HFT & reticles

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CameronWilson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    I've noticed that there are a lot of HFT shooters on this forum that are keen on the Hawke SR6 reticle, and I was wondering what its benefits were?

The SR6, like Hawke's Map 6a reticle, appears to have irregularly spaced elevation markers, and I have often wondered how suitable these reticles are for range finding via the bracketing technique.

According to Hawke's website the Map 6a reticle features "Hollow bars are calibrated for 3, 6 and 9" bracketingwhen set on 6x magnification" but it doesn't tell you at which distance this is true.

Also, on the SR6 reticle, there are a number of lines etched in the bottom left hand quadrant of the reticle – what are these used for?

Cheers,

Cam.

2. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Ask Laity, hes the oracle on the sr6:)

3. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    SR6 ret on 10x

spacing D = 30y
    spacing C = 40y

measured from top of hinge plate to kill centre on a standard, unmodified knockover or gamo target with a hinge to kill measurement of 4.25". It doesn't matter what size the kill is, the centre is centre.

I don't use 10x though, and with the amount of modified targets / hidden hinge mechanisms used, plate bracketing is becoming less usefull

Hawke's BRC covers this stuff, you just have to put the right info in.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. AirArmsDavid

AirArmsDavid Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Cam, the irregular spacing is no use for bracketing, that's why there's a separate scale to the left side with equaly spaced lines. I used this ret for years but find it easier to bracket with the Hawke TAC reticle (half mil dot) as its hollow bars have mil and 0.2 mil spacing. Also it's tricky to measure, say, a kill zone with the SR6 A-D brackets as they are staggered next to each other.