Hämmerli ar20 ft

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by PeteM, Aug 29, 2011.

1. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Does anyone have one of these (HÄMMERLI AR20 FT)

if so,
    What is it like to use?
    What is the cocking mechanism like to use?
    What is it like to load?
    How many consistent shots does it deliver?
    What groups at 55yards can be achieved with it?
    Photos of groups would be helpful.

Any other pertinent information would be much appreciated, Thanks.

2. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi Pete,
    I've had one since the second batch came into the contry,the first batch were sold out as soon sa they hit the shops !!!
    To answer you.

It's a bit nose heavy, some people with them are changing the air cylinder to an ally walther !!

Cocking is a bit stiff.I find you need the butt on your shoulder or upper arm to pull against. Some user's have stripped the action and polished the tee shaped bolt but I haven't bothered.

Very easy to roll the pellet in and slid it back onto the end of the bolt. I'm as blind as a bat without reading glasses on but can do it without even looking !!

Most weekends shooting HFT rounds I only go back to the car to fill up because all my mates HAVE TO.

On a good day from the bench hitting 10mm spinners is borring !!!

And as to photos of groups, you need to get out more !!! I'd rather be out on the course than taking photos !!!!

To finish, a GREAT gun for the money and as the secound hand price is about £450 you can't go wrong !!

Steve

PS check out my pictures to see the changes I've done to mine !!

3. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Thanks for reply

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply, some further questions on your comments below.

On a good day from the bench hitting 10mm spinners is borring !!!

What distance are your 10mm spinners? I'm assuming 45 yards if you shoot HFT.
    A gun can be really good out to 45 yards but any longer it doesn't perform that well.
    I shoot FT so need performance out to 55 yards.

And as to photos of groups, you need to get out more !!! I'd rather be out on the course than taking photos !!!!

I only want one photo of a 55 yard group, people are always saying how good a gun is, but never back it up with real world data.

I get out every day to practice.
    I've been having problems with my present gun and am looking for something else.
    Haven't been able to shoot one only hold it in a shop which doesn't help much.

PS check out my pictures to see the changes I've done to mine !!
    Where are the photos of your gun?

4. Dave Godwin

Dave Godwin New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Hi Pete, to view pics, click on Steves name, top left hand corner of his post.
    Then view public profile, then click on the album "Stocks" on right hand side of the page.

ATB

Dave

5. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Pete,

I have been sent a AR20 for review. I will take it onto the range tomoroww for a 55 yard test.

I will post the results tomorrow night.

all the best

Gary

6. PeteM

PeteM New Member

thanks

Thanks Gary,
    Will you chrono it for a 50 shot string as well?
    It would be interesting to see the results.

I wish manufacturers would supply this sort of data about their products.
    I would make it much easier to make an informed purchase.
    Usually it's a load of waffle not backed up with any real downrange data, which is what I & I presume others want to know.

For myself I don't care what it looks like per se, but I do care about what the performance & consistency is, because in competition that is what matters.

anyway got that off my chest :D :eek:

7. rich

rich Active Member

Jimmer had one but I think he sold it or at least it was up for sale.

I put a few shots through it at East Devon. Nose heavy, cocking action was stiff, and I found the trigger pull was way too heavy for my liking. I assumed that the trigger would adjust but I recall reading somewhere that there was limited room to improve it.

For the money I would have gone for a Pro-Target again.

8. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    From my limited trial of one I would agree 100%.

9. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

I will if I have time, but it will be with unweighed pellets so the variance will be fairly large.

Gary

10. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Trigger is adjustable and although may not be to a Walther LG300 or Steyr LG110 standard is still very useable and all this for 40-50% of the price.

11. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    The Hämmerli is a fantastic rifle for the money, and noticeably more accurate than a rifle costing twice as much.*

It isn't as refined as a Steyr, by any stretch of the imagination. When you open one up and have a look inside, it's very rudimentary. No super-tight tolerances or ball bearings. But it has it where it counts - down range.

There are few things you can do to improve them, out the box.

First of all, ditch the trigger blade and fit something like a TEC-HRO Touch Point. I've also found that a single-stage trigger works particularly well. This absolutely transforms the rifle.

Secondly, open up the action and cover everything but the hammer and its spring in Teflon grease (or similar). I was very frugal on the trigger components, and generous on the cocking components. Again, make sure you don't get any on the hammer or its spring, as this will affect shot-to-shot performance. You should notice immediately that the rifle is a lot slicker to cock. It's never going to be as good as the Steyr, because as it has already been pointed out, you are pulling back directly on the hammer spring. But it does get to the point where you no longer notice it.

Whilst you're in there, you might want to replace the hex nut that the stock secures to, with a shake-proof version that has the nylon lock ring (you can get them readily from B&Q). This will result in a securer stock fitting.

It is a heavy rifle, but I have found that this greatly helps accuracy and felt recoil.

I've never personally been able to achieve groups as tight as this with any other rifle – and so for this reason alone, I'm going to concentrate on shooting the Hämmerli for the foreseeable future. I suspect it has more to do with the fit and the weight than anything else.

*any of the 9 Steyrs I have owned.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011