Guns on 'planes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simona, Aug 29, 2011.

1. simona

simona Active Member

Hello men

A question for the international FT brigade. I'm about to pack my gun up for Italy and I'm wondering how much pressure to leave in the gun. I assume the hold is not at cabin presure so I don't want to pack it with a full charge, nor do I want to empty it due to potential valve mischief.

I've left about 50 bar in it - what do you lot do?

Best Regads

Simon

PS my daugters, aged 2 and 5, are currently making me a gun to take out of cardboard tubes - no problem with that on the plane, could struggle on the course though.

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I have left 10 bar in my walther, the hold is pressured . Am packing it right now , last year I traveled with it empty and it needed a long time to settle back to it happy self.:)

3. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    I'm leaving gun as is what ever was left after quick plinking which i believe is over 100bar left.

This will be the forth time ive gone through the airways and never had trouble. Saying that this will be the first trip with this paticular gun. As now ive got a regulated 400.

Are you intending taking off the scope as i know some of those feel is worth the hassle of putting it on again the other end.

Remember no pellets with the rifle put them in the case thats going in the hold. Make sure all allen keys/tools are with rifle or hold luggage.

Also do not watch as you see them load(throw) onto plane as you will not rest till your on the plinking range.

When you flying?

loop

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Thats a fair amount Loop. I was under the impression it "had" to be empty?

5. rich

rich Active Member

Don't worry about the gun.

Sea level pressure is nominally 1 bar. In a vacuum that would become 0 bar, so at a cruising altitude even if the hold is not pressurised (and it probably would be to equalise the load on the cabin floor) it will be a fraction of a bar.

Inside the tube the gun is good for close to 200 bar and maybe more. Another half a bar of differential makes no difference in practical terms.

The issue will be to do with airline regulations and pressurised containers.

6. simona

simona Active Member

Thanks for the advice,

Especially Rich, confirming my sometimes shaky logic, I supposed that the removal of a fraction of one bar confining pressure was never going to make the old girl split her sides but I also didn't know if it was manditory to empty the gun; I'll leave it as it is!

I'm flying out on Wednesday, so hopefully a little bit of practice on Thursday, departing from Gatwick at 1.05pm, stay at Schio Hotel.

Best Regards

Simon

7. NJR 100

Club:

you on easyjet too simon?

Si

8. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Booking in opens 10.30 will be parking car at 10 and if we are all together they should open 1 desk just for us shooters so not to clog all desks.

Not heard from the schofields yet maybe they are in jail and do not pass go LOL :D:eek:

the northern crew / rob and helen are on tomorrows flight to marco polo/verona so we will see how they fair lol

c u you all wed

loops

9. simona

simona Active Member

Yep, easyjet.

10. NJR 100

Club:
    so we can leave a low, 100 or less bar charge in it?

Dont the airlines check to see if a compressed cylinder is charged or not then at check in?

11. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Nope they want you away from everyone as soon as possible

They just check you haven't put ammo with the gun that also includes pellet pouch.

In fact we usually get someone who knows nothing of what the guns are or what paper work we should have and then passes the buck to a higher authority who knows even less :D

loops

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    They checked in Spain, I wasn't but know somebody was asked if they had air inside, can't recall who though.

13. njr74

njr74 New Member

when i shot the worlds in USA in 2001 i forgot to empty air out. i still had 200 Bar in cylinder!!!

i normally leave about 50 bar inside.

cheers
    Neil

14. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    We left over 100 bar in ours.
    Landed yesterday at Verona, there was a bit of a delay as the police phoned the necessary organisers (we think) to verify. ( The police office is in the departure area for rifle pick-up)

We have had a long day in Venice today and now shattered.

The Russians have just arrived too. :D

See you soon safe trip
    Paula

15. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL ..... bring back some silverware with you! :)

16. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    they dont have a clue!, they only care if your carrying explosive ammo:D,

they WILL check you dont have pellets and rifle together though, and the paperwork which was given is NOT ENOUGH to get you past customs or the police, they wer on the phone (and we were held up for nearly an hour and a half) until they decided to let us through :eek:

hope everyone else gets through alright;)