Hft retical

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Roger Pardy, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM.

1. Roger Pardy

Roger Pardy Active Member

Club:
    None
    Me again!
    I'm still looking around for a new scope and I'm probably more confused
    Ash has kindly let me try his viper connect which although I like the idea of the short eye relief, I'm struggling with the ret. Something another friend told me about.
    As it will be used for hft I thought I'd set up a target (bunny) in my woods in a dark area to see what the light gathering properties of the scope were like. I could barely see the cross hair & had no chance of reading the mils to range find. And the illuminated ret only does the Cross.
    I appreciate the 24mm obj will only let so much light in but I think the ret is too fine.
    First question... Would /is the 32mm any brighter? Or am I better off looking /sticking to 40?
    Secondly, what retical do you use?
    Thank you. Rog

2. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Hi Roger,
    Yes the 32mm is marginally brighter, I use the 24 connect and have bad eyesight ,but this scope seems to suit me, very dark areas can be a problem but I never loose the ret, unfortunately with scopes it is very much a case of finding one that suits your eyes, you cannot choose a scope on other people's recommendations

3. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

Reticle - I like the mtc scb and the burris ballistic plex (very similar and simple to the bushnell drop something or other).
    Anything you can use for ranges will work.

4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Currently using a 44mm lighstream with mil dot reticle. For me its proving to be very good in low light.
    But as said, everyones eyes are different

5. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Scopes are the hardest choice in HFT. What suits one person another person may hate. I am like most people I have had different scopes and makes and varying price range too.
    It's what suits your eyes so a personal thing.
    Also scopes your paying for glass quality and build quality and everything is a compromise and how you adapt your shooting to the compromises you make.
    I.e. blurr at short distance or at long distance. 10 mag or 7 mag for ranging bracket tool.

Poeple do not really give scopes a good try within two weeks they try something else guilty has charged.
    HFT scope for me needs to have mil and half mil hashes for bracketing things and wind age compensating or aiming off for wind and gives more precision in aim points on reticule.
    Also like a scope that makes you put your head in same position i.e. smaller objective lens scopes. Get rid of parallax error etc.
    You need to know your requirements you want its not has simple has Chuck a scope on top.
    Scope is a personal thing a rifle is easy most quality Pcps will shoot accurate you just need the one which fits you best.

johnbam likes this.
  6. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    I'm not a fan of the SCB ret or anything with gaps in it for HFT. The gap fell into my 40 to 45 ranges and i like something solid to look at. 1/2 mil dots for bracketing as Davy says.

Had a connect a while back 32 mm flavour. Couldnt really get on with it as i wear specs when i shoot. Currently running a SWFA 10x42, nice glass, nice depth of field, cross hairs a bit too fine, but workable.

Roger Pardy and MickyFinn like this.
  7. jth71

jth71 Member

Club:
    Worsley AGC, Kingsley HFT, Vale Royal AGC.
    Have you adjusted the eyebell to get the reticle clear for your eye? The adjustments on the Connects are very subtle.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  8. john79

john79 JEDI

half mil dot ret for me, im to currently using a SWFA 10x42 rear focus but im finding the ret is very fine and because there's no ir function im loosing the ret in dark wooded areas !

johnbam, Roger Pardy and MickyFinn like this.
  9. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

The illumination is of no use on a Connect.

Iluminate the Ret then move your head, you'll see the illuminated cross move independently of the reticle cross as it's on a different plane. :(

Roger Pardy and john79 like this.
  10. john79

john79 JEDI

11. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    Some really useful information guys thanks.
    I have 2 scopes available to me that I've been using, a hawke panorama & a weaver. The weaver is on loan & will shortly be going back to its owner.
    The hawke in the same situation as the connect in the garden wasn't really much brighter but the ret was marginally easier to use. The weaver was so much brighter & the ret lovely & easy to read.
    Reticle wise, the weaver has Mil dot & I can roughly range with it but I get really bad parralax error due to my eye position changing.
    The hawke is half Mil dot. Much easier to bracket & for holdover. Again my eye position causes parralax error.
    Which brings me back to the connect.... short eye relief.
    I think I've looked at every scope under £500 on optics warehouse!

12. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

Don't discount the 2-7x32 AO AMX, seen some high scores with these.

Roger Pardy likes this.
  13. Mammoth

Mammoth Unusual Targetmaker :)

Club:
    Anston
    My little word to add.. Im not one of even middle rank of shooters, but I was always use Burris timberline on both of my rifles, springer and PCP. And till I was shooting regularly, I had quite good scoring, mostly around 50. ish. ;) Then friend suggested me to change for better lenses, and sold me leupold scope.
    Oh Yes, Lenses are better.. but Ive completely lost my rangefinding, and start getting confused when swap rifles with different scopes.
    And soon as Ive changed my job and my training sessions went drasticly down - Ive stop shooting acceptably both of my rifles..
    So, my conclusion is - If you have a chance, ask people to let you try their scopes, and soon as You find most suitable for you - then get this one and stick to it. Ahter some training you will get used to it and this bring you better digits on scoring cards.. or.. most of them.. maybe a couple.. one .. sometime.. ;)

14. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Well-Known Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    I lose the ret on most scopes due to my rubbish eyes..the SCB ret on the MTC viper suits me best and the ret on the OPTISAN EVX is also very good

Roger Pardy likes this.
  15. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

OP mentioned parallax error. My thoughts for what its worth. In the long run it will be much cheaper and less frustrating to fix eye relief properly with an adjustable cheek piece and specific head position practice.

You can spend years and £££ finding the scope that gives you the least parallax (but you will never get rid of it because physics) or you can get an adjustable cheek piece, get it properly adjusted and then use any scope you want.

Roger Pardy and MickyFinn like this.
  16. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    Yeah I get that. I wanted to try the mtc because of the minimum eye relief but if the reticle isn't for me it defeats the object. My search now is concentrating on reticle & clarity. I can work on parralax.
    My hw100 laminate has an adjustable cheek but there's not actually that much, up/down & forward /back. If it swivelled it would help I think.
    I think for the time being, I'll stick the hawke on & see how I get on. The reticle is quite usable, it's fairly clear, just a shame I can't adjust parralax.

17. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    What is your Hawke parallaxed at, Rog?

18. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    25yrs ish mate. It's a non Ao so I had to break the glue on the objective & get as good a focus in the garden as I could. It's now lost its seal too!

19. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    Had a good look again through the optics warehouse & found 3 possible candidates. .. I'd like some feedback. ..
    Sightron S1 4-12x40 hft (I like the ret)
    Delta titanium 4-16x42 Ao ( has a fairly basic Mil dot)
    Optisan Evx 3-12x44 illuminated sfp Mil (has the enhanced Mil dot, very busy reticle! )
    These are in the order of my preference based on the objective size & ret.

20. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    Thanks for that, I like it, definitely another possibility