HFT500 Regulator

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Stephen, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Stephen

Stephen Member

Club:
    Northern Monkeys
    Someone asked me if I was thinking about getting a regulator fitted to my HFT500, it's something I never really thought about doing.
    Has anyone else had it done and if so was it worth it?

Thanks in advance
    Ryan

2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    For what they cost £1100 approx, you think that they would already be regulated but alas not !!!!!!!!
    Sorry I cannot answer your question though as I don't own the HFT 500. :)

3. Bezzer

Bezzer Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    If it's on it's standard fac length 480mm cylinder then it's not worth it as you get over 100 shots in the sweet spot anyway.....but I've carbined mine -300mm cylinder so have regged it to get back up to 100 shots before it drops off the reg.
    Same with any 400-500 Air Arms though it takes a lot of setting up to get it really efficient, if you're not capable of sorting it yourself then it's going to cost, I made a new hammer, spacers etc for mine and had to do a lot of testing to get it right...Rob Lane mentions in his AA fitting PDF he charges £200 plus to fit and set one up properly that's beside the actual reg cost.
    c.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Stephen likes this.
  4. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    May I ask what work is done in setting up the AA series guns, I would like to understand

5. Stephen

Stephen Member

Club:
    Northern Monkeys
    Thank you, more expensive than I thought tbh, might look into see if it's something I can do myself.
    See if I can get a step by step guide somewhere.

Thanks again

6. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    To be honest you are best off leaving well alone, the 500 is a very consistent gun as it is, what do you hope to gain be fitting a reg? And before we have lots of explanations of what a reg does I know what it does and why, my question is what is the issue with your gun that warrants fitting one?
    When I owned a 500 it was good for 90 shots minimum from a fill and was accurate from the first shot so I don’t see the point of the expense and adding point of failure that wasn’t there in the first place.

C.Eaton and Stephen like this.
  7. Stephen

Stephen Member

Club:
    Northern Monkeys
    I was hoping to gain more consistency with each shot and with a regulator fitted I thought it would provide the same air pressure each time ,plus someone also commented you may get a few more shots.

I'm getting the odd flyer and it's probably me, however if I had a regulator fitted it would rule the gun out.

8. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Air Arms Poster Boy

Club:
    Air Arms/Anston/Kingsley/Team Ireland
    It will likely be you not the gun but if you want to be certain put a full shot string through a chrono.chrono.

IMO there is no need to reg an HFT500.

Stephen likes this.
  9. simona

simona Active Member

The flyers won't have anything to do with the gun not having a reg.

C.Eaton likes this.
  10. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Agree with that, there are many winning comps out there using HFT 500's without a reg, I own 2 HFT500's one for HFT and one for BR and both are way more accurate than me

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. Stephen

Stephen Member

Club:
    Northern Monkeys
    Sound, that's saved me a few quid

12. Mel

Mel Not so new member

If you're getting odd flyers then it also might be worth looking at your pellet choice. Have you tested various batches in the hft?

My first gun was an hft and I used to get flyers fairly regularly too. It never occurred to me that it could have been a duff batch.

13. Stephen

Stephen Member

Club:
    Northern Monkeys
    I don't think it's the pellets tbh, I think it's more likely to be me.

Just to make sure tho I'm shooting this weekend so I'll shoot some groups and ask a friend to do the same with my gear, see the difference.

14. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Active Member

Club:
    MAD
    I shoot the HFT500 as my main gun and like the fact that it is not regulated. Less to go wrong. If you are getting the odd flier it is likely to be choice of pellet or more likely that the barrel needs pulling through. I pull mine through every 150 shots at most as I will get fliers starting to creep in after 160 shots.

15. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    I'd be inclined to put a bit of work into the trigger first before thinking about putting a reg in a 500.

chucky82 likes this.
  16. Mel

Mel Not so new member

Good idea. It could be pilot error as you have said but worth checking. I presume you are using it for HFT? If FT it might be worth considerinf other options - I replaced mine with an FTP 900 and haven't looked back. Hope you have a productive session! :rolleyes:

Stephen likes this.
  17. Bezzer

Bezzer Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    You have to balance everything to get the best out of it. - firing valve spring preload, hammer weight and stroke, hammer spring length and/or strength, alter transfer port etc. You can only do one thing at a time then test it, alter/swop then test again...and again...and again. What may seem the ideal power then turns out to be a turkey when you do a full string and it's a crap low count.
    When I first got the HFT I'd already regged my 400 carbine and swopped all the internals and settings from the 400 including the cylinder to the HFT to try it out, power was Ok but shot count dropped from 120 in the 400 to 100 in the HFT so you can't just take parts and settings when fitting a new reg and expect them to be right straight off. Still haven't improved on the HFT yet which has all it's own bits now, the 400 is still doing 120 @ 11.4 fpe.( the 400 and HFT have exactly the same OE internals)
    So all in all if you're not prepared to spend a lot of time and effort then it's not worth it with a normal 400mm cylinder or HFT 480mm cylinder, no better accuracy just improved shot count which does help the carbine cylinder and a shorter lock time as I run a 3mm longer hammer reducing the stroke from 8.5 to 5.5mm.
    A good read is Rob Lane's Air Arms reg fitting PDF which explains everything.
    7. Air Arms Pro Fitting Instructions. copy.pdf

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Stephen likes this.
  18. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    If you're getting flyers and you're sure it's not you pulling the shot then you need to look at two things, the barrel and the pellets you're using.
    Pellets will be the biggest factor but you can't discount a dirty barrel.
    Always check the skirt of the pellet before you stick it in the breech, if it's deformed use another. It's always a good idea to check competition pellets beforehand to make sure they're all ok.
    Going further sizing pellets may or may not help, at the very least you know they are uniform.
    The barrel is more complicated as some barrels like cleaning after every shoot and some never need cleaning, you just have to try stuff and see what makes an improvement and just when you thought that spending all that money on a HFT500 would guarantee success.

Welcome to the wonderful world of shooting...;)

Stephen and Mel like this.
  19. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    If I were you Stephen, I would listen to the advice here. The fact that the air reservoir is pretty large will give a good consistant puff of air to the pellet and you won't have to worry about temperature drift affecting the reg (because there isn't one). Also take Brian Samsons advice, if you have an inconsistant trigger (you or the mechanical parts) you will get inconsistant results (flyers etc). Go and spend some time shooting into a safe area and concentrate on how th the trigger feels, get to know exactly when it is about to release, if you find it the realse point feels like it moves around, get someone that knows what theyr'e doing to fettle the trigger, that shouldn't cost too much.

ATB, Ian

Stephen and Mel like this.
  20. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    I put a Huma reg into my S510 carbine .177 (FAC) which has the power adjuster. I went from about 40 good shots on a curve to 80 consistant shots from a fill getting 11 ft/pd. Reg was set at 65 bar, changed the spring and hammer to std sub 12 ft/lb, and cut the brass pot as per instructions. With it being fac I left the TP full open, and this combo worked really well. I was fortunate to not have to go through much testing. So for a non fac gun, you may have to consider enlarging the tp. I don't see why this combo wouldn't be repeatable.