H&n sniper medium

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RAIDER, Aug 28, 2015.

1. RAIDER

RAIDER Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    had a go wth the above in my Steyr this morning and very surprised at the results. Straight from the tin the stayed at 55 yards with 8 mph wind bang on. My exact 8.44 were a good 10mm off. They also because of weight 8.5 against 8.4 exacts were two clicks lower. But the wind just did not effect them. They also do a sniper light 7.5.
    Jeremy

2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Ahhh, you're the latest to find them Jeremy.

I submitted a brief write up to my editor yesterday.

Let's see what they do on Sunday.

3. Kevin49

Kevin49 New Member

I have a couple of tins of the 177 sniper light but my ebay scales weight them at 7.9 grains and my pelletgage shows the head size to be 4.56. I have not had chance to test them at the club range yet due to rain but hope to get out this sunday to test them in PCP and springer. Hope to get a tin of the medium next week.

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Was this 8mph wind, head on, from behind or sideways?

5. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Hss your steyr got a BSA echf barrel? :rolleyes:

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

I tried some of these a while ago - in conclusion on paper they're an excellent pellet - the nice hemispherical head gives very good drag characteristics (amongst the lowest I've tested) and an excellent BC (I measured around 0.026 compared to around 0.021 typically for 8.44gn JSBs).

Unfortunately, while accuracy was acceptable through the guns in which I tested them, they were still outshone by a number of JSB variants in this respect. Unfortunately it appears that the excellent design of the Snipers (bloody stupid name IMO) is perhaps somewhat let down by their quality of manufacture..

I can't help but think that with the current dissatisfaction with JSB pellets H&N could really stage a coup if they could get their act together with these pellets!

7. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Dissatisfaction

Hello,

I think that JSB are as good as they ever were at the moment. The people who say they are not are just selecting the wrong machine number pressing them out. The supply chain that they have gone may also be rough.

Cheers

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I'm puzzled by your comment about quality. I have two tins from the same batch (which I suspect all sniper medium's in the UK are from) that I have been testing, and the quality is excellent, both visually and over the chrono. This is matched by down range accuracy and consistency.

You're right though, it is a bit of a dodgy name.

9. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

When these were made by Pax and called Defiant HFT's before H+N bought them out there where a lot of pellets with split skirts, is this still the case now H+N manufacture them?
    I sorted the good ones from the split ones in a box of HFT's I had and the good ones shot the same aim points as my JSB 8.4's. I couldn't see a benefit to warrant changing though.

10. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I haven't found any split skirts so far, and to be honest, I don't expect to.

I have found one batch of JSB's that group as well as the H&N's, and possibly take just a bit more wind. None of the other batches I tried came close.

But, I know people who have tried them and found no benefit over their existing pellets, so, like all pellets, it very much depends on the rifle / barrel.

[​IMG]

11. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I can see a split skirt in that picture, look a 1/4" in from the 7 oclock position! and possibly another at 12 oclock? the focus is not quite good enough to be sure though.

In the box I had nearly half were split, these look better but will still need to be sorted as a flier can ruin your year in competition.

I will give these a miss then as that in my mind is not acceptable.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    WOW! Sharp eyes Tench.

I have just looked at the original photo and there are two V shaped splits in two pellets.

Right, I'm off to sort through my pellets before tomorrows competition. :eek:

EDIT: 2 x dented and 17 x split skirts, mostly a tiny little vertical split about 1mm wide and 2 mm deep, through to one with quite a noticeable V in the skirt.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  13. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Pellets sifting an 8mph wind at 55yrd must have a phenomenal BC or they are that good they defy physics, (side on wind).

I'll stick with my JSB slugs.

14. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Shot a SWEFTA comp with them today and shot my highest score since my return to competition shooting, so, that'll do for me.

15. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    And it was

So how high was your highest so far?

16. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I shot a competition today.

What I did notice about the conditions today was that it was the stillest day I have shot in all year!

Regards

17. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Not very high, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.

18. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Improvement

You are promoting a new pellet on the market so was wondering how good they were.
    How many did you improve by if you don't want to divulge your score?
    Simon

19. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I'm not promoting anything, I'm just saying what I have found with these pellets, and how they have performed for me, but the improvement over my last outing was 13 and would have been more but for fundamental errors that I should not have made and would not have made when I was previously on top of my game.

20. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Well done

That's quite an improvement on you previous best, let's hope your scores don't climb too rapidly.lol