H&N Sniper Medium pelletts

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Pecky, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    Sourced a tin of .177 Sniper Medium pelletts from Country Field Sports on the Internet.
    Arrived early this morning 0.55G 8.5 grains.
    Single hole groups at 30 yards from a bench rest in a wind free environment through the Pulsar.
    The 97k V-Mach special was doing 15 mm groups at best.
    Very impressed by these and as soon as you open the tin they just look quality.
    Bye Bye accupells .

2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    There's another thread on these somewhere.

I have been testing and using them for a few weeks now and they seem to suit my Walther LG300 very well.

One thing to watch, and I have been in touch with H&N about this, is that the skirts can get dented / damaged in transit. I sort through all mine before use and the bent ones are used for plinking.

I now have a decent stock and will be using them for the foreseeable future.

3. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I've been trying these and they have been ok ,group about the same as jsb's ,seemed to take slightly less wind but hard to tell, but they do not fly quite as flat ,I had to go down quite afew clicks on my 25yd zero and also had an affect on my sub 20yd aimpoints.
    Also, Has anyone else weighed these? I put these on the scales and nearly all were coming up as 8.7's so this needs to be considered when setting up the power.

4. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    Not yet tried them in the field under windy conditions.
    Found the odd deformed skirt but only 3 out of around 150 so far.
    The Daystate loves them and they fit snugly into the 10 shot rotary magazine and index perfectly.
    Only needed 2 clicks adjustment to get very good consistent single hole groups.
    The Wierauch being a springer takes a firm push with the end of my little finger to get them to sit correctly.
    Still pleased with the groups and i think they actually fly a lot flatter than the Accupells i previously used.
    25 to 40 yards takes very little trajectory curve.
    Will try them at Furnace Mill this Sunday.

5. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Tugg,

I know from reading the results that you always shoot well so can I ask you, if you actually fine tune the power of your gun to the pellet your using?

Reading above would seem that you do, I haven't quiet got my head around washing, lubricating, weighing and sizing pellets yet ! So this adds yet another dimension. :eek:o

6. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    yes will always fine tune the speed as different pellets or even different batches will give different results.
    I don't get carried away with washing and lubing though I'm not saying you shouldn't . Sometimes I weight just enough pellets for a comp.

7. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Thanks tugg, I will hopefully find more time in 2016 to do that sort of testing or setting up.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Tugg

What's the MV and ME of these compared to JSB Exacts in your rifle please?

I'm wondering, if similarly to the boxed Prems, the tightness of these in the barrel loses some power and that's why they don't fly so flat.

9. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I adjusted the power to shoot them at 785fps the same as my jsb's , but after weighting them I realized that they are a bit heavier than stated.I've tried them in a tm1000 a lg300 and ftp 900 and the trajectory between 25 and 45yds had slightly more drop with the h&n's about 7mm I would say .
    I still need to try these out in the wind properly so not ruling them out just yet.

10. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Ok cheers Tugg

So that extra bit of weight ( 8.7gr weighed Vs 8.4gr Exacts ) isn't compensated for by the claimed better BC, in the rifles that you have tried them in.

Good luck with the testing in wind.

11. rich

rich Active Member

They are very very loose in the club's Ultra; mind you, it is 22 calibre. :eek:o

12. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    They were 4.52 through a club mates pellet gauge. Using the same gauge we found the Sniper Lights would not pass through the largest 4.58 hole, which explained why he was getting a sore thumb trying to feed them into his spring guns.

I have tested the Mediums against JSB's and they are now my chosen pellet through my Walther LG300. But like any pellet these days they really need to suit your rifle to get the best out of them and a friends EV was chucking them all over the place the other day and punching tiny groups at 55 yards with JSB's.

13. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Didn't use to wash and lube but latelyI've weighed Air Arms pellets to get a uniform batch size to shoot,I've found that they vary at 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 and a scattering of 20 or so up tp 8.9;mainly keep to 8.4's.
    HERX77 .

14. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Mainly test at 55 yds for groupings,best pellets are RWS Superfields 4 years old, nice tight groups at 55yds.However there is a limited suppy of them so they are restricted to the GC2. So far the FTP900 and springers use AA 8.4 diabolo field until something better comes up!
    HERX77 .

15. richierich

richierich New Member

Has anyone tried these through an HW100?