Gun Safety

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by beaker, Sep 12, 2018.

1. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

The safety line through the barrel is a non starter, forget it, it will never happen due to ergonomics.

2. mike

mike Active Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    Could you really see 90 shooters at a HFT/FT shoot in the middle of winter with the wind blowing, pouring with rain trying to thread a safety line through the barrel of their rifles between lanes....never going to happen!

Fortunately both FT and HFT have excellent safety records, with instances of anyone being injured by an accidental discharge (behave you lot) of an air rifle being extremely rare, although I'm not saying that there haven't been some near misses, and I am not saying the we should be complacent about gun safety as we can never think that we are all fully compliant, as we are all prone to the odd memory laps.

As an RCO and a Chief Marshal and course setter for my club, with over 150 members, safe shooting and the safety of everyone either attending competitions or using the clubs facilities is our No.one priority (especially now with insurance companies finding any excuse for not paying out if anything did go wrong) as part of the club's management committee you take on the responsibility of everyone's safety and wellbeing whilst they are on your grounds, who would have thought that when we set up a competition (SH, Bowman, or Winter League) that we would now have to write out a risk assessment for insurance purposes.

But the OP does make a very valuable point and I admit something that I had not considered, so I will be adding another paragraph to our safety briefing at the beginning of all our shoots.

ATB
    Mike.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Bensile and RobF like this.
  3. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I agree that HFT and FT have very good safety records given a fair proportion have probably never received formal weapons training /qualified RCO's etc. Let's ensure it stays that way, oh and safety wires aren't difficult to insert; look how many 10m derived rifles are used in HFT and FT ;):D

4. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Is there any point? You'd be demonstrating to your shooting partner presumably. Who has just watched you take two shots and not load it again. ;)

Are these wires poking out of the breech? Rifles with side lever cocking mechs might not do too well in a bag, I can imagine the open lever will get caught or be forced closed at some point which is going to break something.

5. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Well I'm not trying to push the safety wire, as I said, considering how many of us are shooting across the country on and given Sunday we are doing just fine. I only bring it up as the topic comes up again. A bag won't break anything the rifles just sit in them between lanes and cocking levers don't need to be fully open. Anyway, there are rifles that are a pig, springers for one, but if the worst were to happen would we as a community push back?

The other way to look at this, and better for sure is we are all responsible for safety, when you are paired up with your partner it's not only the rules you should be applying, buddy buddy marshaling and all that, but if your partner is pointing their rifle in directions that are not safe tell them; ideally before they've swept the firing line.

You should know exactly what state their rifle is from the first shot to the last but that doesn't mean you shouldn't mention it because you know they are unloaded at the time. You don't have to be an asshole about it, I've probably only needed to mention a few times in ten years.

mike and Waldo like this.
  6. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I love the clubs that make you remove the magazine between lanes, and everyone is wandering round with a cocked PCP!!!!

And then make a springer have a broken barrel which proves nothing, but nothing at all.
    You have no idea of the safety of a pcp, little finger cocking, but a springer has a load of effort going in, so you know!

7. AlexS

AlexS Active Member

Why not approach it from the other end. Make every rifle cocked, loaded and off safety at all times, to make sure everybody pays attention to what he is doing. The first rule is still to only point the gun in a safe direction. If everybody is adhering to this simplest of rules, nothing will happen, even with a accidential discharge between the lanes.

8. mike

mike Active Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  9. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Yes it does. It proves the rifle isnt cocked as long as the barrel is just cracked open.

As for cocked PCPs, either dry fire it after removing the mag or decock it. Either way, not cocked.

Waldo and mike like this.
  10. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

To decock a PCP just pull the trigger while slowly releasing the cocking handle/slide /knob.

11. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    De cocking a pcp, whilst making it safe, does nothing, absolutely nothing to make anyone else who gets muzzle swept by it feel any safer.

12. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Completely agree, But I think the safety issue comes in two parts, Firstly the gun must be safe at all times unless taking a shot, Unless the gun is magazine fed the gun will be safe once the shot is taken, unless it is re-cocked, Magazine fed rifles obviously need re-cocking to facilitate removing the magazine, hence the need to de-cock or dry fire the gun immediately after removing the magazine, The gun is now safe!,
    The second safety issue relates to your post, Making sure everyone feels safe and comfortable with the actions of the people around them, Sweeping the line and generally waving a gun about is not conducive to this and adds a question mark whether the person can be trusted to have correctly carried out making the gun safe in the first place, Education is key here so when you see it point it out.

Waldo likes this.
  13. beaker

beaker Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Thanks for your reply's, so in all, if we don't see a gun we tend to be unconcerned as we all assume it's in a unloaded condition tucked away in a warm/dry bag.

Bensile likes this.