Hard course

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Ratinator, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    With the Nefta lads all having their little gripes about 30 or 40 targets has got me thinking courses. If you put out a balanced course with some sub 30/40 yd targets and a mix of gimme kneeler/ standers and some at full range, does this make a course hard or easy?
    If a course is designed for someone to clear , then does this add to the difficulty for the AA shooters? If you know that you can not afford to miss if you want to win, surly that's a good test of a shooters all round ability to hit targets under pressure. If the course is nails hard with most targets over 40 yds then is this not just seeing who's luck holds out the longest. A lot of top end shooters will argue that skill knocks targets over but in my opinion luck plays its part.
    So what makes the perfect testing course, targets that can be missed if you have a lapse of concentration or loads of 40+ targets?
    Simon

2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Theres one thing missing out of the equation here and thats the wind. This can turn even an easy course into a nightmare be it 30 or 40 targets.:shot::(

3. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    All hard

Their all hard until you've knocked them over!

4. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    on a personal front, i would always favour a course with a good mix of targets. if a course is set with all targets in a specific range, you are only using a tiny percentage of the distances available. if a course setter decides to do that, you might as well do away with the sport and have a fixed distance sport. the ability to set a course with a range of distances gives me satsifacton, as part of the sport is range finding.

5. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Have to agree.

Making a course interesting for all levels of ability, now that's a trick.

James

6. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad BFTA 2010 European Champion & Pooch Plinking Plonk

Club:
    NELSON
    For me

For me angles make a course wether it within the same lane our shouting 40 targetes in a full circle kepping you thinking not just same wind at different ranges :lev

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Interesting.

My personal thoughts are that a hard course is one that keeps you on your toes with subtle and not so subtle changes of direction and wind that can catch you out.
    Ones that just are a constant raft of over 40yds targets are boring and can just switch off. Having the occasional gimmie keeps the interest for lower grades, I mean say out of 4 of each positionals 1 should be possible for all to hit.

I enjoy putting courses out, this year's Winter course I think was one of our best. Not cleared but wind and angle changes caught even the top grades out.

8. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    I'm not sure I agree Si, I mean if your left handed, short, ginger or Welsh you hardly likely to be running around with a rabbits foot dangling from your kneck are ya?:):):D:D:D:):):D

9. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Regional courses should be a balanced mix, with the intention of getting shooters of all grades knocking some targets down. The winner still has to hit more than anyone else so does add pressure when there's a load of shooters with similar ability.
    Nationals are expected to be harder, but within the rules and micky mouse target free. Doesn't always happen though.

10. Deleted member 4175

Deleted member 4175 Non member

i have to say for me i thought the GP's were a bit easier than the winter league shoots ive done :eek:

11. wagger 52

wagger 52 Member

Club:
    Redfearn
    Easy or hard

What defines an easy or hard course , is down to a good or bad course or a 30 40 or 50 shot course . Ho " I DONT NO " they all seem bloody hard to me :lev

12. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard My Backs Gone! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Know your land and balance your course

Our (gadgets) course last sunday, set for regional standard was constructed with:

10 -29y x 3 targets (all full 40mm)
    30 -39y x 3 (All 40mm)
    40 - 49y x 11
    50+y x 7

Reducer (25mm) @ 28/32/13/33/25/14/y
    15mm kill @ 14 & 10.5y

Standers @ 14/35/41/25 y
    Kneelers @ 42/43/41/25 y

It would have been a tougher test if Saturdays wind was up on sunday. I reckon on a windier day instead of 37, top would have been nearer to 33-35 which would have made it a tough shoot for C - A, normally I would hope to score would be around 37.

When or if you make it to the top Simon, you will realise "Luck" plays only a very small part, at best 1 target a course on average.
    On the day I did not come out of kill and two of my three misses were bad shooting due to rushing being last on, I should have come off with a 1.
    Lowest score was 19 so nearly a 50% hit rate which is what I think a C grade shooter should be attaining at regional level.

13. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I prefer a course set to trick shooters, angles, elevated, downhill mixed in. Set the longer target 1st to challenge and don't have two shots in a lane exactly in the same direction unless ones tight to the ground and the other much higher. Don't use whole yards especially with the mini kills 23.5yrds is a nice one to test you :).

Variety is the key I hate courses where everything is the same.

Bri

14. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Good course

10 -29y x 3 targets (all full 40mm)
    30 -39y x 3 (All 40mm)
    40 - 49y x 11
    50+y x 7

Reducer (25mm) @ 28/32/13/33/25/14/y
    15mm kill @ 14 & 10.5y

Standers @ 14/35/41/25 y
    Kneelers @ 42/43/41/25 y

It would have been a tougher test if Saturdays wind was up on sunday. I reckon on a windier day instead of 37, top would have been nearer to 33-35 which would have made it a tough shoot for C - A, normally I would hope to score would be around 37.

When or if you make it to the top Simon, you will realise "Luck" plays only a very small part, at best 1 target a course on average.
    On the day I did not come out of kill and two of my three misses were bad shooting due to rushing being last on, I should have come off with a 1.
    Lowest score was 19 so nearly a 50% hit rate which is what I think a C grade shooter should be attaining at regional level.[/QUOTE]

Looks to me that you have taught young Gadget well about building a course for all to enjoy.
    But if your Welsh wind got up that would be a tough course to master.
    I don't want to make it to the top, Its not what I want from the sport.:)
    I often think FT is a little like Golf ,we all manage to talk the game back to level Par in the clubhouse afterwards. Missing due to rushing is no excuse really ,you finished on 37 so that's your score not should of been 1.

15. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    In this case it was rushing that caused two of the misses though, bad shots.
    It looked like it was going to pee down and I just wanted to get it over.
    Shooting the Mfta taught me what a Good and bad shoot is, none more than shooting with Ozzy.

16. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Ozzmiester

In the Mfta the difference between a good shoot and a bad shoot is waiting for Ozzys score card to be handed in. :eek:o:eek:o

17. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    only since he switched back to ev2 !!

18. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Going from memory on this but the stats for our Winter Course were as follows and measurement at nearest yd
    Standers 15, 38, 31 and 35
    Kneelers 25, 42, 27 and 36 ( last two on same lane and higher than gate)
    Course average 38.5
    In total
    Up to 29 - 3
    30 to 39 - 13
    40 to 49 - 15
    Over 50 - 9
    The targets were nearly in a full circle with wind between nothing and a couple of inches outside edge of kill. Only 1 target near maximum but close to 54.

Woody got the top score and I think he dropped the 35 stander and a 40ish sitter.

19. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Think you need to ask Jon Harris what makes a good course. Non less than 55yds and all uphill I think he would say.
    Lets just say nobody clears courses he sets out. :D

Oh forgot to add wind, the more the better. :D

20. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    Oh forgot to add wind, the more the better. :D[/QUOTE]

Think you might just get your wish at the Greyhound today!:D