recently got the 500 and it is awesome I have to say. He finds it comfortable to use and adjustable as he likes it.

However it may not suit you.

Both accurate, but will of course be inaccurate in the wrong hands (mine normally) .

It's not a case of buying a better scor . Only range time, pellets and learning as you go can do this.

Hope you enjoy which ever you go for.

Bellerophon and madplinker like this.
  8. Philip Rodgers

Philip Rodgers New Member

Club:
    Richings Park Airgun Club
    I had an HFT500, then I tried a Steyr LG110. I don't have an HFT500 any more, but I do have an LG110. As above the hunting stock is a bit marmite. Is it only the Hunting you like? People with an HFT500 can beat me so the Steyr is no guarantee of silverware.

PA410goodshot and Coggie like this.
  9. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Active Member

Club:
    MAD
    I did! I've had my HFT500 for three years and bought a National series winning Steyr but didn't get on with it. I missed far more positionals with the Steyr than my HFT500 that fits me and is well balanced. I have altered the trigger and have a nice crisp trigger that breaks like glass at 150grams. The sporter stock suits me and has a long length of pull so won't suit everybody. The Steyr was far too pellet fussy for my liking.
    I have shot 4 60's, 15 59's plus a 58 with a donought on the wrong target, so I definitely would not rule it out until you have shot one.
    ATB Neil Wakelin

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 2:49 PM
  10. PA410goodshot

With those scores you have shown the HFT500 to be capable, as you mention it fits you better than a steyr hence your great scores. :cool:

Philip Rodgers likes this.
  11. chucky82

chucky82 Member

Correct all rifles do the same when used right I've own both and it's right to say both will be as accurate as you can be but
    Steyr V hft500
    Trigger is awful on hft for a target oriented rifle compared to steyr but only have tired one trigger that was worthwhile on hft and that's Neil's above who has worked on his .
    Can say that hft 500 wasn't pellet fussy at all compared to Steyr .... For price difference is quite considerable but good second hand Steyr would be better option in my personal opinion but your best trying both as maybe one fits better than other and if was 500 your at a saving , if you don't have option if trying buy the Steyr see how you get on with it cos I am sure your sell the Steyr to fund a hft500 if needed to.

cowandchicken likes this.
  12. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    I am happy to stand corrected Neil!

MickyFinn likes this.
  13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

I've got an LG110 Hunting with a palm rest which is largely identical to the Challenge HFT Hunting, barring the different chassis geometry and 100mm-ish shorter barrel on the HFT. I also have an MPR-based rifle with an HFT500 stock and have shot a few HFT500s.

Ergonomically I prefer the HFT500 stock; it's more comfortable, more adjustable (the Steyr's cheekpiece adjustment is crude and very limited by comparison), fits me better in the non-adjustable areas (pistol grip) and allows me to shoot thumb-up. Not everyone likes the significant rake on the HFT500 stocks though (matter of taste / shooting style). The LG's stock has grown on me, but only after a few mods, a lot of adjustment and a fair bit of use.

In operation the Steyr's trigger is light years ahead of that on the Air Arms - far lighter, smoother, more refined and perhaps a shade crisper. Functionally though I prefer the AA's trigger as it's a true-two-stage item (so safer) while the Steyr's is a pseudo-two-stage item, which I think is pretty poor on a rifle of this price tbh.

Accuracy-wise the LG's OK (about 20-22mm c-c at 50m over 10 shots, although I've not had chance to try it with sorted pellets) and while I've not done a massive amount of group testing with the MPR (same barrel as the HFT) the odd one I have shot would suggest it groups a little better than the Steyr. Tbh these two examples are probably within the statistical noise within a larger sample group of both.

One big win to the HFT500 is its floating barrel, while the Steyr's is fixed within the chassis - IMO this is totally un-necessary, counter-productive and pretty much the gun's worst feature as it's pretty major, irreversible surgery to float the barrel.. worse in a Challenge I hear.

Out of the box the Steyr gave a dismal 70-ish shots per charge in its crippled, tiny-ported UK-spec and now gives around 130 correctly setup with the 4mm port. IMO you could expect around 80 shots from the HFT500 out of the box; potentially north of 100 with a decent exhaust valve and proper setup. Neither gun is particularly efficient; the Steyr's significant muzzle report highlighting this fact.

