HFT scope advice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Beefy, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Hello folks
    I'm after a bit of advice from fellow hft shooters please. I currently use a mtc connect 32mm, which I've had for 2 years. Nothing wrong with the scope and I have enjoyed using it, but I'm thinking of treating myself to a bit of an upgrade.
    I used to use a lightstream and to be honest my scores were better with that than the connect (could be coincidence though) so I'm looking at something that is the next step up in optical quality.
    I don't have the budget to be looking at vortex viper scopes and the such, but I'm toying with the idea of the sightron s3 10x42. Anyone have any experience with these scopes and how did you rate them for hft?
    I've read the exposed turrets can potentially be knocked when handling the rifle, but it can be made stiffer with the addition of an o-ring under the turret? Anyone had any problems with that in the real world?

Failing that, are there any other scopes out there in the £500ish bracket that I perhaps haven't considered?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    Matt

bow likes this.
  2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Matt, i'm using the S3 and have been for a while now, good glass with many boxes ticked (for me) for HFT. I have knocked the turrets in the past but the o ring trick really does work.

3. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    MickyFinn likes this.
  4. mike

mike Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    Have both Sightron and Connect and use both for HFT, the Sightron come's in to its own when shooting into low light or a dark wooded area on a HFT course, because of it's superb optical quality, I have found that I don't need to use the sunshade either and I have never suffered 'white out' with the Sightron.

I find the Connect better for the closer targets as it's not as blurred as the Sightron when set to the same parallax distance. I use the AMD ret with the Connect as I find the SCB ret to fine and I would loose that ret on dark shaded targets.

As you enjoyed the lightstream (Great scope,with brilliant glass, shame the one I had was faulty and wouldn't zero, knackered insides) then I would recommend looking at the SWFA 10x42 1/2 md scope, cheaper than the Sightron with the same Japanese quality optics and build. The turrets are also far better on the SWFA than the Sightron and don't suffer with being easley knocked out of alignment.

Only reason why I prefer the Sightron over the SWFA (and this is soley my own preference) is due to the ret, I use verifocal glasses to shoot with and also have astigmatism. So over the years I have found that a proper 1/2 mid dot scope with a slightly thicker ret works for me, the SWFA has a thinner ret and the Mil dot is an open diamond.

But I personally think the SWFA has a slight edge over the Sightron.

ATB
    Mike

5. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Thanks for the input so far guys (and keep it coming!) The swfa 10x42 side focus is one that I had never come across, and certainly looks like a viable alternative. I tens to like a fairly fine reticle (such as the scb2) so the ret in the swfa looks quite suitable.
    Does anyone have any kind of comparison of the lens quality between the swfa and the s3? I see they are both Japanese made, does the extra £60 for the s3 give any better optics or are they the same?
    Thanks again folks
    Matt

6. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Delta Titanium HFT is worth a look and just under your budget.
    4.5-14 First focal plane mrad ret developed for HFT.

Made in the same factory as the Lightstream used to be and to all intents and purposes is a lightstream. Great glass and nice scope.

I’ve got one on my Cricket but don’t shoot HFT. I have used it for FT and I can bracket out to 40 yards easily using either the crosshairs hash marks or the mrad measuring scale on the ret. over that we’re into points of a Milrad for the rest of the FT ranges so I struggle more than a bit.

Definitely worth a look for the amount of light it lets through alone.

7. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I've had "one or two" HFT scopes over the years :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

and in your budget I'd go for the SWFA over the Sightron S3 but not by much. The new Vortex Diamondback Tactical Jim above recommended is VERY nice also. Had a peep through one yesterday but you can never tell how good it is until you've tried them on a course/found the right settings.

subaru swift and SpeckleD like this.
  8. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Thanks Mick, I will take a good look at the swfa I think, do you know if the turrets on that one are lockable? It looks like they might be the pop up style but so far all the reviews I've read don't refer to them. Barry, I have looked at the delta when it first came on the scene a couple of years ago. Whilst I agree the glass is very good, I just could not live with their reticle, it's far too busy for my eyes im afraid.

Barry likes this.
  9. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    If you dont like the Delta ret then you may not like the new Vortex tactical, not as busy as the Delta but busy! ;)
    The SWFA turrets don't lock BUT are very positive! They're an update/ evolution of the Nikko/EB Sniper scopes

10. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    I’ve just brought the vortex diamondback tactical gen2. Great glass the ret is good for hft but if you don’t like fine rets it won’t be your cup of tea. Mick was looking at it yesterday and liked it .

MickyFinn likes this.
  11. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

Good to see you have the Burris Mick on top of the pile. The older ones are better though.

Sightron S3 depends on how much you understand parrallax and if you can make it work to your advantage. Superb optics good reticle shite depth of field shocking finish on the metal work(I am hard on my kit as it is a tool, bit like me some would say. But without a doubt the worst cosmetic finish of anything I have ever owned). Turrets are an easy fix o rings or undo so wont do anything but spin. Had three all the same re quality.Superb glass all the money obviously went here. Hit some great scores but equally had some bad misses when I was too hung over to concentrate. Know people who have bought them and moved them on on the same day because they couldn't cope with the parrallax. Some might say they never gave them a fair chance. Or more to the point didn't have the time to learn it.

Monkey.

MickyFinn likes this.
  12. kjedroska

kjedroska New Member

SWFA is excellent scope for this money

bow likes this.
  13. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Used an S3 for 6months and now my son uses it on his s400.

Great optics, very bright, decent blur, good reticle, but does suffer from parallax so you need to get right behind the scope and have good head position.

Finish on mine is ok, no issues.

Now the turrets are a pain and I have accidentally adjusted the wind age a few times in a comp on the peg. Ruined my shoots. I will look into that o-ring mod.

My son gets on well with the S3 now he has gotten used to it. He has perfect vision so can easily tell when he isn’t behind the scope properly...

When you do suffer from parallax error it can be quite a large shift and resulting in a big miss...

14. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    With regards to head position on the S3, the ret does have a tell tale if your head position is not correct.
    The ret will turn from black to a bronze colour when not correctly aligned, it’s amazing how many people you speak to who own them and have not noticed this.

15. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards the swfa because of the finer reticle and stiffer turrets, I'm going to hang on until black Friday and see how much they knock off the prices.

MickyFinn likes this.
  16. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

Don't rule out something cheaper than your budget. I'm a big fan of the Mtc viper pro (£350 new). If I miss it's very rarely due to the scope.
    As ways though it depends on your eyes and what suits you.

Al-G and MickyFinn like this.
  17. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Arent you supposed to be drinking sangria Dan???

Cooper_dan likes this.
  18. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Active Member

Need to get my airgun fix somehow.
    I'll get back to the sangria now ;)

19. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    How are you at detecting parralax error?....I find the better the optics the harder it is to detect...If your an experienced shooter shouldn't be too much of a problem but I believe that for inexperienced shooters parralax error is one of the biggest causes for a miss....apart from the obvious miss range and getting wind wrong . I've been shooting for yonks and still can't look through a scope straight!!

20. Beefy

Beefy New Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Parallax I'm fine with, it's usually my rangefinding that lets me down a bit, which is why I'm after some better quality glass so that I can use the blur to help me a bit more.