gun security

Discussion in 'UK Airgun Law' started by Olly, May 9, 2017.

1. Olly

Olly New Member

Club:
    DIB ARC
    can anyone tell me the laws on air rifle storage and security. As in locked away etc.. Only had started shooting about six months ago but been bitten by the bug so is storage just for my benefit or do they need to be in a gun case.

Hope you can help

Olly

2. viscount

viscount New Member

Things with the law have changed recently..... they are still classed as firearms and fall under the control of the firearms legislation.Special attention should be given to storing your rifle or air pistol in a manner where it cannot be removed from its ‘safe store . – this now means, you must keep any rifles or pistols in a sensible place – for example, a sensible place would NOT be in a garage or outbuilding.

Under the amended laws of February 2011, the Crime and Security Act 2010 now makes it an offence for a person in possession of an air gun (the gun owner) to fail to take “reasonable precautions†to prevent someone under the age of 18 from gaining unauthorised access to it.

*the obvious thing to do here is store your gun in a cabinet under lock and key – that way you are completely covered and within the law – however, for a sub 12 ft lb air rifle you do not necessarily need to do this – just reasonable precautions. This can mean out of sight and high up away from prying eyes and stored separately from any pellets.......

I will be keeping my air rifles in a locked gunsafe and the pellets seperate in a locked box.

keith:D

3. buzz

buzz Team Gilly

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Keep them safe in a proper Brattonsound gunsafe, my guns and scopes cost thousands a safe was around £300 makes perfect sense really, Chris Large had all his Zenith guns stolen coz they weren't locked away.
    Better safe than sorry.

4. Olly

Olly New Member

Club:
    DIB ARC
    My outbuilding is my workshop and is a concrete building, fully double glazed and with an alarm, how would this fall into the rules ? I know I am on sticky ground with this and I am also looking at getting a gun safe so the same would apply to this.. can it be stored in my workshop?

Thanks for the replies and help.

5. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    simple answer to your questions is ring your local FAO and ask him,,, asking on here will just get you a load of answers and you,ll be even more confused,

my competition rifles are locked in my gun room in cabinets with my other guns as i would never want them stolen because it would take an age to replace them and get them set up again

6. Olly

Olly New Member

Club:
    DIB ARC
    Makes sense, thanks

7. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    The law doesnt cover air rifles in this way. Basically as long as you have made reasonable precautions to keep them from under 18's then thats all that is required.
    You can ask an FAO but it's not really their main concern. The laws for SGC holders like myself and FAC holders is much more formal and prescriptive.
    Putting them in an outbuilding if secured is covering the aspects of the law for air rifles, but I think your insurance would try and get out of any claims. There is also issues of condensation and damp in an outside building but there are ways around that if you want to do it.
    As has been said already, the value of my guns and scopes is enough for me to have a good secure cabinet even if I didnt have to have one for my shotguns. Replacement new value of my main Steyr comp gun and scope would be £3000!:eek:
    All credit to the original poster for asking a good question.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  8. adam husk

adam husk here for a laugh.

Club:
    emley moor
    the law on airguns sub 12 fpe is very unclear. if you have children in your house you have to make sure they are out of the way so they can not get to them. (could just be on a wardrobe or a trigger lock or anything in-between.) mine at the moment have a padlock on the case. now as for people entering your home and taking them your house door is locked so technically they are locked away. mostly its just common sense.

9. Barry.Chapman

Barry.Chapman Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range ; Tinsley Rifle Club; Emley Moor FT Club
    One of the problems with all legislation and a problem that has kept lawyers living in the style to which they are accustomed is the definition of 'Reasonable".

"standard of the reasonable and prudent man appears to be the criterion for determining the existence of the duty to take care, as well as the standard of care which the duty calls for".

Daah who knows :lev

10. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Fully agree with that...........:mad: It's also a way of not defining rules so that they can be moved to suit a situation. :(

11. Olly

Olly New Member

Club:
    DIB ARC
    I actually had to speak to three fao before one of them could help me and even he said its a bit vague but my circumstances (locked in my workshop that is also alarmed) fit the bill as far as he was concerned.

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Get it in writing from them and his name and number.

13. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    God luck with that! He hasn't even committed to anything other than a vague comment.
    I am not surprised that it took three FAO's to find one to make a comment, as I mentioned before they are not interested in air rifles. They see their job as licensing FAC's and SGC's.
    When I opened my cabinet full of at least 7 PCP's last year for the FAO to check my Shotgun, he didnt want to even glance or talk about the air rifles. In their eyes It's not what they are paid to do(even though that is not strictly true).

I suppose it is completely different in Northern Ireland where you need to comply with FAO's for air guns on a FAC.

Last edited: May 17, 2017