Hft500 owners

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Tench, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I just been working on one of these and wondered what sort of shot count users are actually getting from their 500's?

2. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    From 190 bar 90 ' but my sweet spot is about 170 and i get a good 60-70 shots;)

3. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    When I did the test when I first had the gun, 190bar fill after 83 shots had just under 110bar left in it

Pete

4. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D

5. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Much the same. I work on the basis of filling to 190, shooting 20-30 shots for practice, zeroing etc, then its in the sweet spot right down to below 150, giving a good 50 shots in a comp, with virtually no power variation.

6. Tench

The reason I ask is I have put one of my regs in one today and I didn't do a shot string before I stripped it. Due to the very large air capacity I didn't put any emphasis on shot count instead I built it for consistency, it now does 120 shots from 190 bar with a single figure total spread over the whole fill. I had expected a few more shots from that air volume but a 33% improvement is not to be sniffed at when I didn't set it up for quantity. So I am happy with that!

7. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Interesting mine fives single figure fps from 160-110... But from 190 i get alot bigger spread, hence why i only fill to 160 ish now..

8. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Is the new hft gun internally the same as the new 510 sporter?
    I can't work out why the hft is dearer ?

9. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Better barrel and better trigger for a start, fac cyclinder too..so more expense straight away;)

10. tillygti6

Better barrel? In what way ?

Is it reasonable to expect the both to be as consistent as each other?

11. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Barrel is a fully floated match jobber...plus theres the stripper too...it all adds to cost and accuracy, i know a few who have had the ultimate and confirmed the hft is a better rifle

12. Tench

Tommy the HFT shares a lot with the earlier bolt action and side lever actions. with a few differences too. One difference I did see is nicely polished ends on the exhaust valve spring and a new machined top hat spring seat, it is clear AA have done this to improve reliability reducing the tendency for the spring to scape small fragments of brass off the pot which could get embedded in the firing valve and cause a leak. Another difference is like the MPR the HFT500 has a dedicated .177 pellet channel, the 400 breech was common to both calibres and all had a channel big enough to be used on a .22 rifle aswell. I believe the breech has a larger taller profile to accommodate the thicker free floating barrel while still maintaining clearance from the air tube. All good improvements!

13. tillygti6

HI si'
    so it's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things then.
    Ultimately I'm torn between the 2 But it will primarily be for hunting.

14. Tench

As the air tube extends beyond the end of the barrel you may need to be creative to fit a silencer on the HFT if you wanted to use a silencer for hunting?

15. tillygti6

I'm going to try and shoot the 2 side by side And see how it goes I think.

Got any idea if you can run sportsmatch low mounts over the magazine e?
    I can't remember what I had on the old 510.

16. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I've had the 500 and swapped it for the 510 ultimate Sporter. No contest really if you want to go hunting.

17. mikeygasbag

mikeygasbag Member

Club:
    Fort Airgun Club
    I have both the Ultimate Sporter (in .177) and the HFT 500. The U.S. is used for hunting only and the HFT 500 is obviously used for HFT competitions. They are both incredible rifles, some of the best that Air Arms have ever produced.

I have set the two rifles up to mirror each other in every possible way, so it doesn't matter which one I am using, the aim points will be the same. They are both incredibly accurate and consistent rifles. I wouldn't want to use the HFT 500 for hunting as I much prefer the shorter Ultimate Sporter which also has the advantage of being whisper quiet with the new Air Arms silencer on it.

Although the U.S. is heavier than my previous hunting rifle (Daystate Huntsman Midas L.E.), I do not find it too heavy for a couple of hours stalking around one of my permission's.

As for the HFT 500, I have only been able to shoot it on a HFT course, twice since I bought it, due to unforeseen circumstances. Both courses were fairly tricky and both scores were in the 50's, good scores for me. The little bit of plinking time I've had with it has proven the rifle to be as accurate as any other I have ever shot. The trigger needed to be set up, but if I can do it, anyone can do it. I also fill both rifles to 170/175 bar.

I honestly can't see why you would want to buy an HFT 500 to go hunting with. The Ultimate Sporter is one of the best hunting rifles available over the counter right now. It comes with two, yes two, 10 shot
    magazines, that you could load blindfolded. It comes with one of the quietest silencers on the market. The stock can be adjusted to comfortably fit any shape and size. If you wanted to shoot the occasional HFT competition, then buy a Rowan single shot adaptor and away you go, simples! :)

Mike.

18. tillygti6

So today i went to fondle both guns,
    the ultimate sporter felt lovely and so did the 500.

said yeah il have the u.s.
    put my scope on it, checked gauge..... empty!
    Got the chaps to fill it and it was leaking like a seive from around the transfer port area.
    needless to say i didnt buy it.
    I have got a fresh one on the way though :)
    it does feel a lot more substantial than the last 510 i had, lovely thing.
    i just hope its not a bad sign....
    :shot:

19. chevin

chevin New Member

Yesterday I shot my new HFT 500, straight out of the box so to speak, zeroed it at 35yds then shot the coarse, only dropped two shots, I shot a mate's last week and found it very loud indeed, mine seems a lot quieter, I worked out the shot count for the morning a tad over ninety.
    I am blown away with how accurate this rifle is, a pleasure to shoot, also for anyone interested I have just spoken to Air Arms about the new hamster it will be out by the end of the month for around £95, yes it's expensive but going by the picture in airgunner mag it looks very nice.
    ATB.