HFT question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by swally, Jan 1, 2016.

1. swally

swally New Member

Hi, I m new to HFT; in fact my only knowledge of the sport is what I have read from the internet. Although I read different calibres are catered for, it seems .177 is favoured by most due to the flatter trajectory of the pellet. Currently I have a Weihrauch 97 in .177 that I could use, but ideally I would like to convert my 16 Joule Steyr LG110 Hunter from .22 to .177 as I believe Steyr are a popular choice for HFT. I know my way around the Steyr and able to compensate for the power difference and bring it up to sub 12ftlb that the barrel change will need to stay legal. My question is; will my converted hunter be as proficient at HFT as the dedicated FT model?
    Thank you in anticipation.

2. Ewan

Ewan Ewan

Club:
    Iden Ferns
    Hi Swally,

I don't see why not, I have seen all sorts at our club including Daystate GP, Dominator, S400 HW95 (others to), Steyr along with my FTP900 & new to me Ripley AR5s.

You can use almost any rifle to compete or just have fun, even if you have an FT scope you will still sort it, max mag of 12 though I think are the rules.

It's great fun Swally enjoy the new year trying it out.

ATB
    Ewan

3. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Where abouts in Derby are you? I am in Derby and shoot an HFT event most weekends and get out for a practice most weeks too. Where do you go to shoot now?

Your Steyr hunter will be fine for HFT converted to .177. If you need help with the barrel I have machined many barrels to go in these for people.

4. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

Short answer yes, but there is a problem........

HFT is addictive, be prepared. :)

Your choice of scope is different for HFT rather than FT.

Strongly recommend you go along to a local club, and have a chat, we are a friendly bunch.

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    You'll be ok with a steyr hunter. I use a (modified) hp model. So long as it fits you it'll be fine.

6. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I use a Steyr HP model LG110 now similar to Micky's LG100 HP, and they are ideal for HFT, but its more down to the fit of the gun and scope on top than anything now with the quality and accuracy of most of the PCP's.
    You are not restricted to 12x power in most leagues as stated above, but in reality 9 or 10x mag is the max you can easily see the targets with at 45 yards and 8/10 yards, without altering the PX.

Everyone will help you when you start, so just get stuck in and enjoy it.:D