Handicap System in FT/HFT

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by luger, Jan 18, 2011.

1. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    After a long layoff of more than 6 months without shooting due to range problems and basically nowhere to shoot here in Malta, we have finally found an alternative range were to practice FT/HFT and also starting to organize some events to get everything started once again.

What I wanted to ask is how does this handicap system work in FT/HFT events in the UK. We would like to implement this system to give others a chance of fighting for top places and to encourage new shooters not to give up in entering such competitions.

A clear explenation or maybe a thread regarding the matter which I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kris

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    The grading system is supposed to sort shooters out into clases so they compete against other shooter of simular ability.
    Its not perfect granted.
    do you not use grades in malta?

3. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Nope no gradings here in Malta. Way too few shooters to put a grading system.

I thought in the UK the handicap system was used to give a chance to the lesser abled shooters and beginners the chance to fight for top positions. I still think it's a good idea though since we are only about 15-20 shooters at each FT event and 10-15 shooter for HFT events.

I just need to know how it works in the UK so that we can maybe adapt the system to our own shoots.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I know Hft is different to Ft here int heUk in the way results are done.

however, if you go to the Bfta website under the gradings link there is a FAQ section, hopefully you will find some answers there?
    http://www.bfta.net/jsite3/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=88

5. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Cheers mate :)

6. JTK

JTK New Member

Luger, a handicap system is not a bad idea! maybe attache the handicap to the grade. ie add a %points for each 5% in grade ranking. So if someone is a C class shooter with an average of say 66% for his last shoot get him up to say 90%. That will keep the 90+% guys on their toes. Maybe work the grading out on the last two shoots average.

7. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    JT,

Something similar is what I had in mind but we have no gradings here but we are on the same frequency :D

8. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

MAD HFT club

Both our WINTER AND SUMMER LEAGUES are run with a handicap system in force.
    Winter L. run though-out the dark nights ,shot with torches and very enjoyable fun for all ,MAX handicap is 5 while shooting 20 shot course,we set handicaps at the beginning of the series from zero to 5 depending on abilityif some-one comes to shoot for the first time we set therirs on the night ,we all put a £1.00 in the kitty and winner takes all ,you cant score more than 40 and whoever does they get in the shoot-off and get dropped 2 handicap points for next week ,it works and its done to get more people involved .

Summer league shot over 20 WEDNESDAY evenings from May to Sept.
    30 targets ,Max handicap is 10 ,same max score is 60 any0ne over shoot-off and deduction in handicap for next week ,people can shoot from 4-30 till dark .
    Again it works we sometime have 30plus shooters shooting though the week .
    If they wer;nt handicaps you would have no-where here that number.
    I also must add that we run a scratch league in conjunction with the handicap league at MAD because the clubs make-up means that the best shooter will and should always win .
    If you want any more questions ans and I can be of any-more help please give me a call,check our web-site .
    I;m the hanicap sec and its nice to listern to them good shooter crying like a baby when the handicaps come out at the start ,because as we all know

HANDICAPS CAN NEVER GO UP ONLY COME DOWN
    cheers please give it a try the folks will love it
    Ian from MAD

9. JTK

JTK New Member

Ithink you should just use the averages of the last 2 or 3 shoots to do the handicap. no need for the grading. That way if a guy has a great shoot his handicap gets lowered as his average goes up

10. rich

rich Active Member

In SWEFTA we run an annual league FT series and an annual league HFT series.

The FT shoots are graded, whereas the HFT shoots are not.

To determine the winning club at the end of the season, in FT we just take the best three scores for each club at every shoot and add them up. The HFT works slightly differently and is a kind of handicap system. As we have only one HFT champion club, and some folk shoot PCPs and others shoot spring guns, we needed a way of merging their scores together that recognised the slight disadvantage for the spring gun shooters. So what we have done is to add one point to a spring gun score for every ten targets on the course.

Example; a 30 shot course, someone shoots say 54 ex 60 with a PCP. Another person shoots a 52 with a spring gun. 30 targets means 3 bonus points so the spring gun shooter gets 3 added to his or her 52, making 55, and beats the 54 with a PCP.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    In CSFTA the teams run a handicap...

you get 1 bonus point for top score (which can be awarded to all shooters who obtain it)

you get an additional point for the team if you're in A, two in B, three in C, meaning the teams aren't all made up of AA's... which is nice.

12. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Thanks a lot for all the positive replies :)

I will try to devise some sort of handicap system suitable for our FT/HFT shooting and am sure it will be positvely accepted. :)

Cheers
    Kris