Hammerli

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Paul26, May 13, 2018.

1. Paul26

Paul26 New Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    what are your opinion on the hemmerli
    ar 20 in 177 std stock and grips is it as good as the
    write ups say

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Accuracy is not an issue, sub 1/2" groups are easy at 50 yards and the trigger is fine, it can be adjusted to however you like it. Its biggest problem is its lack of easy power adjustment. The hammer spring can only be adjusted by dismantling the gun and shimming it and to get to the transfer port restrictor screw the entire forend has to be removed. There is also a potential problem with POI shift if the forend moves as the barrel is held tight inside it so a common mod is to machine/cut off the barrel shroud so it free floats, problem solved.

3. Emma

Emma Member

Club:
    Millride & Purley Chase
    it's really heavy and needs strong hands to load o_O

dave croucher likes this.
  4. Emma

Emma Member

Club:
    Millride & Purley Chase
    Darren's sold his Hammerli AR20FT a little while ago - as he loves his Pulsar so much he only brought Hammerli off the wall when we had guests, plinking in the garden.
    I think it was used about 3 times since he serviced it himself... (real waste).
    He agrees with the comments by SteveC200.
    Hammerli AR20FT self service

5. peejay

peejay New Member

Club:
    Midshires Marksmen, Sandy, Beds
    Yes the AR20 is a heavy gun. the possible POI shift problem can be fixed by machining the shroud, or by mounting any hamster close to the action where it is solid and DO NOT rest , hold or mount a bipod on the shroud. The double Reg is reliable and shouldn't need stripping regularly. The thread cutting screws holding the action and the shroud together should be replaced with proper machine screws after the threads have been tapped correctly and as deep as possible, otherwise, every time you strip the gun, you will cut cut a new thread and eventually strip the material...... otherwise its a really nice gun.

6. TenMetrePeter

TenMetrePeter Paper punching member

Club:
    Harpenden Air Weapons Club
    Under 4Kg seems about normal for a gun based on a 10m model .Theres a lot of "match grade" gun for under £900.
    Looking at the problems with Steyr FTs on here makes you wonder if they are worth 2 or 3 times the price of AR20 and MPR?

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

It's the wassaname of diminishing returns Mr Ten metre .

Innit

8. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

a while back,they could be picked up for next to nothing. I bought one with the scope they did as a kit. flogged that and ended up with an action for under 300quid.

it was incredibly accurate, the trigger was good, and the reg was perfectly good too.

I added a set of Walther Laminate wood , and added a larger cocking handle and it was a great cheap gun.

it's still being used in anger too, from what I heard.

9. Tricky13

Tricky13 Member

Just put mine up for sale, because I got boerd as useual, so after getting it spot on and keep buying new guns it has to go, , fantastic gun for the money, its my most accurate gun and will put pellet on pellet at 50yds, mine also has a spare 6ftlb reg for indoor target shooting, my shroud is milled off to stop any POI shift I have wood grips, and alloy spacers along with a dedicated quick fill and gauge that means you no longer have to remove the cylinder to fill.

I also added an ambidextrous cocking exstension which makes it much easier to cock, and to adjust power all you need to do is remove the cylinder shroud (four screws) and you can acsess the port adjuster, and yes they are a little heavy, but not that bad, they are also mostly Walther the barrel is stainless and spot on, no complaints on the hammer assembly never heard any bounce and the consutancy bares this out, I have never seen more than 7fps spred and mostly 3-5fps...think I have just sold it back to myself, may take it down the range this afternoon.:)