Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Makalu, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Makalu

Makalu New Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill
    Hi All,
    I'm Jon from Leicester. I'm a complete beginner to all this malarky. I have always had an interest in shooting but never done anything about it until now. After much reading, web trawling and forum lurking, I have decided that my primary interest lies in the Field Target side of things. Having read many posts in this forum it seems like this is a good place to hang out for FT related stuff.

Right now, I have so many questions I dont know where to start. I have just 'signed on' to a local club and I am looking forward to the induction day later this month - I just hope the guy running the course can cope with the incoming Spanish Inquisition.

I have started looking around for a decent rifle and scope and I have a budget of about a grand. I would prefer to start out with new kit since I wouldnt know how to judge if a piece of second hand kit is any good or not. Whilst the choices are somewhat stifling, I think I have decided upon an AA MPR and a Falcon T50. Generally, these both seem to have good reviews and I can get them for the amount I have to spend.

I would appreciate it if some of you experienced guys could also suggest what other stuff is needed in order to take part in the sport. Are there any 'must haves' or 'nice to haves' that really make a difference to your ability to take part?

Thanks for reading,
    Jon (Forum name Mak).

2. T2Stu

T2Stu New Member

Hi Jon, welcome to the sport :), if you have a grand to spend go for second hand, ft guys look after there gear better than there wives, :p keep away from falcon and the hunting type stuff, get down the club ask to have a go with there rifles i'm sure some one will sort you out, take it you will be in a midland club?, if you can't get any help give me a buzz,

Stuart

3. 1963malc

1963malc Member

Pop into the Greyhound FTC and see if you can try out different rifles and scopes. Regardless of reviews, only use them as a guide and make your own mind up about scopes as opinions can differ between shooters as our eyes are all different.

If you thought that choice was tricky, pellet choice will really get you going. If you go with the MPR, try AA Field 4.52, or JSB Exact 4.52 to start with as a benchmark to judge others by. Group sizes and fliers dictate if your barrel likes a pellet brand.

You'll need a cushion to sit on and you might want to buy a glove to hold the stock and stiffen your wrist. An air gun valved air bottle to fill your gun will be needed too.

Good luck but don't be afraid to ask loads of questions.

4. mykeed20

mykeed20 Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Set up

Hi mate if i were spending £1000 on a set up then second hand would be definatley the way to go, as said above FT lads treat thier kit better than the missus, and its not unreasonable for you with your budget to get a good second hand EV2 for £650 - £750 or a Pro Target for around £500 in mint condition, a decent scope second hand like a Big Nikko or a Bushnell 4200 anything from £300 - £450 dont be afraid of second hand as most stuff if generally faultless having been used and run in, as said go to a club and try as much kit as you can before buying anything and see what the guys at different clubs have for sale, 99% of people will not sell something if its faulty or rip you off.
    ATB Mike

5. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

Dave

6. Makalu

Makalu New Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill
    So much for all the planning...

Quick update...

The Club Induction day went well leaving me pretty confident that I am safe amongst others whilst holding a gun. Now looking forward to meeting up with the FT'ers at the club (Dowry Hill) so I can start to watch and learn.

Sourcing a gun... well all the best laid plans went to pot. The new MPR FT morphed into a 2nd hand EV2 MkII with Ostler Reg and the Falcon T50 into a Big Nikko MkI with all the toys on it. These should arrive tomorrow (Thanks Rob...) - just in time for an evening shoot at the club.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with it all...

I'll add more as I start to make some progress.

Incidently, can anyone explain in laymans terms why FT'ers mount their scopes so high?

Thanks,
    Mak.

7. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

Incidently, can anyone explain in laymans terms why FT'ers mount their scopes so high?

I mount mine high for comfort, you should do whatever you need to get comfortable.

8. Makalu

Makalu New Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill
    It Lives!

Finally got my grubby mitts on my new (to me) EV2 MKII. Looks fantastic, weighs a ton. Going to have to put some time in down the gym I think...

The gun was clearly very well set up for its previous owner with all the bling you could want. Now I have to figure out how to make it 'mine'. I took it out for it's first shoot hoping that the existing settings would not need to be altered too much. Unfortunately I think there is much work to be done. Shooting at 25yards, it was shooting about ten inches high and despite every attempt to wind it down I ran out of adjustment at about 3 inches high. Scope adjustment required... I removed the small amount of elevation in the rear scope mount and added a small amount to the front. This had me shooting at about 5mm high but now it had shifted to the left by about 1cm. I tried using the windage turret to adjust for this but the turret just appeared to spin and make no adjustment (and no clicks). At this point, before I resorted to brute force and ignorance I decided to call it a day and see if there was something wrong with the turret before I end up doing something wrong. Wish I had a user manual for this scope!!!

First impressions? This is a good gun. It was happily placing pellets on top of each other, albeit in the wrong place. I'm sure once I can figure out what I need to do with the windage turret that this will be a lot of fun to shoot. I still need to play around with the cheek piece, butt and hamster to get them to fit my shape (no mean feat!) but I'm really looking forward to getting to the point where it fits like a glove. Which reminds me, I must get a decent set of ball end hex keys.

So my objectives for this week - fix the scope issue to get it shooting right and start adjusting it to fit.

I was hoping to get along to the Shires100 to spectate a bit but my Lad's cricket got in the way. Well done to everyone who took part and a big round of applause to the Dowry Hill guys. I'm really looking forward to joining you once I get sorted out.

Mak.

9. Makalu

Makalu New Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill
    Finally it's shooting straight! (Many thanks to Nick, Steve and Val!)
    Now I have to get used to shooting from a sitting position... not a simple task for a less than flexible 'big' guy... Now where did I put that Discount Gym membership voucher...

Mak.

10. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I`ll give you big and raise you!

Dont worry, some of us big uns can shoot the ev2. Just takes time to get your position sorted.

Perhaps you will be at farcoley gp end of aug?

11. Makalu

Makalu New Member

Club:
    Dowry Hill
    Hehe - I like your confidence. I really dont think I will be anywhere near ready for a comp by the end of August. When I say I'm new to all this, I really do mean 'brand new'... I spent 2 hours this morning getting coached on how to pull the trigger!!!

My plan is to take part in some of the winter series of 'friendlys' so my goal is to get match fit by September / October time. No idea where / when these are yet but when I do, I'll pick one and use it as an incentive to get ready.

Thanks for the friendly encouragement though.

:eek:)

Mak.