Hammerli AR20FT strip

Discussion in 'Walther' started by poison dwarf, Oct 31, 2010.

1. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Stripped down the AR20 last night and removed machining/moulding ridges from cocking lever with fine scotchbrite. Applied grease to lever bearing surfaces and viola, smooth as silk cocking now :)

Stripping is very easy and internals are pretty basic, no fiddly bits on reassembly. I would recommend removing the "rough edges" ( there are a few :) ) under the bonnet so to speak as it improves the gun no end.

2. PaulS

PaulS New Member

Is the putting back together that puts me off these things. Did you have to remove scope mounts?

3. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Yes mounts have to come off. I thought it may prove difficult to put back together so i took pics as i wen along. They really weren't necessary as its so simple inside. nothing pings out etc when u lift the cover :)

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    good to know... that's one common criticism nailed then.

5. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Heres a pic of it stripped, most working parts are visible and removed ( not reg bits ). not a lot to it is there :)
    apologies for the crappy pic it was done just for reference for me for re-assembly
    http://img824.imageshack.us/i/ar20stri008.jpg/
    [​IMG]

6. Numb Nut

Numb Nut New Member

The casting used for the breech block looks a bit ... dare I say it ... cheap and nasty. Obviously it's a reduced cost rifle and the construction reflects the price but when I first saw the picture it reminded me of a daisy pump up rifle that I took apart ages ago and it had a moulded plastic receiver! :eek:

7. PaulS

PaulS New Member

How did you get the Alu surround so shiny? polished or coated or what. That matt finish is a pain to clean.

8. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    I was at Purley with it but it wasn't shiny then. When i got back and tried to clean off the mud it was a nightmare to clean. I decided then to get rid of the matt finish.

How it was done?
    1. Emery + elbow grease
    2. Fine scotchbrite + elbow grease
    3. Autosol + elbow grease

@ numb nut
    Yes cheap and nasty sums it up well. But its damned consistent and accurate to boot :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  9. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    How do these come apart, the two screws either side just in front of the breech block?

10. stormraider77

stormraider77 New Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Nice one, looking good too, mine may end up with the black treatment along with wood and a decent butt hook, where you get the wood from?

Had a waggly cylinder and wanted to make sure the reg was nipped up tight. Reg is good, looks like the cylinder waggles a little on the spiggot.

12. rick

rick Member

Must be normal with Walthers one of Redfearns members has just paid about £1500 for one and it is really rough on the inside. Not what you would expect from something of that quality and cost.

13. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

That's strange Rick, I've never seen an LG300 block that wasn't perfectly CNC'd the same as all the rest
    :confused:

14. Dave Godwin

Dave Godwin New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Thanks for the info, just done my son's gun.
    It feels totally different now, we are looking forward to trying out in anger tomorrow.
    We free floated the barrel as well, so hopefully it will be a different gun, it certainly cocks a lot better.:D

Dave