HFT Scope Advise please :)

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by andythilo, Sep 16, 2012.

1. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Hi

Trying to decide what to get, looking at the following :

New Falcon Menace 4-14x44 - £240

New Falcon Menace 10x42? Can't find anywhere that sells?

Secondhand EB 10x42 - £200

New Bushnell Elite E3200 10x42 - £210

Not what others are good around the £200 range? I'm very new to HFT but want a good scope.

Thanks

Andy

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Hawke TAC 30 around 175 used, or an MTC Viper 220 new both decent scopes in your budget.

3. rickysdaystate

rickysdaystate Make Every Shot Count

Club:
    Greyhound
    I have owned/ still own the following scopes
    Hawke tac 30 4.5-14x42
    Mtc viper 3-12x44
    Mtc viper 10x44
    Lightstream 4.5-14x44
    Sightron 10 x42
    Eb 10x42
    Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42

Out of all the above i would favour the viper for price and quality. The ret is superb for hft

4. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Thanks guys, so that's 2 votes for the Viper, I assume the 10x44 version?

5. Coney

Coney New Member

Another vote for the viper, great scope for hft and customer service second to none :)

Try and get to a club before you finally decide though and look through as many scopes as you can as everyones eyes are different and a scope which suits one person does not always suit another.

Alan.

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    The magnification is personal Preferance really around 10x seems to be fairly popular for HFT you will want around 40 aperture, 42 /44 is ok, much more than this you will loose depth of field so the 8 & 45 yarders will be very blurred.

7. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Hi

Sounds like the Viper is a good choice then, especially as it comes with mounts, sunshade, flip up's etc.. I'm already a member of Lea Valley as I shoot IPAS there, but I think I could go to Cambridge HFT club too as that's even closer to me.

Once i've got the scope I'll pop to Petes Airgun farm as they have an indoor 50m range so I get everything zeroed etc..

I used to shoot FT, had a Steyr and Nikko big 60, but had to sell up, so coming back in with a change of direction and lower cost :)

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    The recticle on the viper is nice, lots of aim points on it, would take a look through one make sure you like it.

9. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Well I think whatever I get, I'll want either front or side parallax, be easier for a noob like me to adjust. Have to look on here, are there guides regarding setting up scopes?, i.e what range to zero to, what range to set parallax to?

10. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Visited a couple of local gun shops today. First had nothing bar a cheap Hawke, however the second had a rather nice Tac 30 10x42. Optics are crystal clear, half mildot etc.. He had it for £230, so I offered £200 (which is the going rate anyway) and walked away with it and some sportsmatch mounts :D

11. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Hi, I've got both a Falcon Menace 10x44 and the Viper 10x42, the difference is the reticle, the Falcon has considerable lines and half lines, but is in metric. This is close to the mildot arrangement, but not exact, but as I use it on my hunting rig (HW100KT) and only shoot out to 35 yards.

The HFT set up has the Viper and I set up a zero about 32/33 yards, this gives me 30 yards just above the line and 35 just below, further, it gives 40 at the bottom of the line down (half mil) and 45 at the first line across.

I know that you have now purchased the Hawk and congratulate you on getting a good deal and hope that you can settle into it. Please remember that the Hawks are more parallax sensitive to obtain consistant precision placement, by that I mean getting your head in exactly the same place, as movement by a fraction will alter the POI.

Enjoy your shooting. By the way, the next National shoot is on Sunday at Cambridge if you wish to see other setups and view scopes; most of the participants are usually happy for people to look through their scopes if you ask nicely.

Ian

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Once ste you do not change the scope settings at all during a HFT round, I have only been shooting HFT for about 9 months but spent a lot of time sifting through advice since then, I have the TAC30 also ;) pretty sure they are true mildot at 10x.

Generally people shooting HFT .177 seem to zero between 25 & 30 yards (people I have spoken to that hunt with the same setup seem to zero at 35), 27 is a popular distance I zero at 30 myself it makes aiming fairly flat between around 15 and 33 yards, under and over thease distances I have some hold over, theoretically at around 20-25 yards I should have a little hold under but they go in fine so I just aim for the middle and hope :D. make sure your parallax is set to your shooting distance when you Zero mine is set to 25 yards on the scope parralaxed marker this gives me a good compromise of scope blur at the shorter and longer distances, seen a couple of scope HFT set up guides will try to find the links, if you search HFT Novice to Ninja you may see them.

13. andythilo

andythilo New Member

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I did read that the TACs are head sensitive, I'm gonna get a pigs ear (or wherever you call it, rubber eye thingy) to help with that.

Thanks for the zeroing advise also, I will have a look at the Ninja link also :)

Cheers

Andy

14. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    I use a Bisley enhancer on my TAC, must say I do not seem to be suffering excessively from parralaxed error, but may just be lucky.

Found the link - http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/hft-scope-setup-guide/ read a few of Brian's Guides helped me a lot starting out, there is a good thread on here about range finding http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186.

Biggest tip just get out and shoot and have fun, there are some great guys in the sport very friendly get out there and chat to some guys at comps.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hi,
    I use a Hawke TAC 30 10x40 for HFT sometimes and find it has very little PX error at all. And the ret is now my favourite with the MTC SCB as a close second( I like both).

I have used and tried a lot of scopes including Falcons, Leups, Burris(very good if you get the right one) and Bushnell 10x40 (hated it).
    I also own three MTC scopes which I like, but the SCB ret get lost in the dark areas of a target sometimes but not too often.

All three of my MTC scopes have different traits regarding PX error and where and how much it occurs, but the best is my 4x16x50 believe it or not.

I believe after lot of testing that the Hawkes and MTC scopes do vary from scope to scope if you are super critical(like me).

The EB sniper or equivalent Tasco snipers are probably the best for £200 S/H, that is if you can get away with only mildots, but I need half mil lines.But the MTC 10x40 Viper is definitely the best good scope for HFT in terms of value if you are on a budget.

I think you made a good choice with the Hawke if you have a good one, and you can adjust the ocular to suit your eyes and eliminate as much PX as possible.I dont find it an issue though.

Good luck.
    Dean

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  16. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

i use a tac30 10x42 and find it to be a very good scope. like most scopes you can get parallax error, but i dont seem to get that much. as with all scopes, it takes time to learn how to get the best from it.

i find that if my head is in the wrong position the image doesnt seem to be bright and clear. once my head is right sight picture brightens up. i find this an advantage as i know whether or mot my head is in the right place.

i think some of it is down to luck also. some tac30s seem to be better than others. i also have the 4.4-14x42. its a good scope, but nowhere near as clear as the 10x42. it must be because of the extra lense that makes it variable.

i also have a viper 10x44 which is a great scope for hft too. the ret is bang on for the job. i also like the metal flip ups with the rubber o ring.