Hft/ft

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Strokebloke, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    I was introduced to HFT at Furnace Mill yesterday, by a group of friends from another forum.
    I can, at the moment only do standing shots, due to being old, decrepit and restricted by disability. :rolleyes:
    However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And did much better than I anticipated that I would.
    Tomorrow I have my first week as a member of SASC, so will see if anyone can teach me how to sit correctly.
    I have bought a seat cushion during the week. I will certainly not be as sprightly as some of the younger members, getting down to the seat and up again, so I may not complete the entire 40 lanes. We'll see.
    I am very much enjoying learning your sport. :)

2. mod23

mod23 --Sywell--

Club:
    .... Sywell... Waresley .....
    tomorrow

Just ask anyone on the range about sitting as we all do it a bit different to the next guy.
    If I'm there you can go round with me and we will try and get you comfortable with a position .
    It might only be 10 lanes with 4 targets in each so not too much getting up and down .
    Phil .

3. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Hello Phil.
    Thank you, that would be great. :)

Whenever I have seen people sitting either in photos or in reality, it so often looks immensely uncomfortable.
    I'm sure that it can't be as uncomfortable as it looks, otherwise people would modify their position so that it is comfortable. I have some info sheets from Bisley, which make it look a very sensible position to be in, but ....
    The Bisley descriptions are depicted with space-frame line drawings, highlighting points of pressure.

I'll look out for you tomorrow morning.
    Jack

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Keep

Keep away from HFT . it is "THE DARK SIDE" ??? HOLLY:):D:eek:

5. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    It does rather worry me when I see people indiscriminately throwing themselves face-forward onto the floor, and gripping trees/posts/anything-to-hand. Also they did assume some very uncharacteristic shooting positions to maintain contact with a piece of wood in each of the lanes. I assume that this sort of odd behaviour contributes toward the designation of DARK SIDE ??
    Though I must admit that I do like the concept of being awarded a point for missing the very thing that I aimed at. :D

No doubt I should not get into bad habits at this stage of my development and learning.
    I'll stick to FT at SASC, with Phil, tomorrow.
    I'll concentrate solely upon learning to sit. (I'll be like a well behaved spaniel by the time I arrive at Bisley)

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Strange

Ahhh but that is not the half of it . at first they will let you lay on a mat to keep dry BUT after a while you will have to lay / stand / kneel in a puddle that is half an inch higher than you ? breathing through a snorkel . no listen cos this will cure you of such thoughts . i went to a well known club called MAD on a wednesday night to pick up a rifle for a mate . they were just getting ready to shoot . it was as near dark as made no difference it was piddling down with rain . they were putting batteries in their torches to shoot by .they asked me if i wished to have a shoot ? ARE YOU MAD ? yes they said . maldon and district hft club . ohwerrrrrrrrr mother . STRANGE .:):D:eek:

7. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Are You Sure

Surely you are being quite unfair.
    Maldon is in ESSEX. :eek: :p
    There must be HFT clubs up and down the country whose members are not deluded into thinking that they are commando wildfowl. The people I spent yesterday with were very companionable. The sun shone all day long. And I didn't see anyone with a gun, and a snorkel.
    I think you may be exaggerating slightly in a valiant attempt to keep me within the FT fold. :rolleyes: :D
    Jack

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I find laying prone far more comfortable than sitting . and tell me this , why do fters fart about with their pa and turrets when you can just guess the range within 1 or 2 yds and just bloody shoot the bugger:D

9. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    FT

Ahhhhh, now one of my contemporaries yesterday explained that to me in great detail.
    Unfortunately my memory is now very poor ..... :eek:

It is not lying down that I find awkward. It's getting down. And getting back up again. :D :D
    (I have seen people rolling around in muddy puddles, half an inch deeper that they are, howling with laughter at my attempts to place myself in a prone position: then return to my feet.) :rolleyes: :)

Guessing the range to within 1 or 2 yds, sounds very plausible. Until you remember that some of the kill-zones are so infinitesimally small it is not possible to distinguish them from the individual pellet marks. Or, at least with my eyesight, it's not anyway ...

10. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

You need to realise that when Holly says "The Darkside" he really means "Heterosexual"
    ;)

11. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Ricochet

Oh dear. I really have missed the target, haven't I ? :eek: :D
    Thanks for the advice ;)

12. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    :D
    you see what can o worms you've opened strokebloke

13. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Worms ?

I appreciate that it is no defence in law, y'Honour; but may I plead ignorance ? :confused:

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    What a gay day ?

As scooby wil tell you the cry goes up at MAD ." FORM A CIRCLE" ??? HOLLY
    PS i'll have dopper after me now . cept he is in canada . so i am safe , for a while ?:):D:eek:

15. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    First Worms - now Circles

How on earth am I going to explain all of this to my wife ?
    The mind boggles at the myriad possibilities for misunderstanding :eek: :eek:

16. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    sitting position

Jack
    Sitting to shoot will seem uncomfortable at first,but once you've done it a few time's it become's second nature.
    If you want to shoot both disapline's FT/ Hft ,try UK sarc on your none FT day's.
    I think they have an open class that allow's shooter's to sit and shoot,with target's out to 45 yds.
    I do not know much about Hft range finding,but i do know that kill size is a clue as to distance on some target's.
    I'm sure a fully qualified Hft'er will be along shortly to explain.
    Which ever you shoot enjoy it,and keep the wit up,most laugh's i've had outside the vegetable patch:D:D
    Catch up at bisley
    Simon

17. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Thanks Simon. I will try SARC, (but don't tell HOLLY)
    What you have described is exactly what I found this morning at Sywell. Oddly enough, I thought it was going to be the getting-down & getting-up again which was going to be the difficult part, but it's not: it is the fact that I get out of breath so quickly, then find it difficult to regulate my breathing. :mad: :eek:o The 'uncomfortable' problem is something which I'm sure that I can overcome. This afternoon I'm going to order a Rowan Eng hamster for the Mk3. I've watched, and talked to others, who have provided good advice and tips. I've seen different seating positions to try. And Phil (Mod 23) has been a real source of instruction, advice and encouragement this morning. He has spent a significant chunk of his shooting time with me this morning. Thank you Phil - very much appreciated.
    Bisley is the 23rd - so I have a fortnight to sort out my sitting position; learn to cope with my breathing difficulties as best I can; possibly also reposition my scope so that I can use it in a sitting position, as well as standing, and practice, practice, practice. At the moment, kneeling appears to be out of the question. It may not ultimately be, but at the moment I'll concentrate on getting the sitting sorted out. Then I may reconsider kneeling.
    There's a lot to do in a fortnight. but I have plenty of time. :D

18. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Hamster on the way. !!

19. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I am the opposite to you, I have decided to give up FT for a number of reasons:
    Sitting kills my back after a lane or two, I just cannot get comfortable any more.

The option of shooting Sporting prone off my elbows ( if you can see the kill, that is) is also out for the same reasons.

I like to shoot year round whatever the conditions. I can deal with cold or rain, but not physical pain.

I go shooting to enjoy myself, not end up in agony. Trying to get comfy so I can concentrate on the shot has become impossible due to age-related conditions, probably caused by too much training/sport in my youth using bad techniques/equipment.

Also it is quite gay what with all the pink feathers:D

HFT is the opposite, you get to have a lie down on a comfy mat that is usually put down by one of your kind shooting partners.
    If there is a ceasefire, you can get get a micro nap in. How civilised is that:D

20. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Comfort Zones

Hi Rob.
    I'm really only gravitating towards FT because that it appears that this is what is primarily shot at Sywell.
    Oh, and I have been advised that it is best not to get on the wrong side of HOLLY :rolleyes:
    I enjoyed the HFT at Furnace Mill.
    I must confess that since the strokes and being informed of the tumours, I tend to adopt a frame of mind of : - 'I will not allow this thing (whatever it is) to beat me.'
    If it does, I pack it up and move on: or if I know at the outset that I will not be able to manage it I don't even start. So Alpine-yodel bungee-jumping off the Matterhorn is out of the question ;)

I've added some filling to my seat cushion. Which makes it much more supporting.
    I swapped scopes to see if my 3-9x50, repositioned would permit a more comfortable position.
    But ultimately reinstated the 6-24x50, but positioned differently on the rails. I'll sight it in and zero it at 32yds again tomorrow, then when the hamster arrives I'll get down to some serious practice.

Is pink a mandatory specification for the windicators ? I have noticed that most are pink.
    I assumed that it was one of the BFTA rules. :) :) :)

BTW - what is SFT ?? I note that you are/have been World Champion.

ATB with your HFT career. I'll look out for you: because whatever HOLLY says, I think I'll do it again ~ and Simon has suggested that I have a look at SARC too.
    I do hope I don't get banned before I've got to know you all.