Gun Safety

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by beaker, Sep 12, 2018.

1. beaker

beaker Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    A lot of clubs have a rule of barrel up or barrel down when walking with rifles, that i get.
    Unless of course it's in a gun bag then you can point it anyway you like?
    Is it what you don't see you don't worry about or is there more to it.
    just bored, corrie on TV and curious.
    Keith

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Simon gibson

Simon gibson Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I think if it’s in a gun bag then you don’t have access to the trigger so it is deemed safe.

3. beaker

beaker Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    But the lining of gun bag could catch trigger just as much as clothing when carrying.

4. frank

frank Active Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Nobody likes a gun pointing towards them so if its in a bag its less intimidating, The important thing is the gun must not be cocked or loaded whether it is in a bag or being carried so catching the trigger should not be an issue

5. mike

mike Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    Then buy yourself a decent gun bag that has a smooth lining without anything attached to it like tie down straps.

Lets be honest here, if someone was to put an air rifle (or any other rifle/shot gun) loaded into a gun bag without checking that it was safe and unloaded, really should never be alowed anywhere near any type of firearm, let alone in the same room!

But they are out there......long story short.

I was a cab driver for 20yrs, one passenger that I got talking to about air rifles showed me the entrance and exit wound of a pellet in his left arm, the pellet went in just in front of his elbow travelled along the forearm and out just before the wrist, this happend when he decided to clean his rifle a week later after a very, very soaking wet day hunting rabbit's, in a rush to get out of the rain and home to dry out, he just shoved the rifle in the bag and left it in the boot if his car.

The story went on and involves armed Police, a frightened neighbour who thought the guy had tried to shoot himself, a lot of blood and a devorice :)

ATB
    Mike

6. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Active Member

Would a 12ftlb pellet be able to go through a good quality ballistic nylon gun bag ?

7. DAVALI

DAVALI New Member

Club:
    Lea Valley AGC
    As a range officer I’ve found more users of pistols who have made safety errors including those who should know better, I could recount many horror stories that would make your toes curl!!.

DaveM.

8. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Try shooting your bag with a cleaning felt , I promise you it won’t be water proof afterwards .
    I’d be far more concerned about people sweeping their rifles out of a bag than in one.

9. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Anyone silly enough to put a loaded air rifle/pistol into a bag/case and walk around with it should be hung up by his/her ears and left to rot......

Stupid negligence is stupid negligence... simple as that.

LittleJack, Waldo and frank like this.
  10. Omega

Omega New Member

Club:
    Anston
    I agree with Mike's second paragraph , safety first, never carry a loaded weapon.And never point it at any person.

LittleJack likes this.
  11. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Any gun regardless of type should be cleared as safe before being put away.
    A gun bag will slow a pellet down, but not enough to make the slightest bit of difference if you happen to be in the way.

LittleJack and RobF like this.
  12. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I run an indoor public air gun range - nothing surprises me anymore sadly :(

It's actually very common for people to put their gun in the bag cocked - they cock their gun to remove the magazine and don't know how to de-cock it. Only one more step and they have a cocked and loaded gun in their bag.

13. scruff

scruff Member

Club:
    purley chase
    it is a pity but you still see people carrying rifles horizontal and pointing at other shooters....and yes these are shooters that should know better.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't think having a gun in a bag is an excuse to point them at someone. One other problem with them is you can't tell with some which way they're pointing.

Ash Bailey likes this.
  15. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Perhaps we should introduce the system that is used on firearms ranges where the shooter has to demonstrate the gun is safe/unloaded /decocked before putting it in a bag /case.
    This could also apply after every lane and before putting the gun on a gun bag or traveling to the next lane.

beaker likes this.
  16. Dale

Dale Active Member

In principle a very good idea.

The only issue I could see is that any rifle that uses a probe to seat a pellet into the barrel is going to be awkward to easily prove clear visually as is done with firearms.

The like of the Pro-Target, Steyr's, Anschutz, FWB's and most spring guns would be dead easy, but the Walther's, EV2's, FTP900's and other probe loaders would need some thought as to a suitable proving clear procedure.

17. Dale

Dale Active Member

Quite right, but provided the rifle has been cleared prior to putting it in the bag, 'pointing' becomes a bit moot, as it is safe and not able to be directly or readily accessed. If this wasn't the case there is hardly a range in the country that could operate.

As to the second point, I use a rectangular bag when carrying my firearms on ranges. When given the unbag command from the RO, it is a simple matter to unzip partially to confirm the muzzle direction. If you are pointing the wrong way just turn the bag around before fully unzipping and removing the rifle.

18. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

There is absolutely no problem in proving any air rifle is empty and uncocked. Just cock and fire it into the floor, works for any type of gun.
    If the pellet is a thumb loader, not a probe loader, just show the empty breech and pull the trigger, no need to even cock it.

19. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    We've been here before not so long ago. I agree with the points above but as I said before a safety line running through the breech and out the barrel shows the rifle is clear beyond all doubt. It doesn't negate good weapon/gun safety ie never pointing it at anyone or being muzzle down etc. But it is safe, never heard of anyone shooting someone with a safety line inserted and that's because you can't.

20. Dale

Dale Active Member

Quite true, I was working from a point of do you really want lots of dry firing going on.