HFT Courses

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Sparky, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I was shown a thread on the BBS on how hard a course should be and by the seems of it quite a few good points were raised.

But people do seem to forget although we all love hard and extreme courses, and I for one don t like all targets to be clear “but†if targets are obscured then they should be obscured for the duration of the course, when you get targets that twigs etc are covering them that can be shot away and then left clear for the next shooter is not fair imo.
    I ll give you an example a few years ago I shot a course, the bloke in my group shot a twig that was over the kill and got a 0, then I had a clear shot at that target, the thing was this happened about 3 or 4 times that day just within our group and to me that wasn t fair on him, there was even one target that was unshootable until about 6 groups went through? Another thing I m all for awkward positions etc but as long as it doesn t give juniors or novices a major disadvantage over experienced shooters, the worse one is when a junior has to take a 40+ yarder kneeling or standing when an adult can get the shot prone.
    There s plenty of ways of making an interesting challenging course without given anyone an unfair advantage, just needs a bit of thought and effort.

Pete

2. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I know what you mean Pete, I shot a course at Basingstoke last year (some extreme course IIRC ) & because I shoot lefty I could hardly see some of the targets, let alone hit some of the targets at all without getting into some awkward positions, actually now that I think back there were a couple I couldn't hit at all.
    It is hard sometimes to get a balance between a good hard shot & a lottery shot that looks hard but is near on impossible to hit by everyone..
    If a kill is covered then it needs to be with something that doesn't deteriorate throughout the whole shoot.
    Numbers by targets, only if the strings cross badly, otherwise it's down to the shooter IMO to pull the string.
    A cagejust plonked in front of a target is another of my pet hates, they are ok if they are 'set up' to make you think but otherwise they have no place on the course IMO.
    All in all, the courses I shot last year in the UK's & the SiHFT got it spot on, with the smaller kills & different sized plates it's enough to make a course interesting if they are placed with thought.... :D

3. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Bob on Pete,

The course should be the same for everyone, if an obstruction is there for one shooter it
    should be there for all.

Neal

4. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters

That's mate, some people complain about the UKAHFT format but its there to try and be fair to everyone.

Pete

5. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Agree 100% Pete although I am far to outspoken to comment :D

A course should be the same for everyone , a funny thing happened a little while ago when a new chap was setting a target out with the base of his foot on the peg shooting far right with debris obscuring the target along the way .

I asked if we would all see it properly to which he answered , ' well I can ' - I replied ' Yes but you are 7 ft tall James ' lol

Whenever I set a course out I try to make sure its safe and accessible for all .

atvb

Dave

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks

Yeah & at around 25 yards eh Dave :p

7. Kingplinker

LMAO - very good Steve :D

8. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

There's a rumour going around, wether right or wrong that Range cards or bracketing cards are banned next year. Is there any truth in this?

9. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    There's plenty of rumours all the time:D but no truth in that, as if the course setters do their job right a rangecard can be a disadvantage.

The trouble with rumours is 9 times out of 10 its something one person wants changeing so they start a rumour to see if they can get the ball rolling, if you get my drift.

Pete

10. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    The problem with obsuring targets is what do you use to obsure them?

If you use wood it can splinter and make the shot more difficult for the next shooter, If you use metal, when someone hits it they clame a 1

11. Kingplinker

Very good point Gary ! Same for cages too .

atvb

Dave

12. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    There are plenty of ways to do it, even with having metal, nothing wrong with having it part of the target, as its not necessary done for people to get a 0 its there to reduce a kill size.

Pete

13. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I agree with Gary and Dave's comments re things in front of kills and I also agree with Pete's comments re reducing kill zone.

I don't like the targets hidden behind wire fences etc at a distance. I can understand it may be to reduce a kill and make the skill to hit the kill either side of the wire but in a lot of cases a kill or a plate, or even a miss is just down to the luck of whether your pellet has missed the wire.

Once you are including luck into the equation it's a bad target in my opinion. Just use a reduced kill target.

I think it's fine in fun shoots or extreme shoots .... but I don't think luck should come into the National comps.

Boz

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  14. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    I normally set quiet easy courses but i do like to put obstacles in the way where it will test your knowledge of your pellet trajectory. As long as its the same for the first as it is for the 31st of course. It seems a lot of shooters now just want a perfectly clear target. Boring imo :)

15. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Use a bell!:p:D

My thoughts on lottery shots/mickey mouse targets are well known.:)

Ryan

16. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Think we have gone off track a bit, this is not so much about lottery targets its about course layouts.

The thing that does make me laugh is when you get people, saying that UKAHFT shoots are too easy and their club courses are harder etc yet they seem to shoot well at their own club shoots but on the National scene they bomb and the same goes for the people who say prone is too easy etc yet never seem to score over 50 themselves? Never get my head around that!!!!
    Also when you have people moaning about some club courses when they tell you about it, yet praise them up on the internet:confused:

Pete

17. Kingplinker

Familiarity perhaps ???

atvb

Dave

18. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    If the same course is out week in week out then yes it could well be, but what i'm getting at is people who think the Nationals should be harder etc never seem to do well when they have a go, so why do they want them harder? which surely thier own scores would be worse.

Pete

19. Kingplinker

PS : courses are great when you shoot well and cr@p when you don't . lol

Anyway what suggestions do you have Pete on the subject of which the thread was made ?

atvb

Dave

20. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Its like i have always said, the UKAHFT format is far from the best or perfect, but imo its fair to all shooters, what gets to me is when people who rarely shoot comps want to change things to what they think is best and most time wont suit all, i would love to shoot extreme courses every week, but thats not fair on newcomers and novices etc.

Pete