1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HFT prone peg springer hold?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by mitigator, Jan 13, 2018.

1. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    So HFT springer prone off the peg...

Am after some basics - spent 2 seasons with a pcp with the gun against the peg and butt on the ground - how should my teqnique differ with a springer?

2. skires

skires Well-Known Member

As with all things HFT ... Experiment and find what works best for you.

It is possible to shoot like the PCP guys and have the butt on the floor. Try shooting like that in practice and compare it to shooting with your hand up the peg and the butt in your shoulder. If you shoot with the butt on the floor then you may need an hamster to be able to have the front hand on the ground.

The problem isn't really doing anything different than with a PCP. The problem is when you have to start changing body angles or elevation to the target. That forces you to change the exact contact points with the rifle at the fore end, butt and cheek, and that causes changes in POI.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. Peter M

Peter M Member

Club:
    Northern monkey
    I've found what works for me is gripping the peg and leaning into it slightly. Unfortunately this hurts my glass back so Im refraining from recoiling class for another year (it's a shame as I have a lovely lgu here)
    As I'm undoubtedly sure you will of years by know the trick is repetition, repetition, repetition

4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

The best advice will always be practice all sorts of variations and find one that is comfortable for you and your style. If you try to force yourself into someone else's preferred position, you could be putting strain on your back or shoulders which won't do your accuracy any good. But the fundamentals will always be to prevent the gun from touching a hard surface, i.e the floor and the peg, and using the same hold every time.

My technique is: grip the peg with my bottom three fingers. Index finger is pointing straight out towards the target. Thumb is pointing up along the axis of the peg. I then rest the gun in the 'U' shape made by thumb and index finger, and on top of the index finger. My thumb is between the peg and the stock, so the gun never touches the peg directly. On the forend of the stock I have a sticky felt pad which the tip of my index finger rests on, and another on the cheek piece. This helps keep everything in the same position for every shot. I hold quite high up the peg and the butt is always in the shoulder.

I am still experimenting but this seems to working best for me so far. My stock is completely standard TX200 so no hamster/adjustable butt pad etc.
    The main problem I have is holding steady if my heart rate goes up. When I'm relaxed and plinking in the garden I can hold good groups. Competition nerves do result in some vertical stringing. I'm not sure if this can be fixed by adjusting technique, or working on my breathing/nerves.

When you come to a lane that forces you to hold up the peg you are laughing though. Just wish there were more of them :p

5. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Thanks for the above.

I’ve had an experiment on the practice range an a struggling to get comfortable - I’ve a std barrel tx which is front heavy - feel like I’ve got to get my hand further forward with me further away from the peg....

More Practice needed.....

6. Tiger

Tiger Member

Although HFT is the primary discipline of the club I am a member of, I don’t shoot HFT due to a neck condition that means I cannot shoot prone. I could (and use to, back in the late 80s) shoot FT, but a lot of the HFT targets now, can only be shot from a very low position i.e. prone. A long winded way of saying - I wasn’t aware how similar an HFT prone shot is (by allowing the butt to be rested on the ground) to the manner in which a rifle is rested in benchrest.

7. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I "cup" the fore end between thumb & index finger for all shots and touch/grip the peg/tree/whatever with the rest of the hand but ALWAYS have the rifle in the shoulder not rested on the floor Like with a pcp to prevent/reduce to a minimum poi shift.

8. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Mickey,

I’m trying to work this out whilst at my pen pushing job. You’re right handed I guess - do you have the gun to the right or left of the peg ( assuming you can see the target from either side of the peg )?

Dan

9. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    Dan I have the peg to the right of my left hand so you'd be the other way round (peg to the left of your right/leading hand).

10. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Got it - that makes sense now!! I was having a pop yesterday but was on the same side of the peg as I would be for the pcp - it wasn’t working!!!

11. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    My TX200 Mk2 has a Warren Edwards adjustable stock. Initially I'd hoped to be able to rest the butt on the ground as I do with PCP, and to that end I put some heavy duty PTFE tape at that point, but I had great trouble with consistency. I then shot with the gun off the ground and in my shoulder and groups tightened up, but not enough. My hold until this point had been "as light as possible" (with the fore-end simply rested on my gloved hand and not gripped at all), and whilst the fore-end support was fine I found my light trigger hand was letting things jump about too much. Groups tightened up further when I pulled the stock quite firmly into my shoulder, but still of course a light trigger pressure - I shoot "thumb up". By this time most my inconsistencies were lateral deviation. So the final element was to float my face off the cheek piece once I was settled, using eye-centering techniques with the scope to eliminate parallax (which we should call, less confusingly "head position error"). I now feel my hold technique is as good as I can get it - it's just a shame that I've had to eliminate some of the benefits of having an adjustable stock!

12. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    Yes Keith, I miss the "cheek weld" technique I use with the steyr. With the boinger I just use the lightest brush of the cheek against the cheek piece.

13. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Fellas,

I’ve a tx - would a rail and hamster help? I’ve a std walnut stock and don’t want to deface it with a cut out cheek piece......

And what type of hook do HFT springer blokes use ( if any ) - am thinking that the rowan type adjustable pad would suit more than a full on MEC type thingy?

14. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    Tried an skp hook and it made it more hold sensitive went back to normal rubber one. Also a hamster makes boingers more hold sensitive too shot prone "in the shoulder"! ;)

15. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Have a read ...

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Gary shoots off the ground. I'm certain Kyle also shot off the ground. Steve Whiting, from memory, shoots up the peg and in the shoulder. All good springer HFT shooters with Kyle having the best record of all in UKAHFT National and World series combined.

Shooting off the ground gives a far more stable hold on aim. If you can hold steady on aim like the PCP boys do, then trigger release is far easier. It's easy to just concentrate on pulling back through the trigger until release whilst the cross hairs are pretty much solid on aim. It's much more difficult to master trigger release if the cross hairs are moving and you have to make yourself release the trigger when the cross hair is where you want it. Think about standing shots.

If the butt is rested directly onto the ground then check for hard objects like solid stones or tree roots. Mostly you will find the ground is loose earth and the butt will be able to give. To that end try and practice with the butt lying on the same surfaces you'd get on a course. So it's no point practising on a concrete range area where the butt will grip and results may be poor. If you use a padded range mat or the old fashioned Carp Mat then the padding will allow give ( I used an old fashioned padded Carp Mat as it had more padding than a thin range mat ).

Test different techniques on the range. See what groups you get with the fore hand and butt on the floor. See if they close up or open up with the front hand up the peg and the butt in the shoulder. Check for POI changes if you have to move up the peg for some shots. If you do shoot off the floor and have the butt pad low ( like most PCP shooters do ) then you have to find some technique to stabilise the top of the pad from wobbling sideways, as it usually sits under the armpit rather than in the shoulder ( again like most PCP ). I used a long plate instead of a buttpad so that the top of the plate extended up and had contact with the shoulder. It worked perfectly. If you use a standard style butt pad then you may have to see if you can wedge it ( the top ... lightly ) with your armpit.

You have to find what works for you in HFT.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

As said above, try everything till you find what works.
    Don't be too worried about holding the gun in the shoulder if you have to. In the Daystate Midlands series, the top 4 springer shooters have all put in scores over 90% and at least 3 of them hold in the shoulder (Steve/Perry/Mick). Not sure about Kev, I've seen he's got a target stock but never actually seen him shoot it....

17. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    The rules do say that all shots unless a "Prone Only" peg must be capable of being shot from at least the Prone and Kneeling position, and you can only have a few 'prone only' shots on a course - and many of those can often be shot from kneeling as well (even if you're not strictly allowed to).

18. Kevg

Kevg Warning: May post in random areas

Club:
    Misfits
    Hi Dan, I’ve tried, shooting off the deck, shooting off the bicep but I find shooting out of the shoulder most consistent.
    I use a warren Edwards target stock to add weight as I find a standard rifle far to light.

MickyFinn likes this.
  19. skires

skires Well-Known Member

This is true ... but there are 3x Prone Only shots. These COULD be set so that the shooter has to get low.

There are also 4x Off the Peg shots ( available ). These can require the shooter to be 2 feet off the peg to access 100% of the kill. No option on these to grip the peg, so you are shooting prone with no fore end support and no sling ... unsteady with fore end off the ground and butt still in the shoulder.

There will also be elevated shots. These require a peg of 18". It is easier to achieve elevation on the rifle with the butt low ( on the ground ). If you shoot in the shoulder you may have targets where you are at the top of the peg and the butt in the shoulder hasn't achieved the elevation required. So you have to then lower the butt from the shoulder.

So that's a lot of targets out of 30 where you may not be able to shoot front hand up the peg and butt in the shoulder. Balance that against the odd target that you HAVE to get up the peg and in the shoulder to shoot over an obstacle.

I would at least try the HFT low stance with the springer on the range, or at least do some practice in that stance, as you will need to shoot some targets like that ( have an advantage shooting some targets like that ).

These are all reasons why it's hard work shooting a springer Vs PCP on a modern HFT course. The PCP will retain a very similar POI in all the variations of positions to get at the targets with no reaction from the rifle touching the ground in the HFT low position ( Front hand on the ground and butt on the ground ... Very stable ).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  20. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    So I tried the new probe position today - up the peg and in the shoulder - found it very comfortable.

I can’t see any benefit in a hook beyond the standard butt pad?

MickyFinn likes this.