I use both guns for LSR and have shot regular tons with each, although (now I've sorted it all out) the Steyr is more forgiving; I assume due to its far lighter trigger, much faster lock time and greater frontal mass (the HFT500 is better than my MPR in this respect as it's cylinder is 80mm longer). Of the two the Steyr is the one I always gravitate to and have used in any comps I've entered.

So, I'd say on the whole the Steyr is the better gun; but perhaps not by as much of a margin as one would have expected given that it costs twice the price of the HFT500, which (this side of a used EV2) is a great bet at its price point IMO.

HTH ;)

EDIT - A few more thoughts since this post seems to have been appreciated (cheers guys!):

With the proper port fitted the Steyr is very tolerant of pellet mass; showing little variation (<2%) in output over a wide range of projectile weights and peaking with 7.9gn Express. This means you can run higher velocities with lighter pellets without the concern that the gun will be OTT with heavier alternatives.

Conversely the tiny port in the HFT makes it a lot more sensitive to pellet mass; favouring heavier pellets; peaking with 10.3gn heavies and giving around 7% / 0.8ftlb less wth Express.

Other than the silly-small port that can easily be replaced the Steyr has no anti-tamper fitted, while that on the HFT (but thankfully not my MPR :D) is pretty nasty and invasive. Even when removed the AT on the HFT still leaves signs that it was there (counterbores in underside of action) - which really offend my OCD inner-engineer, although many aren't bothered.

The Steyr is regged from the off (and the regs are usually very good) while the HFT is not, and IMO don't take regs at all well; requiring a lot of messing about just to get it them in a vaguely functional state.. so if you want a reg, go with the Steyr.

Operation of both is nice; the cocking stroke of the Steyr is lighter but the HFT probably just has the edge on smoothness.

Upon firing the Steyr feels very dead thanks to its very light striker and stabiliser, the HFT much less so.. although I don't think this harms accuracy in any way.

Both stocks are ambi but only the Steyr offers a true-left-hand side-lever option.. another reason (along with the AT) I chose to build my own MPR-based rifle rather than buy an HFT.. although of course this may be of zero relevance if you're right handed.

:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 8:40 AM
  14. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Club:
    Tayside
    I've got both and to me the key thing is the stock. Personally I just can't get on with the HFT500 stock. I find it heavy, clumsy and very difficult to get a consistent position. The wooden Steyr stock on the other hand was easy to adjust to my liking with the only reservation being that it is not possible to shoot thumb-up with the standard hand-grip. My feeling is that if you don't get on with the stock, look no further - don't get an HFT500.

Apart from the stock, the poor trigger, lack of regulator and absence of stabiliser mean that that in my opinion, the Steyr is in a completely different class technically from the HFT500 which falls short on every criterion except it is more weatherproof.

Alan

15. Jon Dally

Jon Dally Member

Club:
    Bisley
    I have an HFT500 and now a 9015. Accuracy wise they are both the same but the HFT is not pellet fussy so that is a big plus.

HFT trigger needs a little tuning to get it working well; still not in same league as 9015, but still can be good enough.

HFT is super consistent when it its massive sweet spot, it doesn't need a reg. So one less thing to do wrong.

9015 with its stabilizer does shoot more dead, but the HFT is consistent, so you adapt and wont have an issue.

Gun fit and balance are a personal thing, but there is plenty of scope to adjust the HFT and alter weight balance.

I nearly bought a Steyr, I reckon I would still be super happy with any of these guns.

I find practice and shooting comps has more impact on score once your gun/scope combo are stable...

Try both out, but don't be afraid to save some money for a better scope.

16. PA410goodshot

Yes, but it is nearly twice the cost new so not a comparison really. A second hand one is more of a comparison.

17. Archer50

Archer50 Active Member

Club:
    Tayside
    A comparison is exactly what the OP asked for. The price difference is self-evident and it's entirely up to him whether he buys new or second hand.

18. PA410goodshot

Sorry I should have said a like for like comparison. :D

19. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Why do you want a "hunter" stock on your Steyr as opposed to a proper target version......? I've had various incarnations of Steyr & the Hunter stock just feels clumsy with an ill thought out pistol grip & cheek piece, even the base model high power stock is better with the addition of a 30-50 quid cheek riser. If you decide to go the Steyr route make sure you can make it fit you before shelling out the premium.

I've previously owned 2 hft500 (& also had an MPR in an ultimate sporter stock before hft500's existed) which would all consistently knock targets over. The stock is ok (much better than a Hunter imho) but not ideal for target work, though does shoulder "quick" if you go squirrel bashing & the gun is going to be dual purpose...?