HFT Handicap

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by miketowler, Mar 15, 2019.

1. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    I’ve only been shooting since last August, but as a observation it would be so nice to help get and keep newcomers to the sport by having some sort of handicap system, much like golf, possibly calling it something like club class,

Dan Smith likes this.
  2. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

You have one, you score 1 for a plate and 2 for a knockdown. There is a class for vets, Juniors, springer and 22 class. Im sure someone will be along to verify rules etc soon.

3. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hello,

I’ve tried suggesting this a few times - the logic being if you have a handicap you can shoot a round with a better shooter but still have a degree of competition.

Sadly the reaction I got was firmly negative.

It seems the best shot must win - handicaps would mean poor shots would get trophies they don’t deserve.....

It seems a system that millions of golfers around the world are happy with couldn’t possibly work in HFT...

valboskie and Dennis like this.
  4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Hft masters have a two tier system which i think is the closest you will get

In terms of a handicap system, it would be too much admin for too few shooters.
    A single golf club can have more members than the entire hft world championship entries. The two arent comparable

Waldo and Ash Bailey like this.
  5. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    There you go mike.

6. Mr. C

Mr. C New Member

Club:
    Swallows Field Target Club
    What Dan said really.
    As a relative novice I'd much rather my score reflect my ability in the conditions rather than an artificially tweeked number to make me feel better.
    If I shoot really well I might get a gold. I truly would not want to win a comp on a handicap.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Waldo, MickyFinn, Tone and 3 others like this.
  7. Slip Stream

Slip Stream Experienced novice

Club:
    Nomads, Silver Fox Shooting Experience.
    An interesting question !
    Do handicaps work ?
    I can only relate to my personal experience with a handicap system, that as previously mentioned GOLF.
    In my younger days I was a very competitive golfer, travelling around the U.K/European circuit competing against like player's and also Scratch ( professionals ) player's,and no matter how much I practiced I was unable to beat any scratch players even using my handicap .
    It was not until I finally achieved the magical Scratch handicap myself that I began to win and out play other's of the same level.
    At Club level I have also heard on numerous occasions members state " why try harder, when I've got a 10 strock start on other players " THIS I believed causes a lack of drive and self development ?
    In HFT I have also found that though there are a few people who consistently finish in the top 20 of competitions no one dominates the sport, and also on occasions a complete outsider pop's up and wins.
    The Greatest incentive for me is not to beat the next person , but to walk off the course with a smile on my face coupled with the memory of a good time in the company of like minded people.
    I sincerely hope that the future of HFT, FT ,BENCHREST and all the other shooting disciplines keep going down the "FUN AND FRIENDSHIP" in composition road , not the win at all costs !
    This may sound like the ranting of a very old, disillusioned losser. You may be right ?
    But at least I have a laugh and leave the competition with a smile and the desire to comeback and lose again next week:p

8. Mr. C

Mr. C New Member

Club:
    Swallows Field Target Club
    There's alot of banter about on an HFT course and it's all good fun, well mostly. I'm fairly sure handicaps could stir up some unhelpful comments.
    I have a pb to beat every time I go out. I will probably plateau but hope I'm not there yet.

9. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    We have looked at this in the past but the thing is with a National series as people said to keep an eye on club stats to form a handicap system could be a nightmare and can always be open to abuse.
    This is why the badge system was brought in, so everyone has a chance to get something and don’t forget all prizes are rafflesd, not if they went to the winners be a different thing.

Pete

subaru swift, Waldo, Bensile and 4 others like this.
  10. chucky82

chucky82 Member

Handicap systems work at many sports and hobbies but as hft is nearly 100% volunteers giving up time every weekend and sure the nationals and worlds are much more preparation than that. Administration of handicaps system which could be totally abused and neglected in many ways as hard to keep track of all clubs and shooter's individual records . Besides I feel hft has more relaxed attitude and rock on Sunday morning to a bit of banter and only thing I do is try to improve my own score each week regardless of what others score I wanna beat my own pb not with people saying he has only beat me beacuse he has +4 only thing will get me +4 more is practice. So enjoy.

11. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I shoot a .22 springer in HFT, and if there was a handicap system it would take away the pleasure I sometimes have when I beat some of the open shooters.

Bensile likes this.
  12. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

The badge system in nationals is excellent. New shooters may not be able to challenge for overall trophies, but can definitely aim for the badges.

Maybe there could be a small trophy at the end of the year for most improved, or highest scoring newcomer (shooting their first year of nationals). But to be honest i think the badge system still does this quite well

13. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Sorry to be blunt, most unlike me...

But if you don't like the rules, don't take part! Not a dig at anyone, but it's the only reason I never took up professional croquet!

:(

Wheelieneilie likes this.
  14. dlloyduk

dlloyduk Over Gunned Amateur.

Club:
    NM
    I like the rules the way are, no point in winning with a handicap it's a hollow victory and merely drags the top shooters down.
    I much prefer to beat my own scores and enjoy the shooting, or practice more with better kit and end up gradually worse scores...still enjoying it though

Bensile likes this.
  15. Pidlar

Pidlar Active Member

As the scoring system is essentially based on either a hit or miss scenario then I can’t see a handicap system working.
    I’ve been lucky enough to shoot along side some very talented shots on national events and club days, if a handicap system meant me scoring the same in competition when I haven’t earned it, it wouldn’t feel right.
    Unfortunately beginners are just that. Experience and practice over time lead to higher scores. In my own experience I didn’t consider entering any of the bigger events until I could at least be confident of reaching the high forties.

16. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    For me ,Its not about winning,( good job really ! I shoot a springer in field target), I like the challenge , its about improving on your previous performance , which at times can be frustrating , but its good to shoot alongside people who are far better than yourself so you can learn and see what can be achieved . This is a hobby and as such should be enjoyed.

Waldo, MickyFinn and Bensile like this.
  17. stu

stu New Member

I can picture someone clearing a course(not me) but someone else coming first with a 62 after missing 3 target's because they had a 5 point handicap.

18. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

A handicap system wouldnt work fairly.
    Theres plenty of guys and girls that like myself dont get to shoot half as often as we would like, but shooting bi annually can still put in mid 50s.
    Give us a handicap and it would be unfair to the shooters that are consistently in the late 50s.

It's also open to cheating.
    if i had the time, I could shoot every day on a full course. Keep off the nationals and qualifying shoots to gain max handicap...

Not my style mind

Certainly on the bigger comps, the worlds for instance, there is always shooters that put in exceptional performances, that would generally be in the low 50s and top shooters that struggle with a bit of pressure /stress or booze and put in lower than expected.

It's almost anyones for the taking.
    It's almost more the shooter that can deal with the stress/weather lack of sleep over the weekend that does best.not so much the shooting itself.

Bensile and Pidlar like this.
  19. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    You'll get there Stu.

Pidlar likes this.
  20. Broc968

Broc968 Active Member

Club:
    anston shooting club
    Handicap system's do not work used to shoot benchrest they did handicap for shooters they used to shoot rubbish just to get a handicap then shoot spot on when came to serious comps,May be opening a can of worms what about graded system like ft