HFT Newbie Rifle

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by SeanC, Jan 9, 2019.

1. SeanC

SeanC New Member

Hi folks,
    Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have only just discovered this forum and found loads of useful info. But, one question I would like to ask is what rifles would be considered more suitable for HFT. I want to get back into air gun shooting and think HFT would be a challenge but need to buy a gun. I'm a leftie, so need either a rifle that comes in left hand flavour or an ambidextrous stock. So without breaking the bank what would you choose knowing what you know now.

My initial choices / ideas are either an Air Arms S200 or a S400/410.

Cheers

Sean

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I'd agree with the s400 series Sean but IMHO one of the most under rated HFT rifles is the AA MPR.

SeanC and Bensile like this.
  3. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Sean,

You have my sympathies - I’m leftie too and it puts you out of pocket, or uncomfortable, before you even start.

But Chris is right - MPR - ambi stock with a bolt action which you can switch over. That’s what I should have got!!

Both my guns have leftie stocks but load from the right because of the insistence of the airgun industry on the cocking lever as opposed to the bolt action...

I’ve learned to live with it but it does wind me up

Good luck

(my first HFT gun was a true leftie r10 which I should never have sold - the reg did fail like everyone said it would but it was fine once tuned and fixed)

SeanC likes this.
  4. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen

5. Blindmanjake

Blindmanjake Active Member

Club:
    Heckington HFT
    My first hft rifle 4 years ago was a Bsa ultra se 177. I've moved on to a different rifle now but the ultra is the only rifle I'll Never sell. Its absolutely fantastic. And even now when I do decide to take her out for the day, she will still compete with the best of them. Matching scores with those steyr boys all day long.
    Yes the air tube is small. But you only need 30-35 shots for a hft course. And it's capable of that with ease. Also the triggers can be sloppy at best so if you do choose the ultra you may want to consider the rowan engineering trigger unit. I've fitted it to mine and it absolutely transforms the rifle.

One of the best things you can do is go to a well stocked gun shop and have a look. And most importantly have a feel. See what fits you.

Best of luckbwoth what ever you chose. You'll be addicted in no time.

Take care. Jake.

Matty and SeanC like this.
  6. Matty

Matty New Member

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    I second this, I bought a second hand Ultra SE, fitted a Rowan trigger, Rowan hamster and a longer cylinder, I shot a PB 54/60 last weekend!! :D

SeanC likes this.
  7. gold682

gold682 Member

Club:
    Springfield
    I'd go with an HW100KT. Best bang for buck 2nd hand IMO. This was the first HFT rifle I got 2nd hand. Although i've moved on, i've still kept it, as it is a pleasure to shoot and I can reliably fall back on it as a true back-up gun.

SeanC likes this.
  8. subaru swift

subaru swift I don't have a solution, I just love the problem.

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    400 or mpr cracking rifles, the 200's are very damn good, but a bit light weight in the standard stocks.

pbrown likes this.
  9. SeanC

SeanC New Member

Thanks for the replies folks. Got some thinking to do. Going to work on a short list of 2 or 3 and go try them for fit at a shop.

10. Roger Pardy

Roger Pardy Member

Club:
    None
    When I asked about the ultra xl 2 weeks ago all I got was don't bother! Shame because I liked the looks & spec. Didn't get to shoot one though. ...
    I tried as many as I could , everyone was saying the 200/400 would be my best bet but after shooting a 410 I wouldn't buy one! It didn't fit me, the butt is too short. So I'd strongly suggest trying before you spend your cash.
    I ended up getting a Mk1 daystate huntsman. It needs a better scope but fits me so well .

SeanC likes this.
  11. Blindmanjake

Blindmanjake Active Member

Club:
    Heckington HFT
    Yeah ultra xl is a different rifle to the se