Have I Got A problem With My FTP

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by chrisbaker42, Aug 25, 2015.

1. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Maybe I'm getting paranoid about recent problems people have had with their FTP's but having tried a different scope on mine and then reverted back to the original I took it into the garden to zero the scope and was a bit surprised to find the first pellet was at least an inch left, a few clicks to the right and the second pellet was about 8mm to the right (less than expected) few more clicks third pellet 3cm right and 2cm low, without any more adjustment the next 10 shots were all over the place, 3 on target others all scattered about left, right, high and low. I have since checked the scope which was securely mounted and cleaned the barrel, only had a few minutes before it started raining so only managed a few pellets, first few as expected a bit varied and then the last three through the same hole. Hopefully it is the barrel clean that has sorted it especially as I used Napier lube in the last tin of pellets, I have started a new tin of JSB Express since cleaning the barrel. I wish this *** rain would stop.

Any ideas gratefully received.

2. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Try air arms pellets,I found the head is a bit more rounded on them and My ;).... results were an improvement on JSB's.
    HERX77 .

3. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

I'll give them a try. Looks like my fears were unfounded but I will certainly not be lubing pellets in future.

It would be interesting to know how frequently other FTP owners find they need to clean their barrels if at all.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Gary does it quiet regulary ,the barrel I believe!:rolleyes: but as mine has only just come back I will leave it for a bit and see if I really need to clean on a regular basis. My GC2, HW77, AA400 and Daystate MK3 don't seem to need cleaning,I wonder if the brand of pellet determines the frequency of rags down bores! Certainly when using RWS Superfields(4 year old batches) they don't get a clean,don't seem to need it.On AA's only time will tell as long as the gun doesn't go wrong.
    HERX77 .

5. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

At the moment I'm putting it down to using the Napier lube on the pellets as it all seems fine now thankfully.

6. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    I clean mine every time I shoot it ,then run about 20 shots through , and ready to go , I use jsb longer deeper skirted batches seem to work for me in 4.51 , mustve put 20k rounds through it now and lubing defo tightens my grouping up

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. Rudy

Rudy WHFTA 2014 World Champion

Club:
    Mile oak
    I clean my barrel after every shoot , and as Vince said I lead it up with 20 pellets . Mine likes 4.52 AA , hope this helps , Rudy

8. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Many thanks for the responses, I'll take on board the suggestions offered and clean my barrel on a more regular basis and will try the lubing again soon.

9. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Hi Chris,

I had a similar experience and eventually put it down to very small change of head position. Once you shoot it more with the scope on it, and make any changes needed in terms of position etc I think you will find it will all settle down again.

10. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    What mounts are you using?, if your using bkl's ditch em.

Clean barrel after every time you shoot it ( no matter how many shots you have put it through ).

11. john79

john79 JEDI

Why ditch the bkl's :confused:

12. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    They change poi every time you take them off and put them back on again, and when you do it often, it will fatigue the alloy ( because they are a crush to fit mount ) and then they will move at every shot.

13. Jon

Jon Member

Theyre too shallow a dovetail and not 60 degrees on a pair had here, meaning the only grab is at the edges.
    Theyre ok for shallow cut dovetails on the thinner side.

14. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

I'm using sportsmatch at the moment but I am thinking of changing to BKL, but looking at the posts above may well have to reconsider.

15. Jelly38

Jelly38 Member

Club:
    Buxted
    I've got two FTP's, both set up the same with Burris scopes with sportsmatch mounts. I only clean the barrel when my zero goes off, one needs cleaning more than the other. The first didn't need cleaning for months and was always spot on. The new one needs cleaning about once a month again when I loose zero.

Never used anything other than AA Diablo Fields 4.52.

16. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Hillier has made AA Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Never had a problem with Bkl on my Ev2 in last 5 years and I don't think Rusty 177 had any problem on his ftp with Bkl.
    personally I would not use sportsmatch again as they were the mounts I used to have problems with.

best advise Chris, to take you out of the problem, is to take a drive to Tondu one day and I and others will have a look at it for you. Least then if two or three others say its fine, it narrows the potentials down.

17. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    My zero never really crept off , it just started throwing the odd flier , you don't get two chances with a pellet in a comp !, hence cleaning every time .

18. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Thanks, I'll see what can be arranged in the near future.

19. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Just got a set of BKL's cheap from a member on another forum so thought I would give them a try especially as they go well with the silver Falcon. The only thing I have notice d so far is that on initial sighting in of the scope, the gun was shooting about two inches to the right which I thought was quite a lot. I guess I'll have more to say when I have used it for a few days.

20. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    If you haven't already ditched the 8 clamp and shrouds, consider it to completely free-float the barrel. A few people have found that filling causes the 8 clamp to move the barrel.
    It's a simple 5 mi ute job that is easily reversed if necessary.