Here's a Steyr I've set up recently

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Thepointman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Thepointman

Thepointman New Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    I converted this old Steyr LG100 from a 10m gun to a 16j gun for Field Target this winter. The modifications were many as the old Steyr Mannlicher design isn't as friendly to increasing power as the newer Sportwaffen models. The modifications included: changing to 85 bar regulator, adding external power adjuster, milling out to allow fitting of external power adjuster, made parts for the hammer assembly on my lathe, free floated the barrel, added Anschutz Butthook, and added adjustable knee riser (hamster).

The velocity is very consistent and accuracy and well above acceptable with A/A 8.4's and Crosman Premier 7.9's. The riflle has an old Barley Twist barrel that seems to do the job well. I tried a Rowan air stripper, but started getting flyers. (Not sure why as I have one on my EV2 that works superbly). So, I will probably just make a muzzle compensator myself when I have time.

I am testing the "Welman" scope rail made by Pelcan in the USA. This is an excellent value as it only costs about $75 U.S. dollars. Far less expensive than most options here for quality scope rails. (Note: This rail was specifically designed for an Air Arms 510, but fits the Steyr very well. Pelcan is now working on a specific rails for the Steyr!)

I am thinking about having the black housing done in a carbon fiber hydrograpic finish. Maybe also make a new set of wood for it too. Just some more things to tinker with in the future.

Harold Rushton :)

[​IMG]

"Welman" scope rail
    [​IMG]

Adjustable knee riser
    [​IMG]

Nice compact package in this 28" case
    [​IMG]

Handy to carry to local matches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maddog

maddog Active Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    knee riser

hi mate where did you get the knee riser, is the steyr eny moor acurate then the tm 1000. dave

3. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Very nice work mate, looks great! :)

4. Thepointman

Thepointman New Member

Club:
    Re: Steyr v TM1000

Hi Dave,

The riser part is made by MAC1 airguns in the U.S. RAW is also making one that is similar in appearance. This one was a spare that I had laying around, so I used it on this project. I like being able to move the knee rest up and down as needed from lane to lane, so I use these on all of my rifles.

At this point, this Steyr and the TM1000 are pretty close to equal in accuracy. If there's an edge, the TM1000 would probably win out overall. That's all dependant on pellets of course and I think I've found what the TM prefers now. :) I am not yet sure of the best choice for this Steyr. I am still testing different pellets and need more wind testing to make a final decision. Right now I'm leaning toward Air Arms 8.4 -- 4.52's as being the best choice. I do like both rifles and my EV2, so it's a tough choice on match day! :)

Harold

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. maddog

maddog Active Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    steyr

my steyr likes jsb 452, 8.4 , just my look knee rest out of stock at mac1 the raw one look's biger all round.dave

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. Thepointman

Thepointman New Member

Club:
    Re: Knee Rest

Dave,

Yes, the one RAW makes is larger, but it also raises higher for those steep angle shots too. It's very well machined if you can get along with a little extra weight. I wouldn't hesitate getting the one from RAW if I needed one. It's a nice piece for sure!

Harold

7. TxemaD

TxemaD Member

Club:
    Lupiana FT, AZCFT.
    Very nice configuration, enjoy it!!

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Very nice I like the small bag.

9. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    That's a lovely rework of a classic rifle. It's so nice to see the Bumble Bee woodwork on display.

I do like the LG100 style Connect stock. It doesn't give you just as much pitch adjustment as the LG110, but the lever style release is just so much more practical.

You should check out a Steyr grip angle adjuster disc as well - very effective.

I'd like to ask you about you comment that the Sportswaffen is more accommodating to the 16J upgrade than the Mannlicher? I wasn't aware of any differences between the working parts of the two variants - but I'm always keen to learn more!

Also, check out JSB Exact Express 4.51 - my Barley Twist loves them!

10. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    This is my Manlicher which started out as a Target Match Gun but had the power increased at the Factory as you can see by the Pentagon symbol, according to Harry this is the way to tell as it looks like the tip of a drill has just touched the symbol. This is also fitted with an external regulator adjuster thankfully as it does need adjusting when the weather changes and this is made so easy by the use of a small spanner (wrench) The Barrels in the picture are .20 and .22 I contacted Rowan regarding an Air Stripper but as I have a Barrel adaptor fitted they did not recommend using one, I do not want to take it off as it is fitted with the quietest silencer you have ever heard.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  11. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    What do you think of the .20 barrel?

12. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Hi Cameron.
    To be honest I have never fitted either of them, they came with the gun when I bought it, I can't see me having any use for them, I think the .22 is a BSA and the .20 is German but he could not remember the maker.
    Gary.

13. Thepointman

Thepointman New Member

Club:
    Re: Difference in Mannlicher and Sportwaffen

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for your compliments! The difference in converting an old LG100 10 meter gun and a newer gun is the depth of the hammer channel. My gun is really old S/N 00273, so the hammer channel is not bored as deep as the newer versions. You can now purchase a kit to convert virtually all LG100 & 110 models to the external power adjuster with the new hammer design. That kit will work fine in all guns that have the proper size channel bored in the trigger unit. However, as on my gun, the channel will not accommodate the new hammer as it is too long. So, I used the original hammer & spring. I made a bushing on my lathe that fits to the rear of the hammer and spring. It fits inside the external power adjuster and the hammer rides inside the part I made. This allows the use of the new external adjuster and the old hammer / spring assembly. I'm getting only about 3 fps variations over the Chrony with this set up.

I hope I've described this sufficiently. The main thing to remember is that this only applies to really old LG100's. So, it's probably not an issue on most conversions.

I do plan to get the angle adjustment disk for the grip or at least make one. A bit of angle would help a lot I think.

My last Steyr loved JSB Express. I will try some in this one as well. The only issue here at this time is getting a batch that's consistent. The older Express were always fantastic in my EV2. However, the batch I got last year did shoot so well.

Take care,

Harold

14. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I thought all the early Mannlichers were factory converted 10m guns? Mine has the drilled out pentagon symbol too (s/n 00978)

15. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    That's interesting, I didn't realise that there was a difference in the depth of hammer channel.

Well they say you learn something new every day!

Cheers, Fella.

Cam.

16. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    When I checked with Harry Preston regarding the power, that's what he told me. I notice the symbol on the o/p gun is intact. The other thing I am curious about is the serial number, yours has the 0 in front mine is 1547, why is there no 0 in front of the 1.