H5A wont re-cock anymore

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Hubertus, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Hubertus

Hubertus New Member

Hey,

i tried a smaller spring in the trigger to reduce the trigger weight but i could not feel much difference (it shoots fine with it)
    did put back in the original steyr spring, which did fine for many shots but now it wont re-cock. i can do it manually.

all adjustments on the trigger are fully turned out and the small spring for that L-shaped lever is in and it got tension. the sear underneath got tension too and it can move.

as far as i know needs the bigger sear in the action a bit tension to be able to catch the smaller sear in the trigger. i tried various settings with 1/4 turns in and out - no chance.
    i can adjust it in untill it stays cocked without the trigger unit in.

any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. Hubertus

Hubertus New Member

i found the solution.
    because im limited to 5,5fpe and in the past ALL my pcp guns were really bad down tuned from the factory: rotex rm8, gsg m11 (SPA M11), BSA R-10SE
    all using overpowered hammer springs with a tiny transfer port to down tune. the r10 was by far the worst! poor shotcount, really loud action because it needed max. preload on hammerspring for 5fpe (original 12fpe uk hammerspring)

so i was really curious how steyr would down tune but they are using the same hammerspring for all versions :(
    only different transfer ports :(

i tried a few different weaker and shorter springs and ended up with that silver one in the picture (not exactly this one) without a transfer port (choke) installed and im in the 5,5fpe limit - efficiency went up and not much preloaded was needed.
    it worked for 10-15 tins really well until yesterday but i think it was just a coincidence. i had to increase the preload 1/8 turn clockwise - the striker did not bounced back enough. could not be "catched" from the sears.
    i think that the hammerspring just settled down.

so i could imagine that even the 12fpe version can be more efficient with a matching hammerspring and no transfer port / choke installed.

Attached Files:

cloverleaf likes this.