guns though the post ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by TheWhiteDragon, Aug 11, 2013.

1. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

hi guys,

i need to send my rifle back for some repairs, i just wanted to check how i can do that..

i know a while back Royal mail tried to stop airguns being sent though the royal mail, as far as i was aware that was dropped due to the support from BASC etc.

though looking on the royal mail website it lists air rifles as being restricted, is there anything i should do to protect it ?

i was planning on sending it recorded & in my solid case (wrapped up), but i cant lock it otherwise they cant get it out the other end.. the other thing i was thinking was to secure it with cable ties to at least reduce the chances of it being opened, or at least show if it had been..

Royal Mail link:- http://www.royalmail.com/business/help-and-support/tell-me-about-restricted-goods

2. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    just read the link and you must have misread something, because it says you can send through them with a minimum of first class postage, of course only a fool would send it that way, make sure you insure it and have it signed for and pack it well ;)

3. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Club:
    SCOTIA FTC
    posting rifles

Only problem you might have is all first class and special delivery goes by air which means they have to go through an airport scanner which means they will call the police to verify its not a real gun. Try parcelforce they send most of their parcels by road.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Club:
    SCOTIA FTC
    posting

Never use recorded delivery it's crap special delivery is insured but I don't know if it's limited to specific amount hope this helps

5. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

lol na i read that bit, i just wanted to check if there's anything else i should do ?

ie do i or do i not notify the post office what it is, package it in a specific way etc.
    should i remove the air cylinder and package it separately etc..

6. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    Royal mail wont send anything over 600mm big by special delivery which is what you need

use parcelforce express

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Club:
    SCOTIA FTC
    That only applies to the general public you should see the size some of the stuff that Amazon sends through it's comical

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Club:
    SCOTIA FTC
    Iv worked for ROYAL MAIL for 27 years and the crap they peddle the public is unbelievable:eek:o

9. valboskie

valboskie Member

Club:
    NASGARC AND SCOTIA FT
    You can post with parcel force 48 hour.
    You must use the 48 hour service as it goes by train and road.
    And you can insure your item.
    Wrap with a minimum of 5cm thick bubble wrap.
    On another forum a claim was put in for a gouge in a custom stock they never paid out as wrapping was less than 5cm they said for breakable and fragile items thats the minimum it turns out in there eyes for rifles.

10. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Club:
    SCOTIA FTC
    They will say anything not to pay out. The way parcels are treated is shocking.

11. ZakFT

ZakFT Member

Club:
    Castleton FTC / Tondu / Nelson
    This should help you as covered before:

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17424&referrerid=3407

12. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

cheers all, just contacted the shop and they are going to send me a courier :) makes life a shed load easier :)
    now thats customer service.. wish i lived closer to leeds to use them more.. just a shame its a 4 hour trip to go there :(