hammerli AR 20FT????

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Fat Pep, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Fat Pep

Fat Pep New Member

Hi im looking through the various forums and im seeing quite a number of AR20s for sale ...Why whats up with them ? Are they any use for HFT...Thanks Pete

2. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I use one and I can't find fault with it. It's a capable rifle in the right hands and whilst I am very new to HFT (3 months) I have achieved a few 52/60. It's a heavyweight for sure but for value I don't know of much that can touch it. Some say the cocking action is stiff; it's more to do with technique rather than anything else. I really like it and I am looking forward to getting the most out of it as it is.

3. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Parts can be hard to get hold of.

4. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

i really like mine, it has flaws but for the pittance they go for secondhand they are seriously worth considering.what else can you get with proper regged consistancy and full adjustability for about 300or mabee less.

mine suffers massive zero shift but iam.mid sorting that out. but when its on song its damm accurate! weight wise it pretty heavy but its not a problem really. im only small and dont struggle!

5. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Curious about the zero shift, nothing moves my poi from month to month. I stripped it down to component level and there isn't a single piece that isn't easily fabricated by a half decent gunsmith apart from the action body. I could do with a lighter cylinder but I'm toying with having a quickfill fitted to the standard one.

6. cozypom

cozypom New Member

Club:
    North Devon Airgunners
    hi does your ar suffer zero shift when its in a bench rest ?

7. tillygti6

if its laid on a flat surface along the entire length of the shroud/body then no shift. but if shooting prone at full stretch the barrel is pushed upwards about 2mm.
    the top of the shroud has now been milled off completely and its marginally better but it actually needs more taking off. opening up the top of the body and a full length spacer between cylinder and inside/bottom of the body. then il be happy!
    ive made up new woodwork to replace te plastic. but being a modular design its easily done. but its capable of 5mm groups at 30yards indoors

8. cozypom

cozypom New Member

Club:
    North Devon Airgunners
    ar20

i was gonna advise but it sounds like u are sorted :)

9. Fat Pep

Fat Pep New Member

Ar20

Thanks for all your replies ...dont think i will have a go with one,sounds like they are a bit of a A*$* on and i'm not very technically minded .... just like to point and shoot/miss :eek:

10. tom simkins

tom simkins New Member

pity as i have one for pick up only and i know it will be a good price,,,

11. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Nothing technical, draw the bolt back, put a pellet in and fire.

12. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hammerli ar20

I've had a Hammerli for just short of a year and touch wood it's been spot on !

It has it's faults " stiff cocking and heavy " but it shoots straight and that's what counts.

I've done a lot of work on mine "check out my album"

First thing I did was change the plastic for wood !!

Then I fitted a Butt hook.

After that I too a hacksaw to the Ally shroud !!! and bit by bit cut it away .

It now is only 4 in long and the barrel part has all gone which means the barrel is " free floating "

The last thing I did was to fit an ally walther air cylinder "30 % lighter than the original "

I'll up date my pictures so you can see how it looks today

All in alll for the money you can't go wrong !!!

Steve

13. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hammerli make over

Hi this is how my Hammerli looks !!

Attached Files:

14. buggsson

buggsson New Member

I like the look of it a lot, have you done it yourself?

15. tom simkins

tom simkins New Member

takeing the cover off has not taken the zero away?? wonder why they put it there in the first place,, i had a begger of a job on my first one after just takeing it off and forgetting to put the rubber ring back on :(..

16. tillygti6

the shroud i there i gues for fitting a diopter front sight job; the barrel oring actially pushes the barrel upwards from its free floating position so once removed ot touches the inner bottom edge of the shroud.
    ive shot mine a number of times now with the shroud off completely and its performance is incredible fpr what they cost secondhand. id not have paid mew prices for one but im very pleased with it s/hand . the biggest thing i suppose is if your accurate enough to notice the poi shift.....

instead of cutting the shroud right back as il be hfting and even hunting with mine will be a suport inside the shroud between it and the cylinder. and also a full length hamster similar to the walther hunter?? ones but probly milled ally.

17. tom simkins

tom simkins New Member

the one i have now i am well plzed with,, right from the box no tweets needed,, when i go to the range the moans from my mates are brill,, mind you it gets iffy after 5 mins of hitting the same spot (off a stand)
    so i go back to my springer :D allso a hammi

18. milek

milek Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Almost exctly as with mine but my springer is a lightning.

19. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hammerli ar20

Hi about 95%
    The carbon fiber finish on the ally shroud was done by " hydro graphics " but all the rest was mine.

Glad you all like it !!!!

Steve

20. buggsson

buggsson New Member

Do you have any pics on your mods so that I can get a visial of what you have done? I've seen a rather long thread at a South African forum where the SA importer kind of warned against tampering with the shroud as it is a part of the frame if I understood it correctly. But I do have heard of others that also have done some carving to get the barrel free floating. I am just worried that I might be too unskilled to notice POI shifts and other anomalities by myself.

In general, would you say it is an easy air rifle to mess with, even for a newbie?

What do I have to do to have my dovetail mounts fit?