Help pleASE

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by villiers, Jun 15, 2009.

1. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Leupold 20x50 how much do they shift with temp and how do you deal with it.As over the weekend i am shore that mine shifted 10 yard with a temp rise of 5to 6 deg.is this the norm and is it some thing i have to learn to live with.As i am looking for why i shot so crap at the weekend.
    Cheers for any help Don:confused:

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Rich had trouble at the weekend, but the jury is out as to whether it was scope (20-50) or gun.

Did you check the ranges on the plinking range?

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Don,

Do you range on the targets or the trees ?

I find I get more variation when ranging on targets probably due to the differing light conditions

4. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    I range on the knot as i find this the best, i checked the ranges afterwards the 45yard board was comeing up as 55yard.Went to Bisley to day the 55yard board was well round past my normal mark,scope temp was 23deg which is the hottes i have shot this scope in.I started in lane 5 my first target came in as 52 1/2 dailed my normal setting gave the wind and hit 12oclock 1/2 inch high .The rest is history.

5. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Fixed 10 mag give it a Mildot down for 55yds and edge of kill for wind, over it goes:D:D:D:D:D

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

That's strange Chris I give em 2 mildots:eek:

Are you zeroing at 45y now ? :D

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That sounds like the problem then. If known ranges are shifting, then, that's got to be a major factor.

I got mine to range nicely, but I never had a chance to use it all year around as I kept going back to my fisher price one.

I looked through rich's and got 45 at 50... but then those white boards threw mine forward by 2.5 yds and I only got them on the money when I went off the stumps they were nailed to. I also had fun and games with the strings, as many had lost their frays, and I really need to have something in the order of a single strand or a spider's web to be sure, else I can be 2.5yds out, at least.

I wasn't used to rich's scope to say whether it was out or just the way i was using it.

8. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Not pertaining particularly to the scope in question but as well as temperature don't discount light conditions as a contributing factor. I've found that rangefinding can vary between days that are bright or gloomy when temperatures are actually the same. Sometimes I really hate FT and particularly FT scopes!;):D

9. skipper

skipper New Member

Me to Pete, hmmmm is there something big chris isnt telling us :D

10. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    28ftlb:)is what i would have to run my gun at to only use one mil dot hold over.Chair gun sorry:p

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Why do you think CHris is the only person to run an Airwolf out of air during a comp Don!;):p:D

Ryan

12. JAGXKRS

Never even been close on the chrono mate, it ran out cos I forgot to fill the bloody thing:eek::eek::eek:

13. JAGXKRS

Ooops, yep 55yds is 2 Mildots 45 is 1 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad NEFTA Clasic 2018

Club:
    NELSON
    having the same problem but look at James put in a clear on the weekend using a loup 40x comp so they can be used so just put you time in they don't move as much our as fast as some shooters say do your home work have diffrent points where you take your range from our just take yards off
    :shot: