HFT Scope Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by hamza, Jul 30, 2019.

1. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    Hi,

I'm currently using an Optisan EVX 3-12x44i for my HFT gun but don't really get on with it. In particular I find the depth of field is a bit shallow and I get whiteout sometimes. I have Hawke scopes (Airmax 30 and Sidewinder) on some of my other guns which I prefer the reticle and clarity of.

So if I were to start looking for a new scope for my HFT rifle which ones would be a good starting point? I'd like a better depth of field (I think? but I'm an HFT novice) and clarity. I'm thinking something with a fixed mag and I don't really need the SF or maybe even AO?

2. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

What's your budget?

My lad uses a Sidewinder 30 10x42 and won't use anything else however I can't get on with it, so you'll need to find a scope that works for you. Have you tried your Sidewinder?

3. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    No, my Sidewinder is a 4-16x50FFP and pretty long and heavy so not really suitable for HFT. I guess I could try it but I'm being lazy.

I was thinking about the 10x42 but seems you can't buy these new any more so would be a case of finding a good one second hand and makes it harder to try out.

In regards to budget, I guess maybe around the £300ish mark? Second hand or new, either is fine I guess.

pbrown likes this.
  4. JPS Norton

JPS Norton Member

You can pick up a second hand Sightron s3 10x42 for around your budget.

gordon&jo likes this.
  5. subaru swift

subaru swift I don't have a solution, I just love the problem.

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    The good old scope question,,, there's a lot of HFT suitable scopes out there, hence it might be worth a go to nip a club \ range & see if you can look through some other HFT scopes what people use.
    I use delta optical titanium 4.5-14x44 ao ffp hft.

bow and Peter Trimmer like this.
  6. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    yes I've been looking at what others at my club use but there's a huge variety!

I thought about the Sightron, need to look at one really as the in the pictures the reticle looks quite thick which I don't like. Don't think anyone at the club is using one though, or at least not that I've noticed yet.

I've also been offered a SWFA 10x42 sidefocus with a 1/4 mil dot reticle, any thoughts on that one?

7. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl It's all about the enthusiasm!

Club:
    Paint chipping for Air Arms, Ireland, Kingsley & Anston.
    I use a Sightron and had a SWFA briefly. I found the glass on the Sightron to be a lot better for my eyes.

The reticle on the Sightron isn't thick IMO.

8. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    Thanks. Any chance you could compare the reticle on the Sightron to an Airmax or Sidewinder which both quite fine reticles (which I like).

How does clarity on the Sightron and SWFA compare to the Hawkes?

9. mike

mike Active Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    The Hawkes are not in the same league,
    Both the SWFA and Sightron use the top grade of Japanese glass available, and built proof build quality.

Having had both scopes (SWFA 10x42 and the Sightron s111 10x42) I settled for the S111, although I did think that the SWFA had a very slight edge over the Sightron in clarity on the near and far ranges (HFT parallax set at 27yards) I also preferred the ret in the S111.

Thing is, what works for me may not work for you, I have gone through a number of scope combination over the last 6 years to finally settle on what I now use, I have know doubt that in the near future I will be tempted to try something different just to try and gain that little bit more, as I blame my equipment and not my failing eyesight:confused::rolleyes::D

Tony Thomas likes this.
  10. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    Thanks. The problem is trying them out in a realistic way generally means buying them... Maybe I'll give the SWFA a go, looking at pictures I seem to prefer the reticle on that over the SIII.

You're quite right to blame the equipment though. Its a well established fact that the glass in rifle scopes degrades and loses clarity and focus over time far faster than the human eye :D:D:D

mike likes this.
  11. Rotherham Owl

Club:
    Buy second hand from trusted parties and if you don't get on with a particular scope you can resell it with little or no loss.

pbrown and hamza like this.
  12. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    Exactly what I'm doing :)

13. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

I have been using a viper connect till now.
    Good clear optics and minimal parallax error.
    Try one 1st though as there is pretty much zero eye relief

14. hamza

hamza Member

Club:
    West London Rangers
    I’ll be using a springer so that ones probably not the best idea.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  15. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Steve is your Ret the MMD, how is the clarity of the sightron takinging in to account the range we use for HFT, I am struggling to get the compromise of slight blur at 45 and acceptable clarity at 8 yds
    Thanks

16. Rotherham Owl

Club:
    It is the MMD reticle Phil.

I use it as it gives readable blur whilst still being able to see the very long and very short targets.

On my parallax setting of about 23 yards it is clear from around 17 to 32 yards.

The 8/9 yarders are still hard to see but a squint usually helps. In some light conditions I struggle to see the history on the long ones clearly as well.

Bear in mind my eyesight is not good and I know some other Sightron users that get better clarity than me.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  17. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Steve, my eyesight is also poor, do you shoot with glasses or contacts as I noticed that the eye diopter adjustment on the sightron is only +1 and -2, on my vantage without glasses I use approx +2 1/2 adjustment .

18. Rotherham Owl

Club:
    I don't shoot with glasses or contacts. I have to wind the adjuster almost all the way out. I am the same with Vantage scopes

19. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

HFT is a sport full of compromise. I am pretty sure there is not a scope at 10 magnification which is clear at 8 yards and 45 yards you will get blurr one end or the other.
    So up to the shooter which is the most important to them. Me personally I prefer to have some blurr at 45 but clear enough to read target history i.e. wind.

I have a sightron mmd ret which I have used in the past good all round scope and ret is not thick.
    Dave ramshead uses to good effect.
    I use for HFT now and for past couple of years a nightforce 32 objective lens mrad ret I still get blurr at 8 to 13 yards so you learn good technique to help you overcome any problems.
    Or use lower magnification levels which makes ranging some things harder all compromises.

johnbam likes this.
  20. Andy G

Andy G New Member

I get on really well with my Optisan EVX 3-12x44i on my air arms s400.