hello all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Danladi, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Danladi

Danladi New Member

My name's Dan and I'm a complete newbie to the sport, but looking to get into HFT as soon as i can!

I've managed to get a good deal on a second hand Daystate Harrier and fitted it with a MTC Viper 10x44 scope. OK it's not the best there is but it should be more than enough to get me going :)

I've spent quite a bit of time getting the scope zeroed @ 40 yards and taking note of the various aiming points between 8 and 45 yards and I'm pretty confident that any misses are due to me now hehe.

I'm currently living in Stoke-on-Trent and what I'm looking for is a good fairly local club where I can get to know the ropes in a relaxed environment. Bisley is pretty close but whether that's a good place for a first-timer i'm not sure. What do you guys think? Or are there any other suggestions?

Cheers :)

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Hi Dan, there's a few clubs a lot closer than Bisley to Stoke that do HFT.

Within an hour and a bit you've got.

Tawd Vale and Rivington Riflemen to the North.

Fort and Quarry to the West.

The Greyhound, Millride, Rough Wedge, Harriers, Quarford and a few others to the South.

To the East, Anston, Redfearns, Emley Moore, Leicester Airgun Club and Lincs HFT.

There's a National round at Bisley this weekend and then a NW Gauntlet shoot at Rivington the Sunday after, if you fancy dipping your toe in? I'll happily take you round the course at Rivi and show you the ropes.:)

Ryan

3. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi Dan

Well a harrier and viper is a capable tool for the job , not sure about the 40 yards zero but if it works for you then thats fine .

I used to go to Bisley and as much as I love the place don't think it's the best place to go as a newbie , then again you will have lots of knowledge there if they chose to share it with you . lol

Loads of clubs around , be sure to tell them you are new to the sport as that way you can team up with a seasoned shooter to show you the ropes. Its also worth going to the various comps around the country , they are not as serious as you might think and the banter is second to none .

Enjoy , I'm sure you will

Dave

4. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

hi and welcome to the forum mate

your combo will see you proud indeed - keep practicing:cool:

you could also look up clubs at Doveridge, Penkridge or on Monday nights, the NSRA at Aldersley in Wolverhampton is a 25m range indoor for sub 12ftlb air rifles.

ATB

Phil

5. Danladi

Danladi New Member

Thanks for the quick replies! fortunately for me (unfortunately for the daystate) i'm going to be on holiday for a week as of saturday so i'm unable to make it to anything in the next two weeks. It looks like there's a lot more clubs than i originally expected nearby though, definately going to check them out.

with regards to zeroing at 40 yards... i got advised by the guy i bought the gun off to zero it at 40 yards, meaning it will be zeroed at 10 and 40. hold-under for targets between 10 and 40 and hold-over for 8 or 45 yard shots. He builds and repairs custom pcp rifles for a living and sounded like he knew what he was talking about.As I said i'm pretty new to it but it's been working for me thus-far. If there is a more effective range to zero at for strictly hft purposes i'm all ears.

cheers again, will most likely see some of you at a hft shoot in the near future :)

6. Feral

Feral New Member

Dan you'll find the vast majority of HFT shooters will get the scope as close to the barrel as possible and zero between 25 and 35 but you need to find what works for you... for me using mossies that equates to:

8 yards 2.5
    10 yards 1.5

13 yards 0.5

15 Yards 0.2

17 yards 0

19 Yards +0.2

20 yards +0.3

25 yards +0.4

30 yards +0.2

35 yards 0

40 yards 0.2

45 yards 0.6