HFT/FT Rig cost

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AndyIoW, May 7, 2010.

?

Cost or rifle/scope for HFT or FT

1. Upto £249.99

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. £250 to £499.99

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. £500 to £749.99

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. £750 to £999.99

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. £1000 to 1249.99

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. £1250 to £1499.99

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. £1500 to £1749.99

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  8. Money no object

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Reading all the threads recently, on the other foums as well, about what puts off those that shoot HFT from FT and one reason seems to be the cost of the equipment.

Now this seems, to me at least, a bit of a lame argument as when you read the reports and see the equipment being used in both fields of our competitions is the same virtually.

So thinking about that, I have started this poll so that we can get an idea of what the average cost of equipment is. If you use the equipment cost for you main sport of HFT or FT. This is not concerned wether it is new or second hand or which particular variation you do.

I have started it off, using the prices I paid for the equipment I use now even though I brought some of it over 12 years ago

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Andy,

I think it's got more to do with where you spend your cash in the first place.

An AA EV2 will do both HFT and FT equally well, as will a Daystate, but a 3-12 scope won't
    allow you to compete in FT as well as it will in HFT. Even a 6-24 will put you at a distinct
    disadvantage over the high mag scopes of the top FT shooters. Also a lot of the FT rifles
    are single shot with no magazine option, a rifle used for hunting/HFT would probably be
    capable of fitting a magazine.

If you have budget for a top FT scope, then I agree a good shot could compete with the best
    using not much more than an S200 but not with a 3-12 or fixed mag as are used by most
    HFT shooters.

There is also the time involved, clashes in dates between HFT and FT comps, family commitments,
    practicing 2 shooting disciplines. It all adds up.

Neal

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Neal,

I realise that there are other costs involved which is why I was more after the Rifle and Scope cost. I may of not made it clear in my original post.

For example, for every Winter League event, apart from our own, we have the cost of a ferry to add to the petrol prices for the shoots travelled and that is on average £40 per event. You imagine doing say just the HFT events in the Summer and you are looking at adding another £20 just for the ferry.

I just enjoy shooting and am lucky enough to have a FT rig and another rifle and scope combination that will aloow me to do hunting and HFT if needed.

Andy

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I think this would have been better as two seperate polls? One for ft, one for Hft?

Also, i have a "main"Ft rig that cost £1300 for gun and scope, and a back up that cost £700. Should I have voted for iether of those, or an average of £1000?

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think Andy's point is that it's more about how much people are spending irrelevant of their discipline...

6. NJR 100

Club:
    I thaught as much too.
    But if there is just one poll, those not in the know are perhaps going to think everything over say £1000 is ft, everything below Hft. Back comes the old you need money to compete at ft myth.

I personally would like to know how much the average Hft rig being used is costing, especially by the better ( eg AA class Hft) Shooters.

I think it would be great to be able to convince more non-competion shooters that you dont need expensive rigs to shoot either Ft or Hft.
    Whats needed is courses that all do well on?

7. RobF

Club:
    Hmm... dunno... last GP 150+ shooters, and 100 of them AA/A ... can't think you can make it easier without there being a big pile up at the top.

You need something for everyone, but you need something to seperate them as well.

I much prefer missing a load and coming off and given the course a good hard fight, than losing 1-2 shots and finding myself buried under the stampede. That is of course from a selfish perspective viewpoint. But I think there's a danger in saying "this is easy, have a go"...

8. rickysdaystate

rickysdaystate Make Every Shot Count

Club:
    Greyhound
    Brand new price mine would cost around £1650
    Daystate MK4= Around £900
    Paul Wilson stock= Arround £350
    Adjustable Trigger= Around £50
    Longer Air Cylinder = Around £100
    MCT Viper 3-12x44= Around £220

Could do with a better scope but that will be another £600:eek:

9. NJR 100

Club:

10. RobF

Club:
    OIC... erm, yep, at local anything goes in my book... i think it's almost easier to build a spread into a course, and make a few shots seperate the top, probably because there's less of a thick top end. The winter league is all about encouraging new shooters :)

11. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

My hft set up consists of a Daystate Mk3 won in the raffle at Quarry Hunters and a Hawke 10x42 Sidewinder won in the help for heroes raffle at kibby, total cost..................................................................................................................................................................:p:p:p:cool:

12. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Are we talking what it's cost to put a rig together or the new cost? Because in my case there's a wee bit of a difference between the two!

13. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I'm not telling cos if my Mrs ever finds out I'm a dead man:D:D:D

14. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

Tell her you won them :D

15. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

That was rather sharp Mick :D:D Like it :D:D

16. RobF

Club:
    :D... it's like a shield of steel having access to the member's 1/2's email addresses :D

17. RobF

Club:
    Twas... harsh, but fair :D

18. RobF

Club:
    I think it's just what you'll run to put a rig together or what you have run to.

19. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

My HFT rig stands me at just over £1100 including the Leup, but to do it again from new would be more than 3x that! As much as I love my shooting ,no way would I pay that much for an airgun, I've paid less for cars!

20. RobF

Club:
    Yeh, right ;) :D (dont worry, we wouldn't tell her :D:D